Don't use hotel room safes????

captainkidd

Couple robbed from motel in Orlando

Orlando Sentinel, 10/04/2010

Milsa and Juan Palacios had been saving for a trip to Orlando, where they planned to take their 10- and 13-year-old daughters to Islands of Adventure and relax for a couple of days.

The Naples couple's plans were shattered, however, when their motel room was burglarized shortly after they checked in and went to dinner. Everything of value — including electronics, cash, a designer purse and sunglasses, theme-park tickets, a passport, checks and Social Security cards — was gone when they returned.

"We thought it was going to be a vacation," Milsa Palacios, 37, said. "It turned into a nightmare."

The Palacios filed a police report and demanded reimbursement from the motel for the $5,200 loss, but it was denied. A Florida law protects operators of public lodgings from most liability. Even when a hotel is negligent, a guest cannot recover more than $500 in most cases and $1,000 for jewelry or cash left with the hotel for safekeeping.

"It's obviously a statute that is meant to protect the hotel industry," Orlando lawyer Mark NeJame said. "The clear intent was to limit the rights of the guest and protect the owner."

So, what's a tourist to do?

Your simplest line of defense: Leave your valuables at home. Beyond that, don't flash money, electronics or anything else a thief might covet, said Orange County sheriff's Cpl. Marcus Camacho, who combats crime against tourists. Make sure you lock your hotel room and car doors.

"Tourists are more likely to take risks on vacation," Camacho said. "They're a little more relaxed and take fewer safety precautions."

If you must bring jewelry, large sums of cash or a passport, store them in a hotel safe, Camacho advises. Avoid leaving anything in plain view.

In Orlando, where tourism is the engine that drives the economy, hoteliers are well aware of the need to protect their guests as much as possible, said Rich Maladecki, president of the Central Florida Hotel & Lodging Association.

Most hotels have full-time security staff and work with law enforcement to root out problems, he said. Look for hotels with good lighting in hallways, at entrances and in parking lots, experts caution.

"We understand the importance of the repeat visitor," Maladecki said. "We're very conscious of the social-media networking. Who needs [to read online] 'Don't come to Orlando?'"

Visitors can further help keep themselves safe by avoiding excessive drinking, staying away from isolated areas, particularly at night, and generally avoiding looking like a stereotypical tourist: backpack or pack, sunscreen across the nose, camera, map. They also should leave anything they don't need immediately and don't want to lose — or have stolen — at their hotel or lock it in the trunk when nobody is looking.

"You have to be aware of your surroundings," Camacho said.

If the worst does happen, notify the hotel, law enforcement and your insurance company. Many homeowners' and renters' policies cover the theft of possessions away from home, said Gary Landry, vice president of the Florida Insurance Council, an industry group.

Check your coverage before you go, and buy a rider to protect jewelry and other expensive items, Landry counsels.

"Everything, of course, is subject to questions of fraud because fraud is a big issue in Florida," he said.

Palacios said she has submitted her claim to her insurance company, but she has a $1,000 deductible. She is enraged and saddened that her family ended up driving home the day after the theft instead of going to the theme park. Now they are out a lot of money, too.

"I've learned not to stay at hotels with exterior access," Palacios said. "To never leave my stuff — anything — in the room. Don't carry personal information with me.

"It was a really costly lesson."

captainkidd

Original Poster
Let me just say that in all the trips I've taken at WDW, I've been fortunate enough to never have anything stolen from the safes.

This incident sounds like it happened offsite. This is one of the things I like about the Deluxe Resorts. They've started to put in electronic safes, which are more difficult to get into. Nonetheless, this article has me a bit apprehensive about leaving things in the room safe in the future.

Upvote 0

love disney

Maybe I am missing it somewhere but could you point out where in the article it says that they put their valuables in the safe? It sounds to me like they did not actually use the safe, especially since the article points out that one way to protect your valuables is to use the in-room safe. Don't get me wrong, I feel really bad for these people and it shouldn't happen to anyone, I just think the title of this thread may be misleading.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Maybe I am missing it somewhere but could you point out where in the article it says that they put their valuables in the safe? It sounds to me like they did not actually use the safe, especially since the article points out that one way to protect your valuables is to use the in-room safe. Don't get me wrong, I feel really bad for these people and it shouldn't happen to anyone, I just think the title of this thread may be misleading.
Glad I am not the only on who thought that.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Respectfully, that article doesn't give any indication that their motel even had room safes let alone whether they used one.

The room safes in Disney resorts are either controlled by you via a swipe card access lock or by a Medeco high security lock. I highly doubt anyone could steal from the safes if they are used, unless you don't keep the key or swipe card in your possession.

I keep my passports and Canadian money in the room safe and have never had an issue. In fact, I keep my laptop out in the open for the duration of my stay without any problems either.

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

I thought the same thing.

Also, they list the family from Naples and say they had to drive home, which would obviously mean Naples Florida, not Italy. If so, why are they traveling with passports and social security cards? I live in New York and don;t take my passport to New Jersey (insert joke here). Seems strange.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
Good point - Nowhere does it mention they used the hotel safe. I couldn't imagine anyone would possibly leave those things out in the open. That's incredibly dumb.

Sorry about the thread title. Copied from the DIS. Should have read all the way through.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

I agree, why would they have needed a passport to travel so close? Unless they felt they needed ID for proof of age for the kids. :shrug:

I grew up in Orlando, moved there when I was 6 & took off when I was 16. We went out to Disney on weekends often & I've roamed the parks without adults since I was 12. Because of Adam Walsh (he was taken from a mall we shopped at often) we were always totally drilled about being safe, expecting the worst, & trusting no one. I know especially when we went into the tourist areas we were prepped extensively about extra caution because those areas are prime targets. Always have been. There's a lot of things that go down at Disney & other tourist areas that they don't want tourists to know. Tourism is that city's bread & butter. They aren't dumb to that. To this day anytime I'm headed to Disney my mom still calls to tell me to be extra careful. :animwink:

When I read about that Naples family the first thing I thought of was one of the classic mistakes I see people make all the time. Heck, I've caught myself doing it before. When you leave your room for anything do NOT walk away from the door allowing it to shut itself. It's so easy for someone to slip in. Take a moment to pull the door shut & push back against it to make sure it's all the way latched & locked.

Upvote 0

foreverbelle

I too had to reread this several times to figure out if I missed something. I have used the safe's at Disney hotels for years now and have had no problem what so ever but I agree with the PP's how many times have I walked out of there without the door closing all the way behind me. Will dif make me think the next time we are down there.

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

We stay offsite and I'm thinking why would anyone leave such valuables in their room? Housekeepers, etc can come and go in rooms as needed and it seems really crazy to leave such items when you go out of your room. If their not on me (money, sunglasses, tickets, etc.) I would be locking them in my trunk.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
We stay offsite and I'm thinking why would anyone leave such valuables in their room? Housekeepers, etc can come and go in rooms as needed and it seems really crazy to leave such items when you go out of your room. If their not on me (money, sunglasses, tickets, etc.) I would be locking them in my trunk.
Your trunk is a lot easier to get into than the room. :shrug:

Upvote 0

smk

Those in room safes are so small I doubt one could put all of what they said they lost into one. Designer purses? Sunglasses? How would all of that fit into one small in room safe? I smell a fish.

Upvote 0

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No
I have a word of warning for Safes

Well, I won't use the hotel safes anymore. A few years back while staying at All Stars Movie, I had a our safe opened and our credit cards swiped and duplicated. We and the police were able to trace it back to a mouse-keeper at the All Stars Movie Resort. He duplicated the card using his own name on the credit card.

He was fired. I received NO call from the hotel or apology. All we were told when we first asked about the possibility was that there was NO way a mousekeeper could get access to the safe.

Well, this mousekeeper went into the rooms when they were vacant, made a duplicate key using a mold, and once the room was occupied, went back in to clean it and accessed the safe.

In the end, I was told by the Police, is that this is VERY common, and they recommend NOT using the hotel safes.

I'd like to add that we have never had a bad experience with mouse-keeping other than this. We have been over 10 times to disney and always stayed at resorts. I am not trying to say that Disney Hotels (motels) are bad at all. We just don't taken anything with us that we will have to leave in the hotel safe.

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

Just by reading this, it sounds like someone trying to make an insurance claim. $5300 worth of stuff on a vacation? At a motel off site at Universal like a Motel 6 or something?

This article has fraud written all over it. The only thing in my room when I am not there worth much is my laptop from work. If someone wants it, please take it. It can be tracked anywhere if it is connected to the internet. My clothes, that would be a little bit of an issue, but no more than $300-$400. After that, there is nothing I travel with that stays in the room worth anything.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
Just by reading this, it sounds like someone trying to make an insurance claim. $5300 worth of stuff on a vacation? At a motel off site at Universal like a Motel 6 or something?

This article has fraud written all over it. The only thing in my room when I am not there worth much is my laptop from work. If someone wants it, please take it. It can be tracked anywhere if it is connected to the internet. My clothes, that would be a little bit of an issue, but no more than $300-$400. After that, there is nothing I travel with that stays in the room worth anything.

Some people are a bit odd. My MIL travels with all of her jewelery.

I only use cash and/or traveler's checks, so I've often got quite a bit in my room safe.

Upvote 0

minniemickeyfan

Just be sure to empty the safe when you leave....I forgot at Port Orleans Riverside once.:hammer: I had the key still with me and remembered that afternoon in the Magic Kingdom. The housekeeping supervisor was very helpful and they were able to get my belongings.
Now my family always reminds me starting the day before we check out!:lol:

Upvote 0

thewhitequeen

That's terrible. I happened upon a review on the bedbugregistry of all places where the guest complained that they got bit by bedbugs at the Caribbean Beach and the mousekeeper also stole all their guns. :eek:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom