Doing both HP Worlds in One Day. Advice?

JT3000

Honestly if you don't have little kids then there aren't that many rides outside of the Harry Potter stuff.

Only if you're comparing the Universal parks to Magic Kingdom. Even when you exclude all kiddie rides*, the UO parks currently have 9 family rides open (each.) That's the same amount as Epcot and almost twice the amount of DHS and DAK, with each park having 2 more on the way. They certainly aren't half day parks.

(*Including kiddie rides, USF currently has 11. IOA has 15.)

Last edited:

EngineJoe

Only if you're comparing the Universal parks to Magic Kingdom. Even when you exclude all kiddie rides*, the UO parks currently have 9 family rides open (each.) That's the same amount as Epcot and almost twice the amount of DHS and DAK, with each park having 2 more on the way. They certainly aren't half day parks.

(*Including kiddie rides, USF currently has 11. IOA has 15.)

I count 6 rides at Universal outside of Harry Potter and the kids rides.
1. Hollywood Rip Rocket
2. Transformer
3. MIB
4. Mummy
5. Simpsons
6. E.T.

*one could argue that Terminator is for adults, but it is not really a ride, but a 4D theater and honestly it's pretty lame and outdated as the movie is from the early 90s.

EngineJoe

Islands of Adventure: 5 rides not including Harry Potter or Kids Rides.
Spiderman
Dr Doom Freefall
Dudley Do Right Log Flume
Bluto's Barge Raft
Jurrasic Park

*Kong opening late summer
*Hulk coaster under refurbishment

JT3000

I count 6 rides at Universal outside of Harry Potter and the kids rides.
1. Hollywood Rip Rocket
2. Transformer
3. MIB
4. Mummy
5. Simpsons
6. E.T.

Despicable Me

Islands of Adventure: 5 rides not including Harry Potter or Kids Rides.
Spiderman
Dr Doom Freefall
Dudley Do Right Log Flume
Bluto's Barge Raft
Jurrasic Park

*Kong opening late summer
*Hulk coaster under refurbishment

Cat in the Hat

JT3000

Cat in the Hat and Descpicable me are for kids. Not for 13 years and up like the party in question.

I'm almost 30 and will go on those rides without any children. They are family rides.

But to play devil's advocate, if we aren't counting any similar attractions with themes that appeal to children, it only makes the comparisons to other parks more favorable to Universal. Epcot loses several rides. Magic Kingdom loses an entire land and more.

Last edited:

EngineJoe

I'm almost 30 and will go on those rides without any children. They are family rides.

But to play devil's advocate, if we aren't counting any similar attractions with themes that appeal to children, it only makes the comparisons to other parks more favorable to Universal. Epcot loses several rides. Magic Kingdom loses an entire land and more.

I don't disagree. Epcot, Animal and Hollywood are basically half day or third day parks which is why Disney is now desparately trying to upgrade them with Star Wars, Frozen and Avatar land.

Bairstow

Cat in the hat is fine- you're thinking of high in the sky trolley.
Also- anyone can ride despicable me. Only height requirement is on moving vehicles. The stationary are open to any height.

Cat in the Hat is worth doing simply because it doesn't require much time. In my experience it really doesn't develop much of a queue.
It's also the only pure dark ride in Islands, and the only other "pure" dark ride in the resort is ET.

Bairstow

Side note: dr doom could easily be the crappiest in terms of actual ride and execution in both parks. Even six flags superman does it better. It's outdated and I would much MUCH rather do cat in the hat, despicable me, or even one fish two fish over that. Speaking as an adult.

I've actually got a soft spot in my heart for Dr. Doom., mostly because of the hilariously dark video they show in the queue about "Leopold".

What Six Flags Superman ride do you see as a superior attraction?

EngineJoe

I was just mentioning rides that didn't have height requirements. I must have misread what everyone is discussing. To say minions isn't for adults or ET for that matter, is kind of dumb. That's like saying little mermaid dark ride isn't. Or Peter Pan. People can ride whatever they want- and if her sister loves the minions, I'm sure she'd much rather ride that over transformers. (That is directed at @EngineJoe not you)

Side note: dr doom could easily be the crappiest in terms of actual ride and execution in both parks. Even six flags superman does it better. It's outdated and I would much MUCH rather do cat in the hat, despicable me, or even one fish two fish over that. Speaking as an adult.

No one said ET isn't for adults. I think you are "misreading" alot.

Do people even read through the thread? OP is trying to do both parks in one day (and might do it without express pass for cost reasons) for a group of adults. It's not helpful to say "oh, you can ride everything, kids rides are for adults". that accomplishes nothing.

danpam1024

Getting back on track- Popeye and Bluto's Bilage Rat Barges and Rip Saw Falls are 2 of the funnest rides EVER! However, even if you wear a poncho ( who wears a poncho on a water ride?), you will be COMPLETELY wet. I say, if you're done with HP, and are on the IOA side, and it's raining (it's FL, probably gonna happen)- do it! And don't waste you $5 on the dryers, they really don't work. If it's a HOT day, you'll dry out pretty quickly (unless you wear jeans). We like to wear amphibious-type clothing for that purpose.

hopemax

At the beginning of Feb, I went to Universal with my Dad and two friends who are theme park fans but hadn't been to Universal since 2004. This is what we did, in the order we did them:

Despicable Me - get there before park opening, and wait for when they remove the checkpoint for EE guests (about 10 min before scheduled opening)
Rip Ride Rockit
Transformers
Mummy
Playing with the wand and exploring in Diagon Alley
Gringotts
Watched last few minutes of Celestina Warbeck
Full Show of Tales of Beedle the Bard
Ollivanders
Hogwarts Express to IOA
Lunch at Three Broomsticks
Most of the performance of the Frog Choir
Forbidden Journey
Dragon Challenge
Dragon Challenge
Poseidon's Fury
Cat in the Hat
Spiderman
Hogwarts Express back to Studios
Butterbeer and Harry Potter shopping.
Walked around the other side of Universal.

We would have had time to do MIB or Simpsons or ET, but not all three, but we got tired. Our friends had multi-day tickets so I didn't push hard to get those three or Terminator in because I knew they would be coming back. If I was trying to do one day, normally I would have skipped Rip Ride Rockit ( our friends are coaster freaks) and Poseidon's Fury. Also, we had a Grand Feast at 3Bs so our lunch took longer than on other visits. I also do like Jurassic Park and it's usually a must for me on warm days. I've done the other two water rides, but you do get really wet, so we usually skip them.

Last edited:

kennyy_d

Original Poster
At the beginning of Feb, I went to Universal with my Dad and two friends who are theme park fans but hadn't been to Universal since 2004. This is what we did, in the order we did them:

Despicable Me - get there before park opening, and wait for when they remove the checkpoint for EE guests (about 10 min before scheduled opening)
Rip Ride Rockit
Transformers
Mummy
Playing with the wand and exploring in Diagon Alley
Gringotts
Watched last few minutes of Celestina Warbeck
Full Show of Tales of Beedle the Bard
Ollivanders
Hogwarts Express to IOA
Lunch at Three Broomsticks
Most of the performance of the Frog Choir
Forbidden Journey
Dragon Challenge
Dragon Challenge
Poseidon's Fury
Cat in the Hat
Spiderman
Hogwarts Express back to Studios
Butterbeer and Harry Potter shopping.
Walked around the other side of Universal.

We would have had time to do MIB or Simpsons or ET, but not all three, but we got tired. Our friends had multi-day tickets so I didn't push hard to get those three or Terminator in because I knew they would be coming back. If I was trying to do one day, normally I would have skipped Rip Ride Rockit ( our friends are coaster freaks) and Poseidon's Fury. Also, we had a Grand Feast at 3Bs so our lunch took longer than on other visits. I also do like Jurassic Park and it's usually a must for me on warm days. I've done the other two water rides, but you do get really wet, so we usually skip them.

This was incredibly helpful! Thank you so much for all the awesome info :)

kennyy_d

Original Poster
Do you?

My list of can't misses for your situation would be:
Gringotts
Forbidden Journey
Dragon challenge (if you like coasters)
Incredible Hulk (if open)
MiB
Despicable Me (you'll actually have to ride this first thing if you don't do express passes- queue will be as long as gringots but WAY more boring)
ET
Spider-Man
Transformers
Mummy

One should easily entertained able to ride all of those if you tour strategically. You could ride multiples plus several other rides if you got an express pass.

Thank you for all the helpful info! I wish we had more than a day to conquer it all :bored:

BrerJon

Thank you for all the helpful info! I wish we had more than a day to conquer it all :bored:

I'd say start with Gringotts at park opening, then take the train over the Hogsmeade, ride Forbidden Journey then head to do Jurassic Park and explore that area - there's more than just a ride, it really is wonderfully themed, and if crowds are light head over to do Spider-Man, and you'll have had a good taste of the non-Potter side of IoA.

Then head back to Hogsmeade, enjoy the other Potter attractions (Dragon Challenge, Hippogriff), lines won't be too long, and explore the shops. Don't bother with the Ollivanders wand thing, it's not very exciting, the line is long, and they do an identical show with a much shorter line over in the Diagon Alley branch if that is of interest.

When done with Hogsmeade, maybe do another single rider to walk-on to Forbidden Journey (the single rider line is quite hidden but just ask if you're not sure) get the train over to Diagon Alley and enjoy the shops, shows and wizardry... if time, and if the line is open, maybe do another single rider of Gringotts.

Don't miss Knockturn Alley - it's quite hidden, but is quite spectacular, you can easily spend a good half hour exploring that.

Once Pottered out, get a taste of the rest of Universal. I'd suggest heading over the The Simpsons area, maybe ride Men In Black if the line is short, and then a ride on ET before heading home.

All that should be quite do-able in a day, and you'll get the full Potter experience plus a taste of both parks non-Potter content.

Other tips: Make sure to do the regular lines of Gringotts and Forbidden Journey at least once as they're feature packed, but use single rider lines for subsequent rides as they go much quicker. For food, just grab something when you feel hungry, either Three Broomsticks or Leaky Cauldron are great, so just go to whichever one is in the land you're in when you're hungry. The lines move very quickly in both restaurants, so don't be put off by the crowds.

Make sure you try the butterbeers - frozen is the best, but they also do a regular soda one and a hot drink, all are delicious. Just don't stand in the long lines to buy them from the outdoor carts - you're much better to go inside Leaky Cauldron or Three Broomsticks and you should be able to walk straight up and order one, but many people don't know this as they think you have to get a meal instead of just drinks.

Another secret tip for the ice cream - the line at the ice cream shop in Diagon is always long, but 90% of people just want to try butterbeer ice cream, yet the line is for all the other flavours too, but you can get Butterbeer ice cream at the Hopping Pot on the other side of the alley, without having to wait in a long line.

Generally if you a see a long line that's not Journey or Gringotts, be suspicious as whatever it is people are waiting for can probably be purchased at another location with no line!

kennyy_d

Original Poster
I'd say start with Gringotts at park opening, then take the train over the Hogsmeade, ride Forbidden Journey then head to do Jurassic Park and explore that area - there's more than just a ride, it really is wonderfully themed, and if crowds are light head over to do Spider-Man, and you'll have had a good taste of the non-Potter side of IoA.

Then head back to Hogsmeade, enjoy the other Potter attractions (Dragon Challenge, Hippogriff), lines won't be too long, and explore the shops. Don't bother with the Ollivanders wand thing, it's not very exciting, the line is long, and they do an identical show with a much shorter line over in the Diagon Alley branch if that is of interest.

When done with Hogsmeade, maybe do another single rider to walk-on to Forbidden Journey (the single rider line is quite hidden but just ask if you're not sure) get the train over to Diagon Alley and enjoy the shops, shows and wizardry... if time, and if the line is open, maybe do another single rider of Gringotts.

Don't miss Knockturn Alley - it's quite hidden, but is quite spectacular, you can easily spend a good half hour exploring that.

Once Pottered out, get a taste of the rest of Universal. I'd suggest heading over the The Simpsons area, maybe ride Men In Black if the line is short, and then a ride on ET before heading home.

All that should be quite do-able in a day, and you'll get the full Potter experience plus a taste of both parks non-Potter content.

Other tips: Make sure to do the regular lines of Gringotts and Forbidden Journey at least once as they're feature packed, but use single rider lines for subsequent rides as they go much quicker. For food, just grab something when you feel hungry, either Three Broomsticks or Leaky Cauldron are great, so just go to whichever one is in the land you're in when you're hungry. The lines move very quickly in both restaurants, so don't be put off by the crowds.

Make sure you try the butterbeers - frozen is the best, but they also do a regular soda one and a hot drink, all are delicious. Just don't stand in the long lines to buy them from the outdoor carts - you're much better to go inside Leaky Cauldron or Three Broomsticks and you should be able to walk straight up and order one, but many people don't know this as they think you have to get a meal instead of just drinks.

Another secret tip for the ice cream - the line at the ice cream shop in Diagon is always long, but 90% of people just want to try butterbeer ice cream, yet the line is for all the other flavours too, but you can get Butterbeer ice cream at the Hopping Pot on the other side of the alley, without having to wait in a long line.

Generally if you a see a long line that's not Journey or Gringotts, be suspicious as whatever it is people are waiting for can probably be purchased at another location with no line!

This was PERFECT. Thank you so much for this step by step, definitely helps! The tips about the lines is something I haven't heard yet, we'll make sure to consider all of it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom