Dogs at Port Orleans Riverside and Art of Animation

Tony the Tigger

. LOL! Totally my opinion. My Sog is boarded at a similar location at home before I leave but have toured Best Friends kennels by POR and I thought it was awesome. Maybe we should poll all of the dogs here in WDWMagic and find out how they feel.

She loves Best Friends Pet Care!

151696DE-ADAC-4075-91BF-7F6E6695E68A.jpeg

Minnesota disney fan

That's good to know because POR is on my short list

Unless it has changed, there are dogs allowed in the Mansions, as Tuvalu said,and also in bldg. 24 and another one in the bayou.
FWIW: Friends of ours stayed at POR and requested to be away from the dog section, so they were put in bldg. 35. When they woke up one morning and left their room, there was a man and his dog in their walkway. The dog was doing his business there! When my irate friends went to the front desk and complained, they were told that if a room is booked with a dog and the person wants that room, they get it. Usually this is prebooked rooms. This whole thing is so confusing and there are many contradicting stories about it. If Disney would only clarify this to staff and guests, then it wouldnt' be so bad. seems like there is no rhyme or reason.
We loved POR, but have not booked there since this policy started.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
It was just announced it was permanent

Of course, and I can't say that I'm surprised. Don't get me wrong, I love animals, but tbh, I think its not fair to leave a dog in a resort room for 8, 10, or even 12 hours while a family goes off and spends the day at the park. At least with kennels, they have the opportunity to get out, and interact with other dogs and have contact with other humans. We use a local kennel for our dog, and she loves its. She has her posse of friends there and its great experience.

Dave B

Of course, and I can't say that I'm surprised. Don't get me wrong, I love animals, but tbh, I think its not fair to leave a dog in a resort room for 8, 10, or even 12 hours while a family goes off and spends the day at the park. At least with kennels, they have the opportunity to get out, and interact with other dogs and have contact with other humans. We use a local kennel for our dog, and she loves its. She has her posse of friends there and its great experience.
Just FYI, when they stay in kennels, they do NOT get out and walked and play UNLESS you pay extra for that, you would be surprised how many people do not pay for their dogs to get out, so that leaves more room in the hotel room, not that I would do it, but just to be accurate

crawale

Thinking of staying at Port Orleans Riverside and Art of Animation (2 week split stay) and bringing our dog. Ive heard there are designated areas and rooms for those with dogs. Does anyone know which section this is (room wise) for Riverside and AoA?
AofA it is the Little Mermaid section.

Tony the Tigger

We can also do both.

It wouldn't be cheap, but when we take our dog up, we take her to Best Friends Pet Care during the day, and we stay off site in a pet friendly hotel at night. We pick her up on our way back from the parks and she sleeps with us. This way we think it's less upsetting for her (and us!)

If the pet friendly rooms are still available on site, we could theoretically do the same thing (BFPC during the day, hotel room at night) but we'd be able to stay on site.

I'd like to do this once on a short trip. But honestly, it's a lot of money to pay for both since Disney is charging so much for the pet friendly room surcharge. We can all stay off site for about the price of the upcharge alone, at a hotel that doesn't charge extra for pets.

Still, I'd like to do it once. Kylie is getting up in age (9) and it would be nice to have some memories & pics of her with us at WDW.

Just FYI, when they stay in kennels, they do NOT get out and walked and play UNLESS you pay extra for that, you would be surprised how many people do not pay for their dogs to get out, so that leaves more room in the hotel room, not that I would do it, but just to be accurate

BFPC does include walks. Playtime with other dogs is extra. (So is doggie ice cream, but it's only about 4 bucks!) They do grooming as well.

Mickey shaped world

I don't mind having dogs at the resorts as long as they are well behaved, I have enough barking from the two neglected Pomeranians next door.

Last edited:

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

It was just announced it was permanent
This actually HELPS, both for folks that WANT this, and those that wish to avoid "Dog Resorts".

So, to repeat - let's list the PERMANENT Dog Resorts. This will allow those that WANT them to go there. It will also allow those that wish to AVOID them to NOT go there.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
This actually HELPS, both for folks that WANT this, and those that wish to avoid "Dog Resorts".
From a stability perspective yes, but from a policy perspective, I'm disappointed.
I don't think its fair to the dog to leave them in the rooms all day, its not fair to other guests who will have to endure the barking, and for those who have allergies, it can be very difficult.

If they only limit the animals the animals to specific buildings that will be one thing, but given what @Minnesota disney fan, posted, that's not always the case.

There's not much I can do, aside from ranting, and so I can complain, but its a moot point. I'll have to decide whether its worth staying at one of the dog friendly resorts or go somewhere else.

daisyduckie

MANY WDW Resorts are not "dog resorts". Just a thought - pick these, avoid "dog resorts" (unless you want one).
In this fashion, everyone can vote with their wallet :).

Keeping in mind that you can run in to a service dog at any resort. No Disney resort is truly dog-free. You can do what you can to limit contact with dogs, but you cannot escape from them totally.

Dog Ate Mouse

I am a two dog owner, here is what we do. I would not bring my dogs to WDW because they would here strange noises in a strange setting and would bark. Now also I could not leave the dogs in a hotel room because it is not there home and some dogs would resort to anxiety separation. Our first dog was watched by family so she was at home safe and sound in an environment that she was use to.

Our next two Dogs were placed in Best Friends and were part of the play group daily and were out of the kennels for 8 hours a day. They had their twice a day feeding of what we provided to best friends and they were given a smokey treat before being placed back into the kennel together with bowls of fresh water. Now our best Friends kennel also has camera's up in the Dog play area and we could always look in on them. Also my wife called everyday to make sure they were doing good. Now as they are 9 and 7 we have a baby sitter that does stay at our house and takes care of them. We trust this person because she helped so much with my elderly Mom who lived with us. Miss Kate became family and very good friends. I have toured the kennels at best friends and love them in WDW. Our dogs has stayed there once only and were in the VIP kennels with there toys a TV and doggies Beds and another room they could go to to relieve themselves. Also loved the fact the grooming performed on the day we we leaving to go back home. Nice smelling dogs in the car. We visited the Dogs Daily and were never upset or concerned with their care and well being. We also would take them in the fenced in yard and play ball and some tug of war. Then add in the play group and they were tired worn out Dogs that slept through the night.

There are lots of options except the one of bringing them and keeping them in the hotel room all day long where no exercise and strange environment to deal with. Then barking because they heard something. Border Collies do not do well in strange and potential stressful environments. You have so many options to choose from from in home care to Doggie Hotels to best friends to family and last the Kennels in Disney. So when planning your stay, you should also be planning on your Dog/Dogs care as well. I am speaking as a Dog owner and not telling anyone what to do. Just trying to give options and help.

Sincerely
Dog Ate Mouse

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

AofA it is the Little Mermaid section.
No. Dog-friendly buildings are buildings 2 (Cars), 5 (Nemo), and 7 (Mermaid).

FWIW, I was at AoA for eight nights in June and I didn't see or hear a single dog, inside or outside.

If they only limit the animals the animals to specific buildings that will be one thing, but given what @Minnesota disney fan, posted, that's not always the case.
That absolutely is the case, I don't know what the heck @Minnesota disney fan is talking about. My guess is that this was a service dog, which has nothing to do with this policy. It's also one room request that Disney will guarantee (though they won't ever use the word "guarantee"). If you ask to be in a building that's not dog friendly, you will be.

I don't think its fair to the dog to leave them in the rooms all day, its not fair to other guests who will have to endure the barking, and for those who have allergies, it can be very difficult.
Do people not read things before they complain about them?

"Dogs that are allowed to stay in guest rooms will be expected to be well behaved, leashed in public resort areas and properly vaccinated."

If they're barking, they're violating policy. Complain to the front desk about a barking dog and the owner should be asked to kennel them. If you complain and Disney does nothing, then it's time to protest the policy.

Minnesota disney fan

No. Dog-friendly buildings are buildings 2 (Cars), 5 (Nemo), and 7 (Mermaid).

FWIW, I was at AoA for eight nights in June and I didn't see or hear a single dog, inside or outside.

That absolutely is the case, I don't know what the heck @Minnesota disney fan is talking about. My guess is that this was a service dog, which has nothing to do with this policy. It's also one room request that Disney will guarantee (though they won't ever use the word "guarantee"). If you ask to be in a building that's not dog friendly, you will be.

Do people not read things before they complain about them?

"Dogs that are allowed to stay in guest rooms will be expected to be well behaved, leashed in public resort areas and properly vaccinated."

If they're barking, they're violating policy. Complain to the front desk about a barking dog and the owner should be asked to kennel them. If you complain and Disney does nothing, then it's time to protest the policy.

Actually, these people were told by the CM at the desk that if a person wanted a certain area/room, they would give it to them even if they had a dog. So, so much for only so many rooms are dog friendly, per this CM. Maybe the CM's don't know the right thing to say or they are not being trained the same way? I don't know. So, that is what the heck I am saying. :) have a good day.

Hcalvert

Below is what I shared in the other post about dogs & resorts:

Today, I spoke to CM Sherri and this is what she said:

The following resorts & room types allow for dogs at this time:
Port Orleans Riverside; Standard & Garden Rooms
Art of Animation; Cars & Little Mermaid Rooms
Yacht Club; Garden & Lagoon Rooms and
Fort Wilderness Cabins Loops 2200 & 2300.

Last edited:

DarthVader

Sith Lord
That’s one instance. Your statement made it sound like it’s a given.
So tell me this, when a family goes off to Magic Kingdom for the day where will the dog be? Its quite reasonable to expect the family is not going to pay for boarding at the kennel since they're already paying a fee to keep the dog in the room.

Tony the Tigger

So tell me this, when a family goes off to Magic Kingdom for the day where will the dog be? Its quite reasonable to expect the family is not going to pay for boarding at the kennel since they're already paying a fee to keep the dog in the room.

Again, that’s an assumption.

I’m sure some jerks might do that.

Even when we take our dog to Best Friends Pet Care, we leave the parks at least once a day to go visit and play with her. And when we bring her, we stay (so far) off site so we can pick her up after the parks close and she can sleep with us in a pet friendly hotel, which sometimes includes an extra fee.

“Day care” at BFPC costs less than an overnight stay, which helps, plus there is an AP discount.

We love and care about our dog, and act accordingly.

It would be nice, even if expensive, to pick her up and take her back to Port Orleans with us instead of La Quinta.

So if we take an overnight trip in December (might happen) I wouldn’t mind paying the $50 for one night (or two) just to make it a special time while she is still with us. (She’s 9.)

If we were going to leave her alone in the room, it would be for a short time - for example, to go get breakfast, etc.

If she had days to get used to the room, we might leave her for 4-5 hours to go to a park, but not on day one or two. She needs time to get comfortable and to know we are coming back.

But yes, on our December Xmas party trip (if it happens) she will go to BFPC during the day and sleep with us at night. That will be a splurge and a treat for all of us.

Side note: our dog is admittedly unusually quiet. She does not bark when she hears other dogs. She does not bark when she sees people. She pretty much only barks if she hears cats outside, or if the doorbell rings and we go answer it. She actually won’t bark if the doorbell rings and we don’t go answer it LOL. I know this is unusual. But I would not bring her if she was a yappy dog.

And sometimes we do leave her home with a sitter so we can stay on property.

The only time she ever had an accident in the house or anywhere was the day after she was spayed, which is totally understandable.

So please don’t assume every dog owner is a heartless idiot who is going to leave their dog in the room from 8 AM until 11 PM to bark and pee all over the place.

3C36861A-99C3-412D-A4B3-76B1558CDD0B.jpeg
39956B6A-08C9-4330-929D-DA36338409C7.jpeg
0EDA0D10-86EB-4083-AC53-E6C6D1560992.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom