Doing both HP Worlds in One Day. Advice?

kennyy_d

Original Poster
We are a family of 5, youngest is 13. We have one day to get BOTH HP worlds done. I heard its possible, but barely. We are going mid-May. Advice? What do we do first, and where do we start? Figured I would ask the experts! ;)

I have heard it's worth it to buy Express Passes (Like Disney's Fast Passes?) but I wasn't sure if they were applicable to HP World.

JoeCamel

Nope, no express passes for potterlands. I thin flight of the hippogrif has an express but it is not needed. Start early and catch EPA if you can (stay onsite or at a partner hotel) then use your park to park pass to hop back and forth between the lands to catch all the rides and shows.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
EP doesn't work on FJ or Gringotts

I would start in Hogsmeade and do FJ first. The line seems to move slower there. As soon at Hogwarts Express opens (30 minutes after park opening - Go to DA and do Gringotts. Then you can take your time doing the rest.

ratherbeinwdw

I highly recommend you get there at park opening. We start in Universal Studios so we can do Gringotts and then jump on The Hogwarts Express before the lines get long. The line at King's Cross has always been much longer than the one in Hogsmeade, when we've been there. The queue is much better also. And, we like the ride that way better. (The ride is different each way.) We then ride FJ in Hogsmeade. We do the rides in IOA before heading back to US for the rest of the day. We particularly like to be in Diagon Alley in the evening. When we first started going, we definitely were not able to do everything in one day, but we didn't have the Express Pass. We now do at least three partial days there. Since they close early, we still have plenty of time to go to a Disney park for the evening or morning emh's at a Disney park and then go over to Universal for the early evening and get some rest for the next day.
We will be there mid-May also. We went the same time last year, and when we got there early, we were able to do FJ twice before the line started getting long. I say "we", actually, it's my daughter, son, and son's gf who ride Gringotts and FJ. I go through the queues with them, but I don't ride those two. The queues are amazing for those two rides.

kennyy_d

Original Poster
So from what I can tell so far is:
-Get there at opening
-Don't buy an EP
-Start at IOA and the do a single rider of Escape of Gringotts

Still Questions:
-Best places to eat
-Best shows in HP World
-Does it cost extra to ride the Hogwarts Express? Someone said it was an extra $30?? Which seems crazy to me!
-I heard backpacks are prety much a no go... With a family of 5 there is no doubt we'll bring a backpack. So where are the best places to store or rent a locker for it?

Thank you all for all the help! Very much appreciated!

JoeCamel

The rides have lockers free for the length of your ride so stow your loose items there.

Best place to eat depends on your budget and tastes. The three broomsticks in Hogsmeade or the Leaky in DA have themed food. It is OK, if you want a really good meal get a ressie early in the day at Mythos. They can go fast so if you show up at 11 they can make one for 12:30 - 1:00. Not walk up but close.

You need a park to park pass to ride the train and pass back and forth from Hogs to DA/London.

JT3000

I believe Forbidden Journey is actually getting Express soon, as they recently stopped offering the castle tour in its place.

You only need a park hopper to ride the Hogwarts Express. There's no additional upcharge.

Both lands have one restaurant that are about on par with each other, but I personally recommend CityWalk if you don't mind leaving the parks.

The shows in Wizarding World are all on outdoor stages in the middle of the lands. I'm not sure if there's a printed schedule, but you'll eventually see them if you just stick around.

kennyy_d

Original Poster
I believe Forbidden Journey is actually getting Express soon, as they recently stopped offering the castle tour in its place.

You only need a park hopper to ride the Hogwarts Express. There's no additional upcharge.

Both lands have one restaurant that are about on par with each other, but I personally recommend CityWalk if you don't mind leaving the parks.

The shows in Wizarding World are all on outdoor stages in the middle of the lands. I'm not sure if there's a printed schedule, but you'll eventually see them if you just stick around.

Thank you SO MUCH. My family has always done Disney so Universal is new to us. Does CityWalk stay open past park closing?

kennyy_d

Original Poster
If I'm trying to get in ALL the HP rides, should I start on the IOA side and then take the Hogwarts Express over to US side and do single rider for Gringotts? I heard single rider is usually a 30 min wait compared to a 240 min wait..?

Jaison

If I'm trying to get in ALL the HP rides, should I start on the IOA side and then take the Hogwarts Express over to US side and do single rider for Gringotts? I heard single rider is usually a 30 min wait compared to a 240 min wait..?

One thing to note is that if you do the single rider for Gringotts you will miss a bunch of the queue, including the elevator down into the bank vaults. I would say endure the line the first time to enjoy the queue and its details, and then for subsequent visits go for the single rider to get on quicker.

Just my 2 cents.

kennyy_d

Original Poster
One thing to note is that if you do the single rider for Gringotts you will miss a bunch of the queue, including the elevator down into the bank vaults. I would say endure the line the first time to enjoy the queue and its details, and then for subsequent visits go for the single rider to get on quicker.

Just my 2 cents.
Thank you! Will have to consider that! Is there just stairs down into the vault otherwise?

kennyy_d

Original Poster
Either way you must take the stairs, however the single rider skips past a lot of the queue including the amazing pre-shows which I definitely think are not to be missed.

So (sorry I'm a planner haha) I'm thinking we go do Gringotts first while the wait is short. Then head over to Hogsmeade and do everything there, then go BACK to Diagon Alley in order to shop and look around, maybe ride Gringotts again but as single rider. Does that sound reasonable? We're going mid May so I'm predicting it to not be unbearable crowds.

Jaison

So (sorry I'm a planner haha) I'm thinking we go do Gringotts first while the wait is short. Then head over to Hogsmeade and do everything there, then go BACK to Diagon Alley in order to shop and look around, maybe ride Gringotts again but as single rider. Does that sound reasonable? We're going mid May so I'm predicting it to not be unbearable crowds.

I am sorry but I would not be the best to answer this as I dont live close or visit too often so am not aware of the crowd level at that time. I was just there this past January and was amazed at the short lines for both attractions (FJ and Gringotts) in the morning, but Gringotts got super long in the afternoon.

I would say if all you are trying to fit in is the 2 wizarding worlds you will have time for sure. Do one ride first thing, then take the train to the other, and then just enjoy that area and when finished take the train back and enjoy the first area. I am not sure it matters crowd wise which way you start, but I will say you will want to just be in the lands to appreciate them and not always be rushing through them.

Disneyhead'71

Arrive as early as possible.

No Express Passes.

Do Gringott's, Hogwarts Express, Forbidden Journey, Dragon Challenge. Lunch at 3 Broomsticks. Shop in Hogsmeade and see the 2 shows. Hogwarts Express back to Diagon Alley. Ollivander's. Shopping/shows.

Is this your first Universal experience?

kennyy_d

Original Poster
I am sorry but I would not be the best to answer this as I dont live close or visit too often so am not aware of the crowd level at that time. I was just there this past January and was amazed at the short lines for both attractions (FJ and Gringotts) in the morning, but Gringotts got super long in the afternoon.

I would say if all you are trying to fit in is the 2 wizarding worlds you will have time for sure. Do one ride first thing, then take the train to the other, and then just enjoy that area and when finished take the train back and enjoy the first area. I am not sure it matters crowd wise which way you start, but I will say you will want to just be in the lands to appreciate them and not always be rushing through them.

Thank you for all your help!

kennyy_d

Original Poster
Arrive as early as possible.

No Express Passes.

Do Gringott's, Hogwarts Express, Forbidden Journey, Dragon Challenge. Lunch at 3 Broomsticks. Shop in Hogsmeade and see the 2 shows. Hogwarts Express back to Diagon Alley. Ollivander's. Shopping/shows.

Is this your first Universal experience?

Yes! Thank you for that awesome plan! This is our first time at Universal. Only other thing we may want to check out is Jurassic Park?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom