Doubting Avatar

Mike K

I agree Mike and what i find strange is Cameron going for a reduced land...seems like he s the type of guy that wants to do things right...an example of this is the release of avatar 2 being pushed back a year (2016) to make sure he gets it right

Absolutely, Cameron is an artist first and foremost and won't put any less than 100% into any project he's attached to. That said, his budgets are known to balloon beyond expectations but he's been insanely successful doing that so it's hard to argue his track record. I'm just starting to feel less than sure that Disney will still pull the trigger on this project full force. I'd love to be swayed back the other direction because I truly believe this land could be something very special.

CinematicFusion

The world of pandora fits perfectly with animal kingdom. It adds the fantasy animals AK originally had with beastly kingdom. Yes...the story of avatar was average....but the world was amazing. It's the world that is coming to animal kingdom. Imagineers could create a masterpiece of a park here. They are fresh off the success of cars land and are riding high.

I do believe the rumor is correct and if they want to build the concept Cameron and the imagineers have put on the table. It will cost 1 billion dollars.

Now comes phase two. Cutting down the original idea into something that is realistic. That budget is somewhere in the realm of 300 to 500 million. If it is successful, more could be added to the land in the future.

Pandora coming to AK is a risk. But its a great risk coming from a director with a huge track record. Sometimes you take the risk, you take the leap of faith. The next to movies will be smash hits....and AK will become one of the most beautiful parks in the Disney family.

Atomicmickey

Not sure if this is 100% relevant, but the last few paragraphs might add a little fuel to the fire. Progress City USA's Twitter posted this tonight:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/jun/24/tp-how-bits-bytes-became-a-mountain/

Yup, the last sentence, quoting the guy who did the rockwork in CarsLand, is:

"He said his next assignment will take him to Disney’s Animal Kingdom zoo at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Fla."

Here's the thing. If this is "gonna be", we can lament the fact that that money
would buy 15 Horizons. Or, we can say, "sigh, it ain't what I would have built".
But . . . dang. A Billion. It's gonna be an impressive Avatar-something-or-other,
for better or worse, that's a pretty big stake in the ground.

And remember, even the Cars-nay-sayers are walking in to Radiator Springs
and saying . . . "dang.". . . .

ebof1023

after watching the movie again last night i am really starting to get excited about this, there is huge potential for something amazing to happen with this expansion, i feel that if the land(when completed) would look anything like the jungle scenes throughout the movie it would be beautiful and worth the money.

CinematicFusion

Give you idea of what the land might have think of large floating rocks held up by vines (main vines will be the steal support structures to keep the rock above ground giving the illusion of floating). Add real vines and plants with water falls flowing off some of the floating rocks. Water would be piped up through the main vine supports. Again, adding to the illusion. Disney can sculpt anything. The large mother tree from avatar in the background created with a forced perspective.
This is an imagineers playground....and at night. Wow! I really can't wait to see this land. I think everyone will be in for a real treat.

bubbles1812

This forum is a cesspool of negativity. It's a theme park. Get real.
Wow. What an enlightening comment...and just the one post too on an upcoming Disney project...hmmm.... :rolleyes:

I actually am at least interested in seeing what Avatar has to offer. But just because people don't like it or have concerns about it doesn't mean they are being super negative. Avatar isn't Disney and was also just an "ok" movie so I totally understand where people are coming from when they have reservations about it. If you don't like criticism and would rather stick your head in the sand, go to Disboards. We don't need you here.

J03Y

i have no doubts that Disney will recreate in beautifully. my doubts are, however, in its success. Avatar did phenomenal, but only because of its special effects and 3D. how does Disney bring that success to a theme park exactly is what i'm concerned about.

orky8

Just thought I'd share this link - apparently three sequels for Avatar are going to be filmed at the same time. I find the article a bit ridiculous - headline and first sentence are about Avatar and the remaining 4 paragraphs ae about something else (don't know about what, don't care and didn't read).

http://www.showbiz411.com/2012/06/26/james-cameron-will-film-three-avatar-sequels-at-the-same-time

Just food for thought -- Cameron clearly intends to move forward full speed with his movies.

jt04

Just thought I'd share this link - apparently three sequels for Avatar are going to be filmed at the same time. I find the article a bit ridiculous - headline and first sentence are about Avatar and the remaining 4 paragraphs ae about something else (don't know about what, don't care and didn't read).

http://www.showbiz411.com/2012/06/26/james-cameron-will-film-three-avatar-sequels-at-the-same-time

Just food for thought -- Cameron clearly intends to move forward full speed with his movies.

Clearly this is major news as it relates to Avatar at DAK. Cameron just does not make bad movie making decisions so clearly he has a concept he knows will work.

That billion dollar investment being rumored makes more sense by the minute. Now I guess we know why they keep building all those hotels and DVC's on property. They want to make sure they have the capacity in place.

Mike K

The aspect of three more sequels is certainly intriguing and definitely goes to show that Cameron is just beginning with his stay on Pandora. After returning from Disneyland, I plan on revisiting Avatar due to the nature of this latest news. I haven't checked it out since I saw it theatrically in 3D and to be honest in three years since it was released I can confidently say that Avatar was the most immersive 3D film I've seen yet. I really hope that by the fall we start seeing concept art for what Avatarland is expected to look like.

tl77

Call off the dogs, sir. I was merely advocating for Beastly Kingdom as a more interesting concept with a longer shelf-life and more creative potential, not suggesting that whatever attractions were originally planned for it should be resurrected and slavishly replicated in toto.

I agree 100%, mythological creatures have been around for 2000+ years, it's unlikely they'll go out of style any time soon. Plus that concept fits a whole lot better with the rest of AK, where there's Asia, Africa, Dino-land USA, "Beastly Kingdom" was supposed to be the European area of the park. There aren't any real unique animals in Europe, but that's where Greek Mythology and Medieval Dragons come from, and I just can't understand why they'd abandon all that for something based on a movie.
And I can't say I was ever in love with the concept art for "Beastly Kingdom" though, the Stonehenge and Renaissance fair stuff wasn't for me, but "mythological creatures" as a concept is just a better concept. It's like basing an attraction around "ghosts", people have been telling ghost stories for 1000's of years, so something like the "Haunted Mansion" will always be relevant to people, because it's something that's always been a part of the culture
I agree with other posts that Disney really shouldn't do anything until avatar 2 comes out. They need to see how the movie does. If its a bomb then forget the whole thing!! Even if its a another blockbuster, maybe just do 1 attraction or show, but not a whole land. They could do so much more like Journey to the Center of the earth. That ride is supposed to be amazing.

I'd prefer to see something like this as well, if they took "Journey to the Center of the Earth" and some of the Victorian era Jules Verne/H.G. Wells esthetes of "Discoveryland" in Paris, and found a way to reverse engineer the mycological creatures into it, like a "Museum of Mythology" or something, you'd at least be starting off with a better foundation. It's hard to mess up something based in the "past" but the trouble with the whole Avatar project is that the "future" is unpredictable

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
i have no doubts that Disney will recreate in beautifully. my doubts are, however, in its success. Avatar did phenomenal, but only because of its special effects and 3D. how does Disney bring that success to a theme park exactly is what i'm concerned about.
You create a great ride. Nobody will care whether it is based on Avatar or the nightly news. As long as it is great.

twebber55

You create a great ride. Nobody will care whether it is based on Avatar or the nightly news. As long as it is great.
you could not be more right...i could care less about cars but man cars land llooks incredible with an incredible e ticket attraction

if they build it right my prediction is DAK will be come the third most visited park in america

jt04

Well well, it seems the 3 movies at once deal has silenced the doubters. Some of you could save yourself a lot of heartburn and just trust me in the first place.

tl77

Well well, it seems the 3 movies at once deal has silenced the doubters. Some of you could save yourself a lot of heartburn and just trust me in the first place.

Hahaha! just because they're going to make 3 more movies doesn't mean they're going to be good movie, they made 3 more Star Wars movie and everyone assumed they would be good too but the reviews of the Star Wars prequels, are mixed at best, shall we say

jt04

Hahaha! just because they're going to make 3 more movies doesn't mean they're going to be good movie, they made 3 more Star Wars movie and everyone assumed they would be good too but the reviews of the Star Wars prequels, are mixed at best, shall we say

You might want to examine Cameron's track record at IMDB.com.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom