Dolphin or....

awoogala

Original Poster
So, we are hitting Disney in November, before Thanksgiving.
We got a good deal on Dolphin through a group rate.
I am still hemming and hawing, since it isn't a "disney" hotel.
It looks beautiful and we love EPCOT area, and I just can't see spending $300 a night for Boardwalk anymore.
My conundrum is this- though I don't like the fastpass+ system, it looks like it will at least partially be rolling out before then.. it seems Disney hotels will be the only ones to get the fp+ (in some random, undisclosed pattern). Assuming it would not be at the Dolphin, but may be at Disney hotels, and we may get screwed for fp then..
Do we look at booking a moderate at Disney just for the "hope" that we might get the fp+? Or stay at the lovely Dolphin, and hope it isn't rolled out?
Woud you pick a moderate Disney hotel over the Dolphin? The cost would be the same- the discount at a disney moderate is the rate we are getting at the deluxe dolphin.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
It appears that Swan/Dolphin and the Hilton by DTD are in limbo land with the whole Magic Band thing.
Can you just hold onto the Dolphin for a while and wait it out...transfer to a Disney owned hotel if necessary if the roll out is complete by then. There still isn't any word on when the standard FP machines will go bye-bye.
Everything I've heard to day is a non-committal later this year....

Mukta

I stayed at the Dolphin in Dec of 2012. I liked staying in the Epcot area because it saves me a lot of time getting to DHS and epcot.

Right now, I don't want any part of FP+ or the bands. I want them to work out a few more kinks.

Keep in mind there is a high parking fee and resort fee at the Dolphin, so the price might not be as low as you are thinking.

awoogala

Original Poster
This is exactly what is killing me. Wish I knew what was going on. If FP+ is out, will there be any decent fp? I know how to do fp..lol I would rather be on the old system than the new one- and it seems Dolphin is better than say, a moderate... but the not knowing is making it hard- plus, the room discounts may be gone soon. Oh well, guess I can't know it all.

awoogala

Original Poster
I stayed at the Dolphin in Dec of 2012. I liked staying in the Epcot area because it saves me a lot of time getting to DHS and epcot.

Right now, I don't want any part of FP+ or the bands. I want them to work out a few more kinks.

Keep in mind there is a high parking fee and resort fee at the Dolphin, so the price might not be as low as you are thinking.
Yeah, no, my price includes all of that, for less than a moderate.. we got a GOOD deal.

HollyAD

I really loved the Dolphin when we stayed there. It has been a few years but it still seemed like Disney to me. We loved the boardwalk area and the ability to take boats. I would take advantage of getting a good deal and stay at the Dolphin!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
If it is a lot better deal I would probably go for the Dolphin. I know it isn't a total Disney hotel but close enough for me with the access to EMH and transportation. The only think lacking for me is no Magical Express, I don't like renting cars I worry too much about wrecking them.

luv

I haven't been into the rooms in a few years, but I'm a fan of the hotel. Love the pool (my favorite of all Disney hotel pools) and think Picabu is Disney's REAL best kept secret. :) Best fast food in any hotel, IMO. I like the Fountain, too.

I don't love the resort fee and parking fee added on and wish to god they'd just include those in the room rate. Finding the right elevator was difficult for me the first time i stayed there. Other than that, I totally enjoyed my stays at the Dolphin.

You can't beat the location and it's cheap (for on-property hotels.)

Nobody has said this whole wristband thing will roll out by November and many have said it won't, so I wouldn't borrow ahead on trouble on that count. But I wouldn't care if I skipped it entirely...it might be more important to you. Can you change later if it becomes an issue?

Good luck with your decision. :)

tare

I think the swan and dolphin are beautiful resorts. Personally I wouldn't stay being there is no magical express and no dining plans but you are still getting most of the benefits from disney anyway. Have fun.

awoogala

Original Poster
If it is a lot better deal I would probably go for the Dolphin. I know it isn't a total Disney hotel but close enough for me with the access to EMH and transportation. The only think lacking for me is no Magical Express, I don't like renting cars I worry too much about wrecking them.
We are driving, so no worries about ME!

awoogala

Original Poster
I think the swan and dolphin are beautiful resorts. Personally I wouldn't stay being there is no magical express and no dining plans but you are still getting most of the benefits from disney anyway. Have fun.
Thanks. we drive, and don't do dining plans, so it looks like it will be good for us!

awoogala

Original Poster
I haven't been into the rooms in a few years, but I'm a fan of the hotel. Love the pool (my favorite of all Disney hotel pools) and think Picabu is Disney's REAL best kept secret. :) Best fast food in any hotel, IMO. I like the Fountain, too.

I don't love the resort fee and parking fee added on and wish to god they'd just include those in the room rate. Finding the right elevator was difficult for me the first time i stayed there. Other than that, I totally enjoyed my stays at the Dolphin.

You can't beat the location and it's cheap (for on-property hotels.)

Nobody has said this whole wristband thing will roll out by November and many have said it won't, so I wouldn't borrow ahead on trouble on that count. But I wouldn't care if I skipped it entirely...it might be more important to you. Can you change later if it becomes an issue?

Good luck with your decision. :)
Luckily, our deal includes those fees for less than a moderate, so that is why I was excited.
Thanks!

awoogala

Original Poster
Thanks for everyone's input! Looks like with our "special" group price, Dolphin is winning. Plus, I am not sure our group tickets would even qualify for the fp+ yet, seems they have not rolled it out for groups yet. So we will be staying at the Dolphin and enjoying the dream beds- beds are very important to me, or I would just stay at POP! (a few years playing roller derby has made a good bed a necessity!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom