Dress code at the signature resort restaurants

OneofThree

I believe cargo shorts are OK for fine dining AT A DISNEY PARK. I would never wear shorts of any kind to a fancy meal at a classy restaurant. But at a Disney restaurant cargo shorts (NICE cargo shorts) are just fine.

In the parks, I absolutely agree. In my 40's, I started going to WDW when you were expected to wear a jacket onto the Empress Lily or to Broadway at the Top (now, California Grill) for example. My understanding is that while some of this is definitely relaxed, the fine dining establishments at some of the resorts still provide some guidelines in keeping with the vision for those restaurants. I would put CG in that category, and I'm pretty sure WDW indicates as much.

BoardwalkGigi

In the parks, I absolutely agree. In my 40's, I started going to WDW when you were expected to wear a jacket onto the Empress Lily or to Broadway at the Top (now, California Grill) for example. My understanding is that while some of this is definitely relaxed, the fine dining establishments at some of the resorts still provide some guidelines in keeping with the vision for those restaurants. I would put CG in that category, and I'm pretty sure WDW indicates as much.
You are correct that they give guidelines. They don't do much if anything to enforce them though. I personally like dressing up and would be fine with enforcement of a dress code. I don't see it happening though because many people favor comfort over decorum and Disney doesn't like to confront guests.

danyoung56

...the fine dining establishments at some of the resorts still provide some guidelines in keeping with the vision for those restaurants. I would put CG in that category, and I'm pretty sure WDW indicates as much.

From the Walt Disney World website -

"Men may wear khakis, slacks or dress shorts and collared shirts. Jeans may be worn if in good condition. Sport coats are optional. Women may wear Capri pants, skirts, dresses or dress shorts. Jeans may be worn if in good condition. Not permitted are tank tops, flip-flops, swimsuits, swimsuit cover-ups, hats for gentlemen, cut-offs, torn clothing and t-shirts with offensive language and/or graphics."

Pretty much says it all right there.

cdeev8690

1. You have 8 days at Disney, right? You have nothing but time. You don't need to cram non-stop park activities into your daily itinerary otherwise you're going to be running on fumes by the midway point. Take. It. Easy. It's your vacation after all!
2. Nice cut off shorts (not denim) and a short sleeved button down or polo are fine for California Grill IMO. I permit my significant other to wear his black vans tennis shoes because it's still Disney and we probably came to the restaurant from a park. If you were to be coming from your hotel, maybe consider boat shoes or loafers or something a bit nicer. His tennis shoes are clean and in good shape so I don't think anyone would be too offended at the sight of them. I can get away with wearing a Maxi dress or a romper and nice sandals from the park to just about any restaurant on property without looking out of place. but then again...I don't care what anyone thinks about my outfit selections whilst walking around Magic Kingdom.

Now if you were going to Victoria & Alberts, I'd say wear the dress pants and the loafers and perhaps a jacket. California Grill is still fancier than any park restaurant but I don't think you need to prepare like you're going to a wedding.

At the end of the day, it's Disney and these dress codes are more like suggestions than rules.

KG6802

We were at the Yachtsman last month for dinner. I wore a dress and my husband wore dress pants and a collared shirt. The hostess thanked us both before seating us for dressing up. She said the staff always appreciate when people dress appropriately for the restaurant. After dinner we went into Jackson Square at POFQ and the cast members asked us where we had dinner and thanked us for dressing up as well.

Weather_Lady

Signature dining wear (except at V&A) is only a step or two above normal park wear in formality. If you don't want to wear a signature-appropriate outfit (e.g., nice tennis shoes or oxfords, dress shorts or chinos and a polo) to the parks, and if you don't want to return to your room to change, why not bring an extra shirt and/or a pair of nicer shoes with you in your park bag, along with whatever other items (e.g., deodorant, toothbrush and toothpaste, a comb) you might want. Arrive 5 minutes earlier at the resort for your dining reservation, and duck into the lobby restrooms to change and freshen up. You'll look better, you'll feel better, you won't have had to sacrifice park time for your dining plans, and you'll be able to relax and enjoy your meal more, with no worries as whether you're dressed appropriately.

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

So a nice pair of shorts and a polo shirt would work, but I also assume no tennis shoes? Just curious.

The dress code does not specify footwear, except to say "no flip-flops." From all I've read (and seen in photos), tennis shoes and leather/suede sneakers (e.g., Vans) and Oxfords, so long as they're clean and in good condition, are perfectly acceptable, particularly during the day. In my opinion, if it looks like something you'd wear to lunch at a country club rather than to the gym, I think you've struck the right chord.

larandtra

Ive never seen them say anything to anyone in a park signature who is in shorts or more casual clothing. Even Tiffins and Le Cellier seem to accept it as part of being in a park. But, Narcoosees, Yachtsman, Flying Fish, and Jiko will remind you of where you are

ABQ

I still love the Men's Hats thing :). One day, I MUST wear a proper 1940's headpiece.... I will, of course, take it off for dinner :).
Of course -- because you are clearly a gentleman, and aware of proper hat etiquette. I'm sure you'll look very natty in your hat, and I hope you'll post photos!
Typically, I will stop by the local haberdashery prior to any meal to ensure I have the appropriate kerchief or cravat. ;):p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom