Does know one think the MagicBands are good?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Neither the bands nor the kttw cards have any cc info on them. They carry only an encrypted code that corresponds to your records in an encrypted database. No cc info is ever available to any of the readers.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There is a much bigger picture here. In general, once Vick and Vivian Vacationer realize they're being monitored as they move about the parks, there's going to be hell to pay.

Think of it this way - how many of you really like being tracked as you visit sites on the web? Once you realize just how much information is being collected as you move among a variety of sites, you start to become concerned. Even if you aren't, MANY companies are concerned. Any self-respecting business now has privacy policies and opt-in procedures to allow you to permit these companies to collect info on you. And penalties for the misuse of the collected data.

I'm sure Disney has at least some of this, at least from a corporate perspective. But I've yet to see anything that relates to NextGen. Anyone in the know who can speak to this?

There are lots and lots of threads specifically about this with "insiders" and subject matter experts that know a lot more than I do, but from what I understand you can opt out of mymagic+ completely, but then you can't use the system. The major drawback is the loss of FP+ reservations. You can also just opt out of the bands and get a plastic card which works at the cash register and door scanners, but not for long range scanners.

Based on the continued success of Google and Amazon I don't see a lot of consumers changing behavior now that they know they are being actively monitored. Google basically admitted to reading your e-mail and yet tons of people still use it.

Anotherfaceinthecrowd

Original Poster
I do beleive this is a massively over hyped thing that could be doing alot of good, and any thing we use nowadays is open to security breaches but that why security is getting better because of these flaws is it not?

Rob562

The long-range aspects of the Bands can *theoretically* be used to track/count the number of people in an area or general crowd movements, but there's no indication from Disney that it's how it's going to be used.

For now the only solid use for the long-range readers that we know of are interactive elements like the screen they installed in the "good bye" room on Small World. (They're not active yet, but they're there) The system is able to read the Band from afar, recognize who it on the ride, and display things like a personalized doll or personal good bye message.

If this were Universal, E.T. would be able to personally say goodbye to you without having to stop and give your name to the Team Member at the entrance to the queue.

-Rob

Bairstow

You people do realize that the entire resort property is already rife with hidden CCTV cameras, right?
Disney has been watching what you've been doing for years. Now it's just a little easier.

Disney has already been fined over a million $$$$ for illegally collecting data on children under 13. Since then Disney has actively been lobbying Congress to get these inconvenient laws changed so that they can do as they please.

And no one is concerned?

Source?

flynnibus

Premium Member

And the relevant info since we are talking motive...

"This matter involved a Federal Trade Commission investigation of the practices of Acclaim Games Inc., a company that was acquired by Playdom prior to Disney's acquisition of Playdom last year," Disney Interactive Media Group spokeswoman Carrie Davis said in a statement.

To the op... It's possible with the kind of technology being used... If they will or not is yet to be seen. There are things to balance...

ddrongowski

I do beleive this is a massively over hyped thing that could be doing alot of good, and any thing we use nowadays is open to security breaches but that why security is getting better because of these flaws is it not?
You really think security is getting better? I work in the IT world of networking and security, and the only way to ever be truly secure is to not use it... EVER! The saying goes "If it can be done on a computer, it can be undone on a computer." But that being said I have always had a cc connected to my KTTW in the past and have not had a problem yet. But then again I check my CC's balances and spending online daily. Yes I have stopped fraudulent purchases this way over 6 times in the past 3 to 4 years.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I am in the pro-MyMagic+ camp.

I absolutely love being able to reserve dining, order lunch, get fastpasses, reserve fireworks viewing, and a myriad of other things all from my phone. I also like the idea of having all this stuff stored on a card or wristband. I hope they start making watches with the RFID chip in it so I can have my Disney life with me all the time.

I adore the potential that this has for crowd control in the parks.

I could care less about them using data to market to me. About the worst thing that can happen is the can show me something I want to buy.

jdmdisney99

I am pro-MyMagic+ also. I think the concept is a good one and is actually pretty smart. The downside I think is the utilization of FastPass+ by Disney. Rides like the Haunted Mansion and things like the Princess Fairytale Hall don't need it, yet they have it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I am pro-MyMagic+ also. I think the concept is a good one and is actually pretty smart. The downside I think is the utilization of FastPass+ by Disney. Rides like the Haunted Mansion and things like the Princess Fairytale Hall don't need it, yet they have it.
You are correct in that they don't need it, but I think they might serve useful in moving crowds around. If attractions like Space Mountain, Soarin, whatever, start getting long standby lines the system could conceivably start sending out free fastpasses to the guest eaters like HM, SSE, etc, shifting more load to high capacity attractions. I have no idea if that is actually in the plans, but it would make sense if it was.

PolynesianPrincess

I was very against the Magic Bands before I got the chance to try them. Now I think they are pretty good. I did not wear mine as I don't like the way it fits but my mother and sister wore them. It was very easy to get in and out of our rooms with them and using them for FP+. We also used the kiosk to change our BTMRR return time. there was plenty of times open but I can see this being an issue in the peak season. I feel like when the parks are busy, all the good rides will be gone and no alternate times will be available. So it will basically be use it when you have it or lose it since you won't be able to change it. What I do NOT like about this whole Next Gen thing is the limit on FPs. I think 3 is a ridiculously low number considering on Friday we got about 7. I also do not like that all the rides are FP+ optional. Nemo does not need a FP... Imagination does NOT need a FP.... yet they have them.

dadddio

I don't get the arguments that some rides don't 'need' FP. HM is frequently named as one that doesn't need FP.

I've blown off HM because the lines were too long. Certainly, many others have, also. It's not a stretch that some people might choose a FP for attractions.

dadddio

I was very against the Magic Bands before I got the chance to try them. Now I think they are pretty good. I did not wear mine as I don't like the way it fits but my mother and sister wore them. It was very easy to get in and out of our rooms with them and using them for FP+. We also used the kiosk to change our BTMRR return time. there was plenty of times open but I can see this being an issue in the peak season. I feel like when the parks are busy, all the good rides will be gone and no alternate times will be available. So it will basically be use it when you have it or lose it since you won't be able to change it. What I do NOT like about this whole Next Gen thing is the limit on FPs. I think 3 is a ridiculously low number considering on Friday we got about 7. I also do not like that all the rides are FP+ optional. Nemo does not need a FP... Imagination does NOT need a FP.... yet they have them.
Just for the sake of conversation, what rides did you obtain those seven FPs for?

PolynesianPrincess

Just for the sake of conversation, what rides did you obtain those seven FPs for?

I can't remember all of them but I know we got Space twice, PPF, Thunder Mtn, Buzz... I want to say the other two were for Pooh and Splash, but I don't remember. The return times were always like 40 minutes or so away from the time we got the FPs so we didn't have long to wait until we could get another one.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I don't get the arguments that some rides don't 'need' FP. HM is frequently named as one that doesn't need FP.

I've blown off HM because the lines were too long. Certainly, many others have, also. It's not a stretch that some people might choose a FP for attractions.
It has to do with rides that have huge guest per hour capabilities. HM, SSE and rides like it can easily handle guest counts into the thousands per hour. Because of this, wait times rarely go over 30 minutes for 340 days a year making FP more of a hassle than anything else. FP was added to HM and POTC when it first came out and was later remove because is was not effective.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I can't remember all of them but I know we got Space twice, PPF, Thunder Mtn, Buzz... I want to say the other two were for Pooh and Splash, but I don't remember. The return times were always like 40 minutes or so away from the time we got the FPs so we didn't have long to wait until we could get another one.
The crowds are very light right now making this possible at MK. During most of the year you would not be able to do this without deliberately trying.

Last Sunday the FP time was only about 40 minutes out at 9:00 PM on Space Mountain. No way that will be the case in a few weeks.

PolynesianPrincess

The crowds are very light right now making this possible at MK. During most of the year you would not be able to do this without deliberately trying.

Last Sunday the FP time was only about 40 minutes out at 9:00 PM on Space Mountain. No way that will be the case in a few weeks.

Memorial Day week we were only able to get 3-4 a day. The two trips before our Memorial Day trip (last Sept and last April/May) we were able to get usually 6-8 a day. I understand when it's busy it's just nt possible so the 3 FPs a day there make sense. But not when it's slow. Maybe they will increase them during the slow times? I doubt it but we'll see. I'm still anxious to see how this all plays out for AP's who take spur of the moment trips.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Memorial Day week we were only able to get 3-4 a day. The two trips before our Memorial Day trip (last Sept and last April/May) we were able to get usually 6-8 a day. I understand when it's busy it's just nt possible so the 3 FPs a day there make sense. But not when it's slow. Maybe they will increase them during the slow times? I doubt it but we'll see. I'm still anxious to see how this all plays out for AP's who take spur of the moment trips.
It is also worth noting that FP+ will allow you to schedule up to 4 FP+ experiences in advance. There is nothing to say that a day of regular FP (ibeit not paper) will not be available.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom