Does this commercial bug anyone else?

FettFan

Original Poster
The entire tone of the thing...it's off.

"From Royal Encounters, to Royal Rooms!" - *cuts to dad reading "Beauty and the Beast" to his kids...while mom folds laundry in the background.*

"From Pirates to Paradise" - *cuts to a dwarf ventriloquist pirate screaming "AYE!" while firing a cannon and not moving his lips*
What's worse is how this poor fellow's head slumps forward. Sure, he's supposed to be firing a cannon....but my god, he's so damn depressed about it.

And what the heck was up with that PotC "ride through" shot? Was that an actual ride through of actors that they filmed? Because it totally looks like they borrowed the same set that Captain Morgan used last year, but digitally inserted the Wicked Wench.
Either that or they DID film it on the actual ride, and then CGI'd the ever-loving crap out of it, adding the bright night stars and removing Barbossa. (does Geoffrey Rush have a "no advertisements" clause in his contract? Or are they operating under the assumption that nobody likes Barbossa?)

*Pirates splash morphs into Kid jumping into pool, causing a splash*

*Mom is sitting on the lawn chair and watching the kids play. Dad is in the pool with the kids. Dad decides that it would be sporting to splash Mom, even though it's obvious that Mom doesn't want to be wet, otherwise she would have joined them.*

WHAT A JERK. Seriously, first he hogs all the time with the kids...and then he pulls THIS crap? And poor Mom just smiles and takes it.

"Book now and discover how close the Magic can be!"

*cuts to a completely different family watching fireworks over Cinderella Castle, apparently standing right in front of the castle....and a quick smartphone cut reveals that this family is actually watching the fireworks from an invisible platform hovering over Seven Seas Lagoon somewhere between Contemporary and the Monorail Stat--OH MYGOD WHAT DID THEY DO TO SPACE MOUNTAIN?

LOOK at it! Go to 0:28...where Space Mountain is supposed to be is a vaguely Space-Mountain-shaped pile of rubble. They blew it up.

Or rather...they CGI'd something that didn't need to be CGI'd and made it look like crap.
They CGI'd the rest of the park, too. The castle is surrounded now by trees, Space Mountain Rubble, a few nondescript buildings, and a strange mist covering the whole park.

Which brings me to this conclusion: the commercial takes place in a post-apocalyptic future. A massive mega hurricane rolled over Florida for and for some reason just stopped in place. Acid rain formed in this hurricane and millions upon millions of gallons of acidic rainwater gushed forth over Walt Disney World. It caused some minor damage to a few of the buildings (Cinderella Castle is missing a few spires), but the damage was catastrophic to the limestone just underneath the soil....Space Mountain, and most of the rest of the Magic Kingdom, caved into giant sinkholes that formed. BTMRR survived mostly intact, while Pirates was operable but diminished. Epcot and DHS are both kaput. Animal Kingdom has been abandoned and the animals escaped, resulting in a rash of lion and tiger attacks across central Florida. Avatar Land fell into a sinkhole that looked surprisingly like a human sphincter when viewed from the air.

So Disney is rebuilding. They want you to know that while the parks are going through a transitional period, the MAGIC is still there.

Kind of.

Last edited:

EricJ

That commercial doesn't bug me. THIS commercial (and its "wacky" condescension of its fans) bugs me:

(Yes, it's true, we'll be hooked on them after we get back, but that won't make us happily moronic dolts about it.)

Dj Corona

I couldn't find the link, but the one commercial from last year, when the family comes racing into MK down an apparently abandoned Main Street while the fireworks are going off in the background, (because, as we all know that happens on a regular basis!), and then one of the Princesses runs up out of nowhere and hugs their daughter, (because, hey, if you believed that first part, you're definitely fall for this) always makes my family & I giggle just a bit!

FettFan

Original Poster
I couldn't find the link, but the one commercial from last year, when the family comes racing into MK down an apparently abandoned Main Street while the fireworks are going off in the background, (because, as we all know that happens on a regular basis!), and then one of the Princesses runs up out of nowhere and hugs their daughter, (because, hey, if you believed that first part, you're definitely fall for this) always makes my family & I giggle just a bit!

Must have been what the infamous @KATIEBUG101 was basing her expectations on....

draybook

What I find hilarious about the first commercial is the statement, "the best thing about going to Walt Disney World just might be staying at a Walt Disney World resort hotel." Yeah, because the best way to get people to spend thousands of dollars is to tell them the best part of the WHOLE resort is staying at the hotel. That really makes people want to fork over their cash.

Pocahontas

That commercial doesn't bug me. THIS commercial (and its "wacky" condescension of its fans) bugs me:

(Yes, it's true, we'll be hooked on them after we get back, but that won't make us happily moronic dolts about it.)

I think that commercial is pretty cute. It's hyperbolic, of course, but still shows how awesome the magic bands are and I know that I would use them in the real world if I could.

disney4life2008

WOW I have never seen this video. The MB is not that simplistic to use in any way! At least twice in 3 nights I had to get my band fixed because it would not open my door and dare I be holding something - the band has to be perfectly aligned. In the shops - you still have to enter your pin which is about the same time to swipe a card. And do not get me started using it in the parks - entry was fine. But the fact that the MB has to be scanned by the CM is irritating and they can never get it aligned.

mousehockey37

The entire tone of the thing...it's off.

*cuts to a completely different family watching fireworks over Cinderella Castle, apparently standing right in front of the castle....and a quick smartphone cut reveals that this family is actually watching the fireworks from an invisible platform hovering over Seven Seas Lagoon somewhere between Contemporary and the Monorail Stat--OH MYGOD WHAT DID THEY DO TO SPACE MOUNTAIN?

LOOK at it! Go to 0:28...where Space Mountain is supposed to be is a vaguely Space-Mountain-shaped pile of rubble. They blew it up.

Ah, a new FP+ fireworks location!!!! Good view and you don't get obliterated by whatever that fog is doing.

Did you also notice that the monorail at the beginning is going rather quickly into the Contemporary? Guess to save time they're having guests "tuck and roll" to get off now... o_O

DisneyPrincess5

What I find hilarious about the first commercial is the statement, "the best thing about going to Walt Disney World just might be staying at a Walt Disney World resort hotel." Yeah, because the best way to get people to spend thousands of dollars is to tell them the best part of the WHOLE resort is staying at the hotel. That really makes people want to fork over their cash.
Haha I know right?!?! Shows you what their goal is. Oh let's bump up stays on property, but forget about advancing park offerings. Ok.

mousehockey37

But don't worry though, when you go into the parks, the characters won't be swamped with people and will be arms wide open, ready for hugs, just for you!!!! LOL Heck, the characters will even ride the ride with you, because there's no wait??? HAHA

EricJ

This one is pretty good

That's not a commercial, though, that's the opening of the current travel DVD?

Unfortunately, losing the James Newton Howard "Peter Pan" theme from the Year of a Million Dreams means we won't be seeing probably their best ad ever, anymore:

And it's all true. :D Fortunately, it's still on a few of the '07-'08 Blu-rays.

(And whatever happened to that one ad, where an uninvolved-looking dad waits while his wife and daughter go off elsewhere, he sees Cinderella M&G'ing, and all of a sudden starts primping up, while "So This is Love" plays in the background? :hilarious:
Can't remember which year that came out.)

Last edited:

bubbles1812

Lol. This was my exact thought the first time I saw that commercial. Nothing like your lead selling points being about everything other than, you know, the actual parks... The even emphasized the pool better than they did MK, which based on that commercial is the only park that exists anyways. I don't think the message they ended up sending was the one they wanted to come across.

And then I see the Uni commercials selling Diagon Alley... resort hotel and some wrist bands vs brand new park edition... I don't know what I'm going to choose.

BrittanyRose428

I love the one from the planning dvd that's up there ^. If anyone is interested, I made a post on my blog a few months ago about Disney commercials, by what I thought were the best and worst ones. The one in the OP isn't the worst in my opinion, but I'm not a fan of the blatant marketing of the hotels. I get that it's to promote the 30% off, but the way the dialogue is worded to me is a bit too "GIVE US ALL YOUR MONEY" sounding to me.

http://destinationdisneyworld.blogspot.com/2014/02/best-worst-disney-commercials-still-no.html

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom