Does know one think the MagicBands are good?

Anotherfaceinthecrowd

Original Poster
This thought has had me thinking for a while now, People are constantly moaning about the new MagicBands and how they are tracking you but have you ever thought if you lost your child in all of the people there, Disney could in theory now find exactly where they are and ask a CM who is near them to either move them to a safe place or bring them back to the family, I don’t think Disney will bring out these features but with the MagicBand technologies they could do rather easily

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This thought has had me thinking for a while now, People are constantly moaning about the new MagicBands and how they are tracking you but have you ever thought if you lost your child in all of the people there, Disney could in theory now find exactly where they are and ask a CM who is near them to either move them to a safe place or bring them back to the family, I don’t think Disney will bring out these features but with the MagicBand technologies they could do rather easily
I can't imagine Disney wouldn't use the technology to help track down lost kids. If you report a missing child they can use the bands to figure out where they are and they can also make sure nobody leaves the park with the missing child. It's a no brainer to me.

Anotherfaceinthecrowd

Original Poster
I can't imagine Disney wouldn't use the technology to help track down lost kids. If you report a missing child they can use the bands to figure out where they are and they can also make sure nobody leaves the park with the missing child. It's a no brainer to me.

Well me too but I know they will be alot of objections on it and would have to have the system very secure which im sure they do already

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Others were saying they could not pin point your child with MBs unless your child passed a RFID sensor at a ride entrance for example. They can't use the system to pin point a guest at any time. So it's not likely to help with a little kids until they are found by a CM. Then they could possibly scan the band to find out who they were and possibly call the parents. Disney would have to set up a system for this, they haven't as of yet.

Anotherfaceinthecrowd

Original Poster
Others were saying they could not pin point your child with MBs unless your child passed a RFID sensor at a ride entrance for example. They can't use the system to pin point a guest at any time. So it's not likely to help with a little kids until they are found by a CM. Then they could possibly scan the band to find out who they were and possibly call the parents. Disney would have to set up a system for this, they haven't as of yet.

All the would need it RFID Sensors throughout the park so a computer can log all the people passing and after say a set time (2 hours) scrap and start again so it doesnt waste memory on the computer

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
All the would need it RFID Sensors throughout the park so a computer can log all the people passing and after say a set time (2 hours) scrap and start again so it doesnt waste memory on the computer
What good is tracking people if you don't keep the information for data collection. It would be a waste of money to track people for no purpose whatsoever.

Anotherfaceinthecrowd

Original Poster
What good is tracking people if you don't keep the information for data collection. It would be a waste of money to track people for no purpose whatsoever.

well it would only be used for tracking lost people with every1 else you already know what rides/reasurants they are using via the band

unkadug

Hence the security systems and not storing for long

The bands information supposedly is two-fold: short range and long range. Your personal information is only readable "Short Range" .

If personally identifiable information was readable "long range" (as you are suggesting) that would mean that anyone in the park with a RFID reader could scam your credit card info.

Anotherfaceinthecrowd

Original Poster
The bands information supposedly is two-fold: short range and long range. Your personal information is only readable "Short Range" .

If personally identifiable information was readable "long range" (as you are suggesting) that would mean that anyone in the park with a RFID reader could scam your credit card info.

If that is the case what info is getting read at long range?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As soon as you report the child missing they can actively track him/her. When the child passes a censor it would be logged and security could immediately call down to that area to recover the child. This is especially useful for the exit gates where there are a lot of CMs and security already. Before the bands they would call around with a description of the missing kid, but this is a lot more accurate.

I'm not saying that finding lost children is the reason the system was installed, but its an ancillary benefit.

KeithVH

There is a much bigger picture here. In general, once Vick and Vivian Vacationer realize they're being monitored as they move about the parks, there's going to be hell to pay.

Think of it this way - how many of you really like being tracked as you visit sites on the web? Once you realize just how much information is being collected as you move among a variety of sites, you start to become concerned. Even if you aren't, MANY companies are concerned. Any self-respecting business now has privacy policies and opt-in procedures to allow you to permit these companies to collect info on you. And penalties for the misuse of the collected data.

I'm sure Disney has at least some of this, at least from a corporate perspective. But I've yet to see anything that relates to NextGen. Anyone in the know who can speak to this?

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I'm not sure I am following what you are saying. Are you saying that the long range censors can't identify individual people and they only compile the number of people passing through them? If this is true then why all the panic over privacy issues. I was under the impression that the long range censors would also be used to track your individual movements throughout the parks to develop a profile of your actions. If that is the case then security could use that info to find a missing kid. The short range scanners used at the cash registers are the only ones that read your credit card information (just like the room keys did in the past). There would be no reason to pass your credit card info to the long range scanners, but that doesn't mean the scanners can't be used to track your movements.

unkadug

I'm not sure I am following what you are saying. Are you saying that the long range censors can't identify individual people and they only compile the number of people passing through them? If this is true then why all the panic over privacy issues. I was under the impression that the long range censors would also be used to track your individual movements throughout the parks to develop a profile of your actions. If that is the case then security could use that info to find a missing kid. The short range scanners used at the cash registers are the only ones that read your credit card information (just like the room keys did in the past). There would be no reason to pass your credit card info to the long range scanners, but that doesn't mean the scanners can't be used to track your movements.
Paranoia

Disneyhead'71

Disney has already been fined over a million $$$$ for illegally collecting data on children under 13. Since then Disney has actively been lobbying Congress to get these inconvenient laws changed so that they can do as they please.

And no one is concerned?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom