Dress code at the signature resort restaurants

joejccva71

Original Poster
I just realized that there was a "business casual" dress code at restaurants like California Grill, Yachtsman Steakhouse, Flying Fish, etc. I'm kinda amazed why they would do this as it's fine for people that actually are staying in those resorts, but for those that don't and want to experience the dining at these locations would really need to hike it back to their own resort and change clothes to hike it back to the restaurant of choice.

This seriously hurts the time value of spending at the parks.

I had planned a nice 8 day trip and having the deluxe dining plan, we want to eat at the best restaurants but we would have to leave parks early to take buses back to our resort to change and then buses back to the restaurant resort.

Example:

Day 6:
- Morning thru Late Afternoon at Animal Kingdom
- Then bus over to Magic Kingdom for some additional FP+ attractions
- Dinner reservation at California Grill at 8:30pm. We figure we could just walk over or take the Monorail.

But now we would need to take the bus back to Pop Century, change clothes, and then bus it back to MK again.

Just seems like a huge waste of time. What have you guys done? Just leave the parks early?

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

Now imagine what you just wrote, I'm in a nice restaurant and I've got 200 funky sweaty hot people (by your own admission) chowing down along side you. lol Yikes

Your reservation is pretty late, surely heading back for a quick change won't be so bad?

I'm with the restaurant on this one, we usually go to the world in August and after a hot day in Animal kingdom I'm showering before a sit down meal.

but I don't tour commando style, we go back to the resort for a break

BoardwalkGigi

The restaurants you pointed out, California Grill, Yachtsman, and Flying Fish, aren't in the parks. They're all in the nicer resorts. We always go back to our resort rooms, clean up and change into nice clothes beforehand. I don't consider it a waste of time because having dinner at a signature restaurant each night (and dressing appropriately for it) is one of our favorite things during a Disney vacation. It's all a matter of how you enjoy spending your time.

eliza61nyc

Ok you both made good points. Now that I think about it, makes sense. :)
I think you'll do fine. your reservations are at a great time. So for your Cali grill reservations, lets say you guys head back get a quick refresh, have a great meal, the MK is some times open to 11, easy walk from Contemporary after dinner to check out the fireworks and then relax for the night.

Also my husband has worn nicer shorts and shirt to California grill and was really comfortable.

joejccva71

Original Poster
I think you'll do fine. your reservations are at a great time. So for your Cali grill reservations, lets say you guys head back get a quick refresh, have a great meal, the MK is some times open to 11, easy walk from Contemporary after dinner to check out the fireworks and then relax for the night.

Also my husband has worn nicer shorts and shirt to California grill and was really comfortable.

So a nice pair of shorts and a polo shirt would work, but I also assume no tennis shoes? Just curious.

BoardwalkGigi

So a nice pair of shorts and a polo shirt would work, but I also assume no tennis shoes? Just curious.
My husband and sons wear something along the lines of Sperry Boat Shoes. They look more polished than athletic shoes but are still comfortable if we walk after dinner. I don't think any restaurant is going to ask you to leave because of footwear (other than maybe Victoria and Albert's), and in general I think everyone is willing to give leeway in the area of footwear simply because we all walk a lot of miles on a Disney trip and the feet need pampering. For example, I've been known to wear hiking sandals with a dress or skirt to dinner at Disney, which I wouldn't normally do elsewhere. I would say, if you can't stand the thought of any shoe other than your tennis shoes after a long day on your feet, at least make sure they're clean and in decent shape. It's always a good idea to bring more than one pair of shoes so maybe save your nicer ones for dinner?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Ate at Citricos a few weeks ago. My dressed up, and I mean dressed up. I wore a nice pair of slacks with a nice sweater top. My SIL wore nice slacks, dress shirt, tie and suspenders (Spiderman). The young woman at check-in thought my daughter was eating at V&A. As we were seated, I noticed I was overdressed.

There's no real dress code, other than V&A. As long as you have clothes on, they'll seat you. And no one cares.

JohnD

I just realized that there was a "business casual" dress code at restaurants like California Grill, Yachtsman Steakhouse, Flying Fish, etc. I'm kinda amazed why they would do this as it's fine for people that actually are staying in those resorts, but for those that don't and want to experience the dining at these locations would really need to hike it back to their own resort and change clothes to hike it back to the restaurant of choice.

This seriously hurts the time value of spending at the parks.

I had planned a nice 8 day trip and having the deluxe dining plan, we want to eat at the best restaurants but we would have to leave parks early to take buses back to our resort to change and then buses back to the restaurant resort.

Example:

Day 6:
- Then bus over to Magic Kingdom for some additional FP+ attractions
- Dinner reservation at California Grill at 8:30pm. We figure we could just walk over or take the Monorail.

But now we would need to take the bus back to Pop Century, change clothes, and then bus it back to MK again.

Just seems like a huge waste of time. What have you guys done? Just leave the parks early?

Yikes! After a full day in AK, I would seriously consider going back to the resort first to clean up/rest (forget dress code at signature restaurant) before going back to any ADR.

I would re-order like this:

Day 6:
- Then bus back to resort for clean up / rest / "5:00pm beverages"
- Bus to MK. Depending on time, hop into MK for a few rides, or maybe do a monorail crawl.
- Dinner reservation at California Grill at 8:30pm.
- If MK open later, hop back into MK for a few rides.

Phonedave

WDW has gone downhill in my opinion as far as dress codes are concerned. They say they have dress codes, but they will let anything from sneakers, jean shorts, and a graphic tee on up. (V&A not withstanding).

Having said that, they do realize that the parks are the reason many people are there, and people dress accordingly. I\f it is 90F out, and you are planning on going to the parks afterwards, nice shorts, a polo shirt, and boat shoes are just fine. However in the OPs case, after a long hot day at the park, I would want a shower. Then after a late dinner, you are not going to be doing much more park time, so slacks could even be the way to go.

As a note, I would consider an Uber over to Cali Grill. You don't want to be showered and dressed and crammed up on a bus. Take the bus back if you want (walk over to the MK bus stops, and go direct from there) but I would consider a taxi or Uber. (Or if you do take the bus, take it to MK, and then walk over to the GF, that is most likely the fastest)

-dave

drwadadli

I have worn shorts and polo shirt or shorts and a nice silk shirt with no problems. If we have time, we typically go back to the room, freshen up and change into slacks since we are usually there during the winter and fall when it is cooler in the evening anyhow.

But it you have any questions, here is what the dress code is per Disney's website:

Dress Code
Guests are asked to adhere to the minimum dress code requirements at this Signature Dining experience. Dressier attire is also welcome. Please explore the minimum dress code requirements:

Men may wear khakis, slacks or dress shorts and collared shirts. Jeans may be worn if in good condition. Sport coats are optional.

Women may wear Capri pants, skirts, dresses or dress shorts. Jeans may be worn if in good condition.

Not permitted are tank tops, flip-flops, swimsuits, swimsuit cover-ups, hats for gentlemen, cut-offs, torn clothing and t-shirts with offensive language and/or graphics.

OneofThree

I'm guessing that you don't think there's such a thing as NICE cargo shorts.

Are those the ones without holes? :D

And if there are those at the CG who think my cargo shorts are inappropriate, then I just don't care.

If you truly believe cargo shorts are appropriate for fine dining, you are the reason for the rule, and I just can't help you.

crxbrett

I always wear dress shorts, a nice short sleeved, collared button down and all black casual sneakers. Never had a problem and always feel casual but still nice in there. If you wear nice shorts and a collared shirt, you should be fine.

I will say everytime I have been to CA Grill there are some who are wearing T's, jerseys, ball caps and flip flops or banged up tennies shoes. Me personally? I would never do that in a nice restaurant. But it seems like Disney doesn't enforce the dress code really.

I usually go right when they open at 5p, so maybe there are more walk ins for the bar at that time, too.

Later on there may be more dressed up crowds for dinner?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom