Dolphin Rights: Poll for School

Do you agree that we should grant Dolphins the same rights as American Citizens?

• Yes, Dolphins are great and contribute to our Society and Economy

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • No, Dolphins are a growing problem in this Country and should be sent back to their home oceans

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

disnyfan89

Original Poster
Hello, I am currently writing a paper for my college on the topic of giving Dolphin the same rights as Americans. Here is an excerpt from my introduction to give you a better understanding of my topic:

It has long been noted the intelligence of Dolphins. Studies continue to pour out of Scientific research facilities stating the common bond between Humans and Dolphins. Dolphins have even become an important source of entertainment for the world and help boost our economy through their work in the tourisms industry. Yet these Dolphins are still being denied their undeniable rights to become American Citizens. Further more, in most social circles, Dolphins are looked down upon as lesser beings only good for an occasional laugh (often at their expenses through stereotyping) or only important when they are able to provide a service to a particular project or problem. Despite all evidence Dolphins are commonly thought of as lesser beings when compared to Americans.

For this project I also have to get first hand information and as such hope you will participate in the poll I am posting as well as leave any additional comments or thoughts on the matter in this thread.

WDWmazprty

Rights as in ALL the same rights as an American Citizen???:shrug:

I mean, I love dolphins and they're smart and everything, but they're still animals. Not humans. I don't know, I dont get this really.:shrug::lookaroun

disnyfan89

Original Poster
Rights as in ALL the same rights as an American Citizen???:shrug:

I mean, I love dolphins and they're smart and everything, but they're still animals. Not humans. I don't know, I dont get this really.:shrug::lookaroun
Yes, ALL the same rights as Americans. Dolphins perform many jobs that most Americans don't want to, with most not earning minimum wage, while also contributing to our economy (especially in states such as Texas, California, and Florida.)

Hopefully this gives you a better insight to the issues and challenges dolphins face in our country.

KJ1081

We're animals too, we're primates, therefore all creatures should be treated equally worldwide. No living creature is a piece of property. We're aren't any 'better' than any other living thing on this planet. If anything, we're far worse. We destroy the planet, kill each other, and exploit each other and other living creatures for entertainment/monetary gain/prestige. Property doesn't think, feel, react, or have relationships. Our higher position on the evolutionary ladder doesn't give us the right to take advantage of other organisms. Animals are similar to young children- they're defenseless, they can't tell us how they feel, and they need to be protected. Our justice system should treat animal abuse the same as child abuse.

Animals should never be used strictly for entertainment. While I have no problem with animal shows based on educating the general public, I do have a problem with circuses, water parks (Sea World, Marine Land), and other experiences that exploit our animal friends for entertainment and the all mighty dollar. How about we lock people in tiny cages, teach them sill meaningless tricks, and force them to humiliate themselves by performing over and over for a paying crowd.

Animals deserve even more respect and appreciation than people. Its their world that we live in- we just took it over, destroyed their habitats, and kill them for being a nuiscence-aside: I'm not talking about poeple who hunt for food- I'm talking about trophy hunters, farmers that kill animals for eating their livestock/crops- animals need to eat too and we took their land from them, so the least we can do is respect their presence and what little space they have remaining. The natural world is quickly disappearing, we need to protect and save what we can before it's gone.

All animals think, feel, and form relationships just like us- dolphins are a particularly excellent example of this. They're one of the nmost intelligent animals on the planet, and using them (or any animal) in entertainment shows cheapens and demeans them- causing the public to think they're 'dumb animals' and not worth a d@$*. This negative public opinion results in further destruction of the natural world and a lack of respect for the animals we share the planet with.

Great project btw! My opinions may seem a little out there to some people, but animal rights is one issue I'm extremely passionate about. Animal shows, pet shops, and carnival attractions (pony, camel, elephant rides, etc) are cruel. If the general public had any idea of the horrendous and inhumane treatment these animals receive, they would be up in arms. Granted, there are exceptions to every rule, but I've been working in veterinary medicine and animal rescue long enough to know that the 'good', i.e. respectful and humane, pet shops and animal shows are a rare species.

rsoxguy

Look folks, I know all of the "dumb jocks" arguments, and they have been playing terribly these past years, but how can we deny them basic human rights?

Miami-Dolphins.jpg

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Being Canadian I have no opinion one way or the other.

I'd recommend reviewing the structure, spelling and grammar of your paper with someone familiar with writing prior to handing it in. The excerpt provided is a rather poor example.

DisneyLeo18

Would someone be able to explain what kind of rights dolphins should have? I think I'm missing something here... Did you complain about them not making minimum wage? Why would we pay a dolphin? I apologize if I'm missing the point, but this doesn't make any sense to me..

And to the above poster who commented on the Miami Dolphins, that's what I thought when I saw the title :ROFLOL:

disnyfan89

Original Poster
um i sense slight sense satire but im gonna say of course, why wouldnt we want dolphins voting in our elections? :ROFLOL:
:animwink:

Being Canadian I have no opinion one way or the other.

I'd recommend reviewing the structure, spelling and grammar of your paper with someone familiar with writing prior to handing it in. The excerpt provided is a rather poor example.

The excerpt is from my rough draft and I have a feeling will be completely different when I'm done but thanks for your suggestion.

Thank you to everyone who has left their comments so far. :wave:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
The excerpt is from my rough draft and I have a feeling will be completely different when I'm done but thanks for your suggestion.
It wasn't intended as anything but constructive. I edit other people's written work on a day to day basis, trust me - I've seen much worse. :animwink:

disnyfan89

Original Poster
Im all about constructive feedback. :D As an acting major you could say I live off of it. :lol: Looking back at my post it came off as curt, which was not my intention, so I apologize for that.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Im all about constructive feedback. :D As an acting major you could say I live off of it. :lol: Looking back at my post it came off as curt, which was not my intention, so I apologize for that.
No apology required, I tend to be a bit of a grammar Nazi.

And having served for 16 years, I "corrected" my share of Majors! :lol: Not always with the best of outcomes for me... :lookaroun

palmage

We're animals too, we're primates, therefore all creatures should be treated equally worldwide. No living creature is a piece of property. We're aren't any 'better' than any other living thing on this planet. If anything, we're far worse. We destroy the planet, kill each other, and exploit each other and other living creatures for .
We kill other animals too, and they taste great!!!

GenerationX

This is a great idea for a paper! My first paper in college was entitled "Why It Is UnAmerican to Put Jelly on a Peanut Butter Sandwich" featuring such logical reasoning as "Does peanut butter try to escape out the sides when it has a job to do?". Sure, it sounds pointless, but I got an A on it. So, my advice is to go forward with full gusto on your paper. Good luck!

disnyfan89

Original Poster
This is a great idea for a paper! My first paper in college was entitled "Why It Is UnAmerican to Put Jelly on a Peanut Butter Sandwich" featuring such logical reasoning as "Does peanut butter try to escape out the sides when it has a job to do?". Sure, it sounds pointless, but I got an A on it. So, my advice is to go forward with full gusto on your paper. Good luck!
Fun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom