Trip Report Double Double Dip Trip June 2017 (Completed!)

Hello all and welcome to my trip report. My husband, Brad, and I just got back from a WDW trip and a Disney cruise on the Dream. Why am I calling it a double double dip? Well, we checked in and out of WDW twice, our cruise was a double dip (2 stops at Castaway Cay), and we had 2 birthdays to celebrate. So sit back and relax and enjoy my trip report.

Dates of vacation: June 18 to July 1

Resort: Pop Century (both times)

Cruise: Disney Dream

Travelers: Me (Amy) and my husband (Brad)

I'm tagging a few people that have followed my past reports. If I missed you, sorry, but please follow anyway. If you are new, welcome. And if I tagged you and you don't want to read, no problem! :)

@figmentfan423 @MinnieM123 @Cesar R M @donaldtoo @MySmallWorldof4 @MOXOMUMD @JenniferS @PacNWTigger @Tuvalu @Gabe1 @betty rose @Songbird76 @sheriffwoody @bee @blgauger @BuddyThomas @fractal @93boomer @MouseDreaming @Wrangler-Rick @PUSH @Mr Ferret 88 @amjt660 @Minnesota disney fan

June 18: Our first day of vacation was not a Disney day. We live near Minneapolis (about 1 hour 15 min from the airport) and we decided to spend the night before at a hotel so we didn't have to get up so early. When my husband got home from work around noon we headed over to Minneapolis and went to one of our favorite spots, the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum. We go here a lot and I was hoping to catch the peonies in full bloom but we missed the full bloom by about 4 days. That was disappointing as it is my favorite flower, but there were still some peonies and the roses were blooming nicely. We had a nice time walking around, and a local symphony was giving a concert so we listened to that for a bit. Hubby was pleased when they played a Star Wars medley. So here are some pictures.

The peony walk, as you can see not in full bloom.
IMG_8650.JPG

Some of the roses.
IMG_8653.JPG

IMG_8656.JPG

IMG_8661.JPG

IMG_8665.JPG

The Arboretum often has changing botanical displays and so for these might be my favorite. It is a kaleidoscope and the bowl with the flowers spins, it is fun to look through.
IMG_8666.JPG

IMG_8667.JPG

After the Arboretum we headed to the Mall of America and did the Flying over America attraction since I had a 50% coupon. It is a take on Disney's Soarin. We had done the America version here before and they were running a limited showing of Flying over Canada so we opted for that. It was fine but no Disney. Although the seats at the Mall of America version are more comfortable.

Dinner that night was a the Hard Rock Cafe, we hadn't eaten at a Hard Rock in years. Neither of us could make a decision about where to eat so we settled on this since it was a few steps away from the exit of Flying over America. Now when I say settled, that soon changed when we started eating our burgers, hubs got a special Memphis burger and I had a Guinness burger. We both had herbed fries. And the meal was fantastic. Sorry no food pics of this, perhaps on another visit.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
We had this dessert too, it was a cheesecake so I'm pretty sure I ate it because Brad doesn't like cheesecake.
IMG_1116.JPG

We headed back to the room to enjoy a little time on our veranda. The deck was still wet from rain but the chairs were weren't too bad we used some extra towels to dry them off.
IMG_1128.JPG

Then we went for a stroll around the ship and played some shuffleboard.
IMG_1129.JPG

IMG_1132.JPG

IMG_1135.JPG

IMG_1143.JPG

IMG_1147.JPG

IMG_1160.JPG

We ducked into the the movie theater and watched some of Born in China, it was intriguing but we had to leave early. I've since watched the whole thing and found out we missed the first 20 minutes and the last five minutes. But it is a documentary that was easy to pick up anytime. We left the movie a little early because we wanted to play Disney trivia.

Disney trivia was okay, I think we were second. We went in thinking it was going to be really interactive, it was really just an entertainment cast member reading questions and then we checked another team's answers.
IMG_1164.JPG

The handle to to the door where the trivia was being played.
IMG_1165.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
It was time for the final walk to our stateroom. :cry::(

IMG_1166.JPG

IMG_1167.JPG

The door plate is so lonely without our fish extender.
IMG_1168.JPG

June 30, Time to disembark...

Well, we were docked and it was time to leave.
IMG_1170.JPG

Why am I smiling? I have to leave this lap of luxury!
IMG_1171.JPG

IMG_1172.JPG

Sorry the pictures are foggy, my camera fogged up in the humidity of being back at land.
IMG_1173.JPG

We did the early bird walk off, so when the ship cleared customs we would be in the first group off. And that was around 7 am, we got in line around 6:20 and the line quickly swelled behind us.

So just a couple of shots of the atrium while we waited.
IMG_1180.JPG

IMG_1175.JPG

Again, why are we smiling?! They are making us leave! Oh probably because we had a blast and we were ready for the second dip of the trip.
IMG_1176.JPG

So we were one of the first people off the ship and as we were in customs we got pulled off to the side by an agent. The agent was really awkward. It was like he was new to the job and didn't know what to ask us and like an after thought asked to check my bag. Brad was really annoyed at the agent and started to get snippy with him. But I made a little joke, which was more of a warning to Brad to cool it because that last thing we needed was to spend more time getting checked over. Needless to say nothing was found in my suitcase illegal, because I am an :angelic:! Once we left hubs was still a little peeved at being pulled over to check, but I reminded him of all the times we have gone through customs and haven't even been glanced at (even when we were over our limit on certain adult beverages from Jamaica and Mexico). He cooled down and we packed up the car and headed back to the magic.

It's a double dip trip after all....so the second dip was back to WDW.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
:eek::eek::eek:

When I worked at Tim Hortons I dropped a bag of cream on the floor that probably cost the company $5 and I felt awful about it!! I cannot imagine $25,000!! That's my tuition!!!

I know I feel bad when I break something at work too, but it is never that costly.

Pirates party looks like a blast!

I hate the hard sales pitch, especially at the end of a high end experience. We had the same thing at a beautiful spa in Jamaica. Ruined it for us.

More rude people. It was a perfect opportunity for that Father to set a good example for his son. What a shame.

The Pirate party is fun, even with a poor viewing location. As for the kid, perhaps he will remember that my husband was the decent person and gave up the table. But probably not.

Songbird76

First of all, you won the game of mini-golf.

Your TR update was so photo and content rich, that I wouldn't even know where to start (other than you won the game of mini-golf ;) ).

One thing that always catches my eye is the variety of t-shirts that you and Brad have. I'm thinking that when you go to WDW at certain times of the year, or go on a cruise, there must be some better merchandise to buy. I particularly liked Brad's blue, tie-dyed shirt.

The conch shell and starfish you two found in the water were amazing! :cool:

I'm glad you were a dork in the water on your birthday. Next time, remember, you really don't have to wait a year until your next birthday--do what I do--be a dork every day!! :p
100% completely agreed. Especially about being a dork!
I liked Brad's time to get my pirate on tshirt. Very cool. I am kicking myself for not getting the shirt I wanted last year when we were there. Do you get a new one to commemorate each trip?

Songbird76

June 29 Our last full day and a day at sea

After our pre-breakfast veranda time and regular breakfast we just hung out on the adult deck for awhile.

The hot tub on deck.
View attachment 221313

View attachment 221314
I like how the bathrooms on the ship often have a Mickey theme.
View attachment 221315

View attachment 221316

Then we split up for awhile Brad went and did a free art of the ship tour. He really enjoyed the tour and from what he shared, I think I would have enjoyed it as well. I went to the Senses spa for a massage. It was good and disappointing/uncomfortable. My massage was well done, I often go for massages back home because I get a little back pain from time to time and it helps. The Senses spa was more upscale than I am used to . My massages are at a medical/physical therapy office and while the rooms for massages are pleasant it isn't the same vibe. Still that wasn't much of a problem.

The therapist here was nice but immediately made me uncomfortable in the room. I asked that unscented products be used, it is no problem back home, and I figured here it (especially on a Disney ship) it wouldn't be a problem. I eventually got the unscented, oh the reason I like unscented is that I'm sensitive to certain smells and some can cause headaches and make me nauseous. I told the therapist this and she said "Well this IS a spa and there are a lot of scents used and around in the rooms." I just said that I needed unscented, while in my head I was thinking, "Yeah lady I know it's a spa and scents are used that doesn't mean I want them on me."

Anyway, after that the massage was good but at the end she started to try to sell me on products. Products including scented oils! Another one was a brush she had used, she said it would get rid of some of my build up. I assumed at the time she was talking about fat build up and I thought, "gee if a brush would get rid of my build up I'd be brushing 24-7." But now I think she might have been referring to dry skin. She did get a little snooty as I kept turning her down. It again made me uncomfortable because I had been feeling really relaxed and mellow and now this was making me all uptight again and I don't like the pressure (even though she didn't keep pushing). It made me feel like I was being a cheapskate, and I was paying more than double for this massage than I do at home. So while the massage was good and left my back feeling great, I can't say that the spa experience was a highlight. If I ever choose to do a massage on the ship again I will again request the unscented lotion/oil and I will also tell them I have NO intention of buying anything after the massage. So maybe I should have taken the free tour with Brad.

Oh I did enjoy using the showers in the spa area. There were different products in there and full sized showers, the ones in the cabins are a little small. Plus anyone using the fitness center can use the showers and sauna in the locker room. So maybe I'll just do that next time.

View attachment 221317

After the massage I went back to the room to meet up with Brad and we went to Cabanas at lunch. That was a HUGE mistake. It was at sea day, everyone is on the ship and it was the start of prime lunch time! YIKES! Let's just say it was tough to get a table. I finally found one for us and as I was putting my plate down a guy who I guess was also going for the table too, although he only had a drink and no food (but was not there or very close when I was putting my plate down) stood next to my table and said, "Well, that's just great I don't mind at all if your sit there!" and stalked off. Not before I shot back, "I don't mind either." Probably not my best moment. But the table was clearly empty and I had gotten there first. Brad was miffed that I said something to the guy, but I was also a little miffed at Brad for letting a kid push him away from a table earlier. Story: Brad was putting his plate down on a table when a kid with his dad in tow (neither one of them had any food, unlike Brad who had a plate and a drink) slid into a chair and said "Its our table Dad," and the Dad looked at Brad and didn't say anything but sat in the chair next to where Brad was standing. So Brad just moved on, he said it wasn't worth the fight. He was probably right, but with it being so crowded and we had food it was annoying. So anyway, after the annoyances passed we had a decent lunch. Next time we will skip Cabanas and go to one of the table service restaurants, counters, or order lunch in our room. Lesson learned.

View attachment 221318

View attachment 221319

View attachment 221321

View attachment 221320
Gotta love people trying to shame you into doing what they want you to do. Good for you for standing your ground. Question: Are the TS restaurants on the cruise included in your package or are they upcharge? Like...I noticed several times that you've been able to order more than one dessert or main course...do you have to pay or is it just considered part of your meal plan? I know people have mentioned before on cruises that certain restaurants are included and some you have to pay extra for. Do you and Brad pretty much stick to the included ones or do you do upcharge to avoid the crowds?

Songbird76

The rest of the day we spent hanging out on the adult pool decks, napping and frolicking in Satellite Falls. We also had a group meet up by the ice cream, an ice cream social. We brought Magic Shell to share with everyone and it was fun. Before dinner we also had a group farewell party.

Dinner that night was back at the Enchanted Garden and it was a different menu tonight. It was actually our last full meal on the ship. We weren't staying for breakfast in the morning, we were doing the early bird walk off.
View attachment 221341

View attachment 221342
View attachment 221343
I had the tomato mozzarella salad
View attachment 221344
And the Malaysian chicken satay. This was one of my favorite things that I ate on the ship.
View attachment 221346

Brad has some sort of tuna appetizer
View attachment 221347

I got the schnitzel. The breading was nice and crisp, but lacked flavor. The bread came with a sun dried tomato spread that night and since by the time the entree came everyone was done with the bread I put the leftover tomato spread on the schnitzel and that made it much better. Notice there was also an anchovy on top. Luckily it was on the lemon and not touching the meat, but it still creeped me out .
View attachment 221348
Brad got lamb
View attachment 221349

The dessert menu
View attachment 221350

We both got the chocolate dessert which was good.
View attachment 221351
Satay sauce is really easy to make if you ever care to duplicate it. We make it to go with our fries. Also good on bread.
The lamb looks really yummy!!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
She did get a little snooty as I kept turning her down. It again made me uncomfortable because I had been feeling really relaxed and mellow and now this was making me all uptight again and I don't like the pressure (even though she didn't keep pushing). It made me feel like I was being a cheapskate, and I was paying more than double for this massage than I do at hom

I hate the hard sales pitch, especially at the end of a high end experience. We had the same thing at a beautiful spa in Jamaica. Ruined it for us.

A few times (over the past 10 years, while on vacation at WDW), I'd treat myself to a massage in the Mandara Spa in the Dolphin. It's very nice over there. Their sales approach is a lot more low key, at least in my experience there.

Prior to discovering Mandara, I went a few times (going back a number of years . . .) to the spa at the Grand Floridian. This was well before they switched their spa over to Senses. Although I liked it there, I found their sales push to be a bit much, and I didn't care for it at all. Haven't been back there since. I almost wonder if it's a Disney thing to hard sell products in their spas. Like I said, Mandara also has pricey products, but I just never felt uncomfortable telling them no, and my response was never once challenged.

Songbird76

I know I feel bad when I break something at work too, but it is never that costly.

The Pirate party is fun, even with a poor viewing location. As for the kid, perhaps he will remember that my husband was the decent person and gave up the table. But probably not.
In the Netherlands, you would just share the table. It's completely common for people to approach a table that is not full and ask to sit down in the extra chairs. Not in a sit down type restaurant where you are seated by a host, but in a cafe or something like that, absolutely. That took some getting used to when I moved here...sitting with total strangers because there's a lack of tables. Had I been Brad, I probably would have just put my plate down and sat, but I would have mentioned we weren't using the rest of the table and they were welcome to share with us as it was really crowded. But I wouldn't have done that 15 years ago before moving here.

rshell68

I could chaperone too but chaperoning 20 teenagers among thousands of other teenagers doesn't sound like a good way to spend my birthday. I've chaperoned at these youth gatherings before and it can be fun but overall its a lot of work.
My husband is a part-time youth pastor (supposed to only work 20 hours...yeah right) so I can totally appreciate your sentiment. We took his group to both nights of Night of Joy last year it was a whole lot of work!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
100% completely agreed. Especially about being a dork!
I liked Brad's time to get my pirate on tshirt. Very cool. I am kicking myself for not getting the shirt I wanted last year when we were there. Do you get a new one to commemorate each trip?

Brad found his shirt when we went to the Disney outlet store a day before we set sail. It was under $10 and he was so happy because he had wanted to bring his pirate dreads wig from his Halloween costume but he claims I wouldn't let him. All I did was point out that they were kind of heavy and would take up weight and space in his luggage. So anyway, he was happy to get a pirate shirt and in his size too. The cruise shirt I'm wearing in the picture I got at the outlet too for $8. As for us buying shirts to commemorate the trip, I guess we usually get one sometimes more. It depends on what we see.

Gotta love people trying to shame you into doing what they want you to do. Good for you for standing your ground. Question: Are the TS restaurants on the cruise included in your package or are they upcharge? Like...I noticed several times that you've been able to order more than one dessert or main course...do you have to pay or is it just considered part of your meal plan? I know people have mentioned before on cruises that certain restaurants are included and some you have to pay extra for. Do you and Brad pretty much stick to the included ones or do you do upcharge to avoid the crowds?

The Disney Dream has two upcharge restaurants Remy and Palo. So when we did the brunch at Palo there was an extra fee for that. There is also Vanelope's Sweet Shop that is an upcahrge too based on what you order, think of it like the Confectionary & Ice Cream Parlor at the Magic Kingdom. The other table service as well as the buffet and counter service options are all included in the price of your passage. And at dinner you can order as much as you want, hence the ordering of multiple dishes and desserts. There is even a soft serve ice cream station that is included in the cruise fare, so all you can eat ice cream. The coffee shop's pastries are included too but specialty coffee is not. There are also beverage stations on the main pool deck with soda and coffee that is included in your fare as well.

There is one bar 687 that offers appetizers at an upcharge as well. But all of the upcharge stuff is clearly known to passengers before they order. There is plenty to eat of the included food. Really you could be eating all day with what is included in your fare.

Satay sauce is really easy to make if you ever care to duplicate it. We make it to go with our fries. Also good on bread.
The lamb looks really yummy!!

I might have to look up a recipe for satay. It was really good.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
A few times (over the past 10 years, while on vacation at WDW), I'd treat myself to a massage in the Mandara Spa in the Dolphin. It's very nice over there. Their sales approach is a lot more low key, at least in my experience there.

Prior to discovering Mandara, I went a few times (going back a number of years . . .) to the spa at the Grand Floridian. This was well before they switched their spa over to Senses. Although I liked it there, I found their sales push to be a bit much, and I didn't care for it at all. Haven't been back there since. I almost wonder if it's a Disney thing to hard sell products in their spas. Like I said, Mandara also has pricey products, but I just never felt uncomfortable telling them no, and my response was never once challenged.

I've been wondering how the spas were on property. Maybe I'll check them out sometime. The thing is I don't want to be even gently offered products. If I want to buy something I will ask for it. But it is good to know that the Mandara spa has a soft sales approach.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
My husband is a part-time youth pastor (supposed to only work 20 hours...yeah right) so I can totally appreciate your sentiment. We took his group to both nights of Night of Joy last year it was a whole lot of work!

I have told my husband that if he wants to do a youth trip I would be on board to chaperone, but he says he doesn't want to travel to WDW with a bunch of kids for work! :)

Figgy1

Premium Member
We usually go at the end of June on our big vacation so we can celebrate the birthdays and anniversary. The rule is we can never leave our vacation to go home on my birthday because that would just make me sad. Along the lines of sad, in 2018 we won't be able to vacation over our birthdays & anniversary, my husband is a pastor and there is a big youth convention (happens every 3 years) in Houston that he has to chaperone. I could chaperone too but chaperoning 20 teenagers among thousands of other teenagers doesn't sound like a good way to spend my birthday. I've chaperoned at these youth gatherings before and it can be fun but overall its a lot of work.
Besides the fact you need a vacation from teenagers. Solo trip for your birthday, hint, hint

Figgy1

Premium Member
Mini-golfing was fun and each hole has some fun gags and the views are very nice as well.
View attachment 221224

View attachment 221225

View attachment 221226

View attachment 221227

View attachment 221228

View attachment 221229

View attachment 221230I spy with my little eye Disney popcorn:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry:

So who won? Brad says it was a tie. However, one of his shots bounced off the rim of the cup and didn't go in. He claimed it did or at least would have if the lip of the cup hadn't been raised and didn't count another stroke for himself. I didn't seem to have a problem with the lip being raised on that one. So, I claim that I really won because he should have actually got it in the hole. What do you guys think?

The kiddo pirate party was in full swing by the time we finished.
View attachment 221231

View attachment 221232

The show in the main theater was Cars 3. I don't think the seats in this theater were made for sitting for two hours, the rows are close together and it was difficult to stretch out my legs. So I was uncomfortable for most of the time. I did manage to fall asleep for about 10 minutes during the movie. I don't think I missed much though. Overall I did think Cars 3 is better than Cars 2 but I wasn't totally impressed with it either. Maybe I'll have a different opinion when I rewatch it in a comfortable recliner at home, and stay awake (maybe) for the whole thing.

We did get popcorn though. And I got a Perrier, I was pretty excited to have some bubbly water. I really don't drink a lot of soda and I was getting tired of Diet Coke as my only non-alcoholic bubbly.
View attachment 221233

gdisneyfans

he chocolate rum cake. Our tablemate got this as one of her desserts and found it to be disgusting as well.
I had that same dessert on our cruise and didn't like it either:hungover: I felt like it was really dry and the flavors just didn't mesh well together or something? Maybe it's time to update to something better!

Loving your report!! The perfect way to spend birthdays and an anniversary.

susan lees

The rest of the day we spent hanging out on the adult pool decks, napping and frolicking in Satellite Falls. We also had a group meet up by the ice cream, an ice cream social. We brought Magic Shell to share with everyone and it was fun. Before dinner we also had a group farewell party.

Dinner that night was back at the Enchanted Garden and it was a different menu tonight. It was actually our last full meal on the ship. We weren't staying for breakfast in the morning, we were doing the early bird walk off.
View attachment 221341

View attachment 221342
View attachment 221343
I had the tomato mozzarella salad
View attachment 221344
And the Malaysian chicken satay. This was one of my favorite things that I ate on the ship.
View attachment 221346

Brad has some sort of tuna appetizer
View attachment 221347

I got the schnitzel. The breading was nice and crisp, but lacked flavor. The bread came with a sun dried tomato spread that night and since by the time the entree came everyone was done with the bread I put the leftover tomato spread on the schnitzel and that made it much better. Notice there was also an anchovy on top. Luckily it was on the lemon and not touching the meat, but it still creeped me out .
View attachment 221348
Brad got lamb
View attachment 221349

The dessert menu
View attachment 221350

We both got the chocolate dessert which was good.
View attachment 221351
I haven't had magic shell in years. Definitely going to buy some now. Yum:p

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Besides the fact you need a vacation from teenagers. Solo trip for your birthday, hint, hint

I will definitely need a vacation from teenagers. I would like to do a solo over my birthday, but I get to stay home with the dog. Plus I will be take a trip a week before with my college housemate. She wants all of us that lived in the house to go somewhere for our 40th and before I the oldest of the group turn 41. But so far it is just she and I in on the trip, the rest of our former housemates are not able (or willing) to go. That's okay, I'm pushing for California so I can sneak in a side trip to Disneyland.;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom