Downtown Disney or Disney Springs?

Downtown Disney or Disney Springs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Since1976

I would have preferred something that rolls off the tongue like DisneyPlace or even a return to the old name Disney Village.

Disney Springs sounds a bit elitist. Might as well have called it Uptown Disney.

WDW95

Original Poster
Downtown Disney just rolls off the tongue better than Disney Springs. I think the Disney Springs name is kinda confusing and people won't know what exactly it is. Sounds more like a golf course to me. If they're really adamant on changing the name, I would say Disney Village sounds better.

janoimagine

I like Disney Springs ... a lot. Downtown Disney fit when you had a nightclub district attached to it, but sadly that is gone and being across from Saratoga Springs Resort just ties it all together, to me it feels classic and refined.

I think Disney needs more of this and less of the Walmart style funk it's merchandising group seems to be stuck in, not everyone wants Nascar style t-shirts guys ... simple is often better.

Not that their is anything wrong with Nascar, especially the night race at Bristol. :D

Jenna

I prefer Downtown Disney but that's because I'm a creature of habit and like to stick to what I know. Similarly to how I still call HS MGM.

Crazydisneyfanluke

I think Disney Springs makes the place sound relaxing. Also, i think Disney Springs sounds like a retirement home for Disney fans. Downtown Disney to me appeals to the younger generations (below 40) and makes the place sound fun and exciting.

wolf359

I'd much rather judge by the actual content than just the name. If this new development is an improvement over what has come before it, I probably wouldn't care if they were still calling it Hyperion Wharf or even just "hey look over here we have Disney stuff."

While the Downtown Disney name is going to hold nostalgic value for some that grew up with it (just like Disney Village will for others) I think the area saw such a decline while under that banner I'd rather see a new name used to help separate it from the whole debacle as much as possible.

I'm struck by just how closely Disney's downtown district is following the same trajectory as many other cities' downtowns - early popularity led to growth and expansion, but as the crowds began to wane the entire area began to fall apart. Now we're at the beginning of the massive gentrification phase designed to revitalize the area and bring people back to downtown.

And I really hope it the project is successful. I want to like going there far more than I actually do, and since Pleasure Island disappeared it is nothing more than a place to get souvenirs without having to brave the theme parks.

LucyK

Disney Springs makes me think of a spa or a water park. Plus the acronym reminds me of totally non related Disney activities :bookworm:. Downtown Disney it is.

Graham9

I really don't care what they call it, I think the focus should be on what's there, not on what the area is called. I suppose they could call it "Downtown Disney Springs" to save the arguments.

steamboatjosh

I'm so mad that Pleasure Island has closed. I had no idea when my fiancee and I chose WDW for our honeymoon and was so looking forward to it. That's one thing I never got to do because I haven't been WDW since I was kid in '99 and I just couldn't wait until I was an adult and could go there. But oh well.

Walt said that the parks and everything would always change and progress so I guess they are sticking true to that promise. Who knows, maybe it will be even better.

All I know is they better not close DisneyQuest or Planet Hollywood. If they do they are gonna have one angry fan to hear from.

koryadams

I'm forcing myself to call it Disney Springs already, that way when the name does change, I will be able to say Disney Springs without having to think about it lol. (But I do like Downtown Disney)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom