Does the recent Skyliner accident change your mind about staying at a Skyliner resort?

Still willing to stay at a Skyliner resort?

• Yes

Votes: 125 48.3%
  • No

Votes: 79 30.5%
  • Yes but won’t use the Skyliner.

Votes: 27 10.4%
  • Yes but only after the kinks have been worked out.

Votes: 28 10.8%

• Total voters

Heppenheimer

Skyliner or not, I wasn't planning on staying at any of the resorts it serves anyway.

But I will continue to ski at resorts that operate gondola lines. Where I have never experienced an extended stop because some idiot had a panic attack and called 911.

AndyS2992

Hasn’t affected my opinion at all. Monorail has crashed and breaks down often, buses crash, the ferry boats have had things crash in to them. Stuff happens.

KBLovedDisney

After much thought, I think I might ride it one day...maybe. Not afraid of heights but knowing Florida weather and how quickly it could be a monsoon with scary lightening, I'd rather ride the monorail.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
After much thought, I think I might ride it one day...maybe. Not afraid of heights but knowing Florida weather and how quickly it could be a monsoon with scary lightening, I'd rather ride the monorail.

TBH, you're much less likely to have an incident in a Gondola than on the Monorail. The Monorail is constantly in the news due to failures because of its age.

KBLovedDisney

TBH, you're much less likely to have an incident in a Gondola than on the Monorail. The Monorail is constantly in the news due to failures because of its age.
Which would fair better with strong winds and thunderstorms? I think the monorail could use an upgrade with new cars and such but other than that, I think the monorail is my go to for Disney travel

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Which would fair better with strong winds and thunderstorms? I think the monorail could use an upgrade with new cars and such but other than that, I think the monorail is my go to for Disney travel

The gondola design appears to be a faraday cage, and the shortest path to ground is either of the closest towers. In my mind you're safer in the gondola. I'd much rather be there than in a monorail that's cruising through a storm with one of the doors open.

KBLovedDisney

The gondola design appears to be a faraday cage, and the shortest path to ground is either of the closest towers. In my mind you're safer in the gondola. I'd much rather be there than in a monorail that's cruising through a storm with one of the doors open.
Ah, I see your point. Speaking of doors, how do the doors on the gondolas compare to the ones on the monorail? I admit it really freaks me out when I see a kid running around in the monorail and decides to lean on a door... (some parents man)

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Ah, I see your point. Speaking of doors, how do the doors on the gondolas compare to the ones on the monorail? I admit it really freaks me out when I see a kid running around in the monorail and decides to lean on a door... (some parents man)

It's more difficult for anyone to lean on a door in a gondola, but not impossible. I didn't examine them closely, but it didn't look like it would be an issue. I don't use the monorail at all anymore and haven't in years. I'd much rather take a bus or a boat.

Heppenheimer

The gondolas lifts were designed to operate in the Alps, where sudden severe gusts of wind are very common, and with the exception of hurricanes, can be far stronger. The systems have long-established protocols for windy conditions, and the general safety record of the systems reflect this.

Compare this to the annual number of traffic fatalities in FL alone, which is usually well above 3,000. How many of us will give up driving baed on that number?

Last edited:

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
The gondolas lifts were designed to operate in the Alps, where sudden severe gusts of wind are very common, and with the exception of hurricanes, can be far stronger. The systems have long-established protocols for windy conditions, and the general safety record of the systems reflect this.

Compare this to the annual number of traffic fatalities if FL alone, which is usually well above 3,000. How many of us will give up driving baed on that number?

Seems like you're comparing apples to cannonballs. Sure, they're both may be round but they're very different things.

Jon81uk

Seems like you're comparing apples to cannonballs. Sure, they're both may be round but they're very different things.
But the point is valid. The title of this thread is whether the incident will change your mind on staying at those resorts. Yet there are plenty of accidents on the roads to those resorts too but it doesn't seem to have an effect on peoples opinion of the resort.

Last edited:

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
But the point is valid. The title of this thread is whether the incident will change your mind on staying at those resorts. Yes there are plenty of accidents on the roads to those resorts too but it doesn't seem to have an effect on peoples opinion of the resort.

If we're OK using nonsense comparisons, there's a risk of falling down stairs every time you take a step in either direction but people still go up and down stairs.

Jon81uk

If we're OK using nonsense comparisons, there's a risk of falling down stairs every time you take a step in either direction but people still go up and down stairs.

About 1,000 people die each year from falls on stairs, but deaths on cable car systems are more like one a year. Therefore stairs are far more dangerous, but people don't consider cancelling vacation resort stays for that reason.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
About 1,000 people die each year from falls on stairs, but deaths on cable car systems are more like one a year. Therefore stairs are far more dangerous, but people don't consider cancelling vacation resort stays for that reason.

So I was correct in assuming that there was no bottom to how poor the comparison can be as long as it shines a positive light on Disney. Thanks for confirming.

Jon81uk

So I was correct in assuming that there was no bottom to how poor the comparison can be as long as it shines a positive light on Disney. Thanks for confirming.
Nothing to do with positive or negative light on Disney. The fact the incident occurred at Disney is irrelevant. Its more about the irrational behaviour of people.
One small incident on the Skyliner and more than 22 people in the above poll will not use the Skyliner system. But there are accidents on roads every single day but people happily get in their cars and drive.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Nothing to do with positive or negative light on Disney. The fact the incident occurred at Disney is irrelevant. Its more about the irrational behaviour of people.
One small incident on the Skyliner and more than 22 people in the above poll will not use the Skyliner system. But there are accidents on roads every single day but people happily get in their cars and drive.

Really the only people acting irrationally here are those who are constantly attacking anyone who isn't toeing the line.

Heppenheimer

I see only one person here making what could be considered "attacks", and it isn't those who are providing relevant safety data on various modes of transportation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom