Doing DLP during layover at CDG Questions

Rimmit

Original Poster
I'm doing some very preliminary planning for a 12 Disney Parks in two week trip. It did not start out this way and initially started out just with doing the Asia Disneys, but as luck would have it, all our flights to and from Asia go through places with Disney Parks except the start which is MIA but we can easily knock out WDW before leaving and then heading to MIA to start the trip. The way our flights randomly ended up based on Award availability ended up being MIA-CDG-PVG-HKG-NRT-LAX. So the fact that we ended up with LAX and CDG spawned us to try and do them all in one trip.

The trip would start Dec 19th and we’d be stopping over in Paris on Dec 23rd. We are highly experienced travelers, and have had plans completely blow up in our face many times (including my wife being run over by a car in Zimbabwe which is the story of a lifetime) and have been to DLP before so we have the experience to be efficient. It was in 2018 prepandemic so I know a lot has changed at DLP so it’s not like going to WDW where you have it all memorized. We dont need to do much at DLP and WDS other than basically walk in the door for a pic to check it off the box to say we did the 12 parks in 15 days. Anything extra such as 1-2 rides, or a show is lagniappe.

Flight is a red eye that leaves MIA at 2310 arrives at Paris (CDG) at 1405 and departs at 2320 (Same Day) for PVG. I am traveling with my wife and two kids who will be 9 and 14 at the time. The red eye is great as we are flying business and they typically sleep well in the lie flat seats so when we land they’ll have some sleep and won’t be super jet lagged.

From what I understand, the TGV is a train that runs every hour or so and stops right at Disneyland. The train ride is 9 minutes ride. If lucky with timing, we’ll arrive from the airport to Disneyland at roughly the 1600-1630 after immigration and customs. Being business we are first off the plane so can cut a little off time with customs. The latest I'd want to leave 2030 back to the airport at 2040. But will adjust based on trains schedules. Since we are flying business we get priority line access for security at the airport so that will cut some time off. TGV leaves from terminal 2 which is what Air France uses which is what we are flying on.

This gives us anywhere from 3-4 hours at DLP depending on delays which is ample time to at minimum get a picture at each park. If we managed to get a ride in each park that would be great as well but not necessary.

So some questions.

1) We’ll have a backpack and carry on luggage, where is there a locker at the airport that I would be able to check them into? I think the lounge may have lockers but am not sure.
2) Once the plane lands, how long of a walk is the train station from immigration?
3) How reliable is the train schedule? Would we be better off using uber or taxi there and back? I worry about traffic in that situation.

Once we arrive at Disneyland
4) Because of the time crunch, I'd rather not make a ticket purchase\reservation ahead of time if not necessary, but rather do it while in the air (Air France has buyable reliable wifi) so I have an idea when we are landing and if we’ll have time. A large delay will kill the plan.
5) If same day reservations are not allowed, how many days minimum in advance would I need to purchase tickets and make reservations for a late July visit on a Friday? Would reservations\tickets still be available a week out or a month out given this is peak time?
6) I can download the Disneyland Paris app and make ticket\reservation on the app and skip the ticket booth. Is there any other recommended shortcuts to get in the park quickly?

Once in the Park
8) Definitely will get Disney Premier if it looks like we’ll have 4 hours. What are the must haves or most efficient use of time without walking. It’s been since 2018 so don’t remember the park too well. Also taking into consideration differences between rides and uniqueness of ride. Indiana homes was down last time we went and it was still Aerosmith theme for the coaster back in 2018.
9) If I purchase the "FassPass" to those rides, how front of the line are they? If I only have 3-4 hours in the parks, I don't mind paying extra for those rides if I can skip the lines fully. If not, I might be limited to only 2-3 rides in total.
10) Do I need to purchase Disney Premiere Access while in the air and make reservations mid flight if it looks like we’ll make it? Or should I buy once in the park? I don’t mind booking it and losing the money if things go poorly, but want to minimize losses if things go south.

Leaving the Park
11) How's the security checkpoint at the airport? Will arriving 2 hours before my departure be enough time to get through security? We have business class so sky priority access at security. Not sure how busy CDG is at 2100. We just have to go through security and passport control as all bags have been checked
12.) What time is the nighttime spectacular as that changes crowd management significantly? How crowded is it to get back to the TGV. I remember the station got pretty crowded in 2018 and We were there during thanksgiving day. I imagine Dec 22 will be much worse.

Backup Plan
If there are any delays at the airport, we’ll skip visiting DLP and just hang at the airport lounge, shower and get some food.

Would love to hear any feedback on if this itinerary would be possible, any suggestions or tips are welcome and appreciated.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
One unknown would be international immigration at CDG - both ways. It’s so hit and miss. We’ve got to our baggage in 20 minutes. Other times 90 minutes. Same for outbound; 20 minutes, 5 minutes, an hour. Seems to depend on which way the winds blowing and who’s on strike on any given day.

Rimmit

Original Poster
One unknown would be international immigration at CDG - both ways. It’s so hit and miss. We’ve got to our baggage in 20 minutes. Other times 90 minutes. Same for outbound; 20 minutes, 5 minutes, an hour. Seems to depend on which way the winds blowing and who’s on strike on any given day.
We thankfully won’t have to pick up bags as we are in transit on the same airline so the bags will not get picked up. We will have to go through immigration which is highly variable. Being the first off the plane will help a little at least.

A lot of what happens and if we get to go to DLP will just come down to luck on the day.

nickys

Premium Member
I’ll start with the easy bit.

If you only want to buy Premier Access for a handful of rides then you just do it when you get there. The return times are pretty much immediate, you don’t choose your ride time. But at some rides you’ll still have a bit of a wait once in line, like FP+ or G+. The type you book ahead is for one ride on each attraction.

You can’t buy tickets to DLP at the gate. Not sure how far ahead you have to book, it may be you could bok on the day at CDG.

CDG is not my area of expertise but I always allow 60-90 minutes to get through immigration anywhere. It all depends on how many other flights arrive at the same time as you.

As far as trains go, remember this isn’t a line just between CDG and Marne la Valle. So delays could happen before the train arrives at CDG and DLP on the return leg.
When we were leaving and heading back to Lille there were also cancelled trains.

Rimmit

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips on the train. I’ll definitely watch the app to check for delays. Based on what happens just taking an Uber may be the best bet.

How often are the trains running behind? Is it pretty common event? As in should I assume the train is gonna run behind?

Vegas Disney Fan

There are lockers at Marne La Vallée where you could stash your stuff, not sure if there’s any at CDG though.

Your time is tight but could work, I’d be too terrified of missing my flight to enjoy it but theoretically it should be possibly.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
There are lockers at Marne La Vallée where you could stash your stuff, not sure if there’s any at CDG though.

Your time is tight but could work, I’d be too terrified of missing my flight to enjoy it but theoretically it should be possibly.
  • Is there any luggage storage at Charles de Gaulle Airport Paris?
There are lockers, where you can safely leave your luggage, at Paris-Charles de Gaulle 2 airport. It is located at the exit of the CDGVAL station, near the RER train station. The opening hours of the locker service are from 6.00 to 21.30 every day in the week from Monday to Sunday.

Rimmit

Original Poster
  • Is there any luggage storage at Charles de Gaulle Airport Paris?
There are lockers, where you can safely leave your luggage, at Paris-Charles de Gaulle 2 airport. It is located at the exit of the CDGVAL station, near the RER train station. The opening hours of the locker service are from 6.00 to 21.30 every day in the week from Monday to Sunday.
Thanks. We will definitely make use of that.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
We thankfully won’t have to pick up bags as we are in transit on the same airline so the bags will not get picked up. We will have to go through immigration which is highly variable. Being the first off the plane will help a little at least.

A lot of what happens and if we get to go to DLP will just come down to luck on the day.
Baggage is usually the easier part of CDG. It’s the security checks that can be the pain. Being first off won’t be of huge benefit when you arrive at the queue the same time as 14 flights from Mumbai. However it is swings and roundabouts. We’ve been really annoyed and we’ve also been pleasantly surprised. Good luck !

Rimmit

Original Poster
Baggage is usually the easier part of CDG. It’s the security checks that can be the pain. Being first off won’t be of huge benefit when you arrive at the queue the same time as 14 flights from Mumbai. However it is swings and roundabouts. We’ve been really annoyed and we’ve also been pleasantly surprised. Good luck !
Thanks! Yes. Seems scouring the travel forums, some say it was 2 hours to get bags that delayed them, some say it was 1.5 hours at passport control. Some get through super fast. Totally random it seems. I’ve gotten through MIA with no line and sometimes I feel the line goes for miles. Just never know.

Either way being first off the plane is at least 300 less people I have to wait behind. Every minute counts in this situation. We could get a big delay out of MIA and it all falls apart before we even start. Just got to roll the dice.

Kevin_W

This sounds like a fun idea! I like logistical challenges like this (my wife, not so much).

We've only driven to DLP so I can't help with the train questions, but as others have said, our immigration time has varied considerable in 3 family trips to CDG. Once we waited well over an hour, another time we waited less tan 5 minutes. And the third time my daughter was in a walking boot and crutches and the CDG staff grabbed a wheelchair and whisked us through some kind of priority line. It was great (though navigating DLP with a boot was less great and I would not recommend broken bones just to save time in line!).

Rimmit

Original Poster
This sounds like a fun idea! I like logistical challenges like this (my wife, not so much).

We've only driven to DLP so I can't help with the train questions, but as others have said, our immigration time has varied considerable in 3 family trips to CDG. Once we waited well over an hour, another time we waited less tan 5 minutes. And the third time my daughter was in a walking boot and crutches and the CDG staff grabbed a wheelchair and whisked us through some kind of priority line. It was great (though navigating DLP with a boot was less great and I would not recommend broken bones just to save time in line!).
I am definitely the logistics guy in our family. Thankfully the wife is always up for whatever crazy idea I come up with and my kids are high energy and do amazingly well with jet lag.

I’m probably gonna budget about an hour for immigration as some seem higher and some lower.

I know too well about using DAS sadly. When my wife was run over by a car in Zimbabwe, it was quite a recovery and we’re still not nor ever will be 100 percent but she’s moving pretty well these days. We used DAS at WDW a couple times when her injury was fresh and she couldn’t sit in a wheelchair without her leg being elevated for long periods of time. All we could think about was how we’d give anything to be in a regular line. Thankfully due to the miracle of modern medicine and lots of PT she can walk a couple miles now. We still use a wheelchair at Disney as she can’t walk the whole day, but she can sit in the wheelchair in a regular line now without immense pain. By this Dec we may be able to get rid of the wheelchair based on progress which would be great. She’s been able to get through airports without a wheelchair for a couple months now.

My wife is from New Orleans. Did not know the word Lagniappe till I started dating her. lol.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
If you’re planning to use a disability pass at DLP you need to read about it on their website.

There are 2 types of pass which give different accommodations. In both cases you will need either a doctors letter or other documentation. The website will tell you exactly what you need, depending what country you’re from. You can definitely apply for one type in advance and just collect it on arrival. Not sure about the other.

Rimmit

Original Poster
If you’re planning to use a disability pass at DLP you need to read about it on their website.

There are 2 types of pass which give different accommodations. In both cases you will need either a doctors letter or other documentation. The website will tell you exactly what you need, depending what country you’re from. You can definitely apply for one type in advance and just collect it on arrival. Not sure about the other.
We had not planned on it. Will just use the wheelchair, but she’s able to sit in the line just fine now in a wheelchair and walk decent distances. After being in a situation where we HAD to use DAS and even got the special dune buggies and clam shells, etc where she got to stay in her wheelchair We have a new appreciation for truly only using it if you just can’t wait in the line whether it be for physical or psychological issues.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom