Does It Feel Like WDW?

dreamscometrue

I am new to this so first of all let me apologize if there is already a thread dealing with this topic. I seached and couldn't find one quite like this.

In August 2003, when I was 38 years old, our family made our first trip to WDW and found it to be everything we had dreamed of for so many years (and so much more). When we returned to Canada we vowed to start saving and in Dec. 2005 made a 10 day excursion to 'the world'. Our third trip is booked for a year from now, and our fourth, at the end of 2007. Here is my dilemma.

Our first vacation was at All-Star Movies and on our second trip, we stayed at Pop Century for 9 of 10 days. As a result of delayed travel plans, our final day and night had us stay at Wilderness Lodge. Here comes the strange part. Although WL was stunning, it didn't feel to us like we were at WDW. We came to associate vacation at WDW with early morning food court breakfasts and over the top theming. Our next trip will have us at Pop again (we need 2 adjoining rooms for our larger party), but I'm thinking of a moderate (POR?) for the late 2007 trip. I wonder if we would get used to another resort and still feel the magic we have felt at the value resorts. I would be interested to read whether or not you associate your first resort with the most intense Disney magic. If you've stayed at more than one on site resort, I'd love to know how you felt when you switched locations.

tigsmom

We have only ever stayed in Deluxe resorts (its our only vacation of the year and we save all our $$ for it) so I can't really attest to the Mods or Values, but I don't see how they would be any less "Disney".

See, I think the WL is "over the top"... its our favorite and even though we keep trying others we always go back, and it was the first WDW resort we ever stayed in.

Your trip is what you make it to be and it doesn't matter what resort you stay in. If you go in with the attitude that you will have a great time, no matter what, then you will. I know quite a few people who will only stay in a certain resort and others who make it their mission to try them all... go and have fun, relax and enjoy your family (or whomever you are travelling with). Its WDW after all, how bad can it be? :lol:

:wave:

Upvote 0

rmp_king

You are very fortunate TigsMom.. a deluxe resort every year :)
I would highly recommend the Port Orleans to stay at. Feels like Disney, food court and all. I've stayed at the French Quarter, enjoyed it very much.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

rmp_king said:
You are very fortunate TigsMom.. a deluxe resort every year :)
I would highly recommend the Port Orleans to stay at. Feels like Disney, food court and all. I've stayed at the French Quarter, enjoyed it very much.

I'm dying to stay at POFQ, but I keep getting voted down! :lol:

The DH saves big time as this is his big vacation each year so I can't argue with him too much, at least he lets me indulge in my Disney mania. :D

Upvote 0

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
tigsmom said:
I'm dying to stay at POFQ, but I keep getting voted down! :lol:

The DH saves big time as this is his big vacation each year so I can't argue with him too much, at least he lets me indulge in my Disney mania. :D

I'd help fight your case for POFQ. It is one of my most favorite resorts in Disney....second only to Poly. Even tho I usually stay at Deluxe resorts too I don't feel like it is cheap or not up to standards when I stay at FQ. Tell DH that they money you two save on the room can be put to good use for shopping, a really nice dinner, a backstage tour, or even (dare I say) put back into your savings account for next years trip so he doesnt have to work so hard. lol. :) Its just a very romantic and relaxing place not crawling with very young children and is much smaller than anywhere else you stay.

Upvote 0

justducky78

We've only booked either Moderate or Deluxe resorts and get that "Disney feel" everytime we walk into a Deluxe. Any of the monorail resorts feel MOST Disney to me. Although, we love WL and YC so we usually stay there. Eventually, we'd like to stay at all of the Deluxe resorts.

I've heard a lot of good things about Riverside/Port Orleans but we've toured it (it's themed nicely and pretty) but we just don't get that 'feeling' like we do at the Deluxe resorts. So, we can't see ourselves staying there. So, I guess it's all about where you feel 'most at home.' If you've always stayed at Pop Century, that's where your memories are at, and I can understand you wanting to stick with what you like.

My husband always stayed at the Contemporary with his family (growing up) so he associates that 'Disney feeling' most with that resort. Everytime we step into the lobby, he gets this big smile on his face! :D

Upvote 0

Jekyll Baker

I have a favorite resort of each category. I might go and stay 2-4 times a year, and pick a resort according to what I feel I want to spend for that particular trip. Short trips are usually at Value or Moderate resorts, and my one main (4-7 days) trip of a year is at a Deluxe or maybe a Moderate. My faves: Value is Pop, Moderate is POFQ, Deluxe is WL.
I've stayed at Pop and All-Stars, and just prefer the atmosphere of Pop.
I've stayed at all the Moderates. Caribbean is too spread out for me, Coronado definitely does not feel like Disney to me. POFQ just seems a little more quaint, or intimate (being the smallest of the Mods), a little more grown-up, and still feels Disney.
For the Deluxes, I've only stayed at WL and AKL, but have toured almost all the others. WL is just plain relaxing and beautiful. AKL comes in a close second. I think the one resort I will never stay in is GF, 'cause just touring it, it feels too stuffy - like you're in great-grandma's house and not allowed to touch anything - but that's just me.

Upvote 0

figmentmom

Another Port Orleans fan weighing in here - if you love that early morning trip to the food court to get the family fueled ready for a day at the parks, you just can't beat the food courts at either Port Orleans French Quarter and Riverside. Of the two resorts, I prefer Riverside, but they are both absolutely GORGEOUS! Very Disney, in every detail - give it a try!!!

Have a great trip! :wave:

Upvote 0

eroyee

what resorts?

:lol: Well, I gotta get in on this one. I love Port Orleans Riverside. We like Wilderness Lodge cause its over the top, but dont like the food court as well. we do like Whispering Canyon cafe, though. We have stayed at Caribbean Beach and thats too big. Our latest stay was at Pop Century, and we had never been there before. That place is so cool. There are so many neat things to look at all around. Good food court,too. Only one bus, doesnt go to other resorts. Guess its up to you. I cant imagine any resort on property not having the Disney Magic, though dont know if I would like Grand Floridian. Seems kinda stuffy to me! Just my opinion, though, having never stayed there. :wave:

Upvote 0

BRER STITCH

I can agree that your first WDW Resort is where the memories are, but I got over it very quickly when I realized how much more there was to discover!

Even so, you should stay where you feel most comfortable and "on vacation"!

You are right about the food courts, and noone does it better than POP CENTURY!

To ease your mind, you can always tour any of the other resorts while you are down there by simply getting on that resort's bus from any of the parks and looking around. If anything strikes your fancy, you could always book a PORTION of your stay at a new location and see how it goes. If you have a 10 day trip planned, why not try 6 or 7 days at your old favorite and then try 3 days at a new place. Then you will have the best of both worlds AND another choice to include or write off for your next trip!

As I've said before, a bad night's stay at a deluxe resort - and they happen all the time, for whatever reason - is much worse than a bad night's stay at a value resort!

HAVE FUN CHOOSING!!!

:wave:

Upvote 0

BeachClubVillas

I'm another POFQ fan weighing in here. It was our first stay on property, and we've stayed there close to ten times, most recently this past December. The resort is absolutely beautiful, and very Disney. And since the recent room rehabs, it's even better! I actually prefer POFQ to the Grand Floridian.

Upvote 0

Glasgow

The only way to truly know is by staying at every resort at least once -- start saving!! lol

For us, it's 2 down and 12 to go! (not including DVC and camping)

Upvote 0

littlered

My first trip was my honeymoon and we stayed at Dixie Landings(aka Port Orleans Riverside) we love it there. However we don't always get to stay there for financial reasons. So we have stayed at All star movies and sports and POP. POP being my new fav of the Value resorts. For me the magic starts as soon as we pass under that wonderful sign that says "Welcome to Disney World" So to me the magic is everywhere, no mater where we stay. Although I am looking forward to one day being able to stay at Wilderness Lodge, I think it is the most beautiful hotel.

Upvote 0

Jabarr

What about Boardwalk? MMMM...Boardwalk! Think of all the things you can do and walk to EPCOT and MGM!! Wow I love the service at Boardwalk and all the wonderful places to eat. Well any Resort is great as long as you are on site!! You will feel like a :king: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
Thanks so much for all the feedback. It sounds like every resort on site is magical in its own way.

So many of you on this thread, and other threads, have given rave reviews of POR and POFQ. What are the major differences between these resorts? I'm now trying to decide which of the two our family should choose for our Christmas 2007 trip?

Upvote 0

I luv WDW

Resort preferences

Port Orleans (either French Quarter or Riverside) are both very well themed and both definitely possess that Disney feel. Ditto Caribbean Beach. We also have stayed at Coronado Springs and didn't enjoy it quite as much.

Coming back to POFQ Nov. 23, 2006:)

Upvote 0

figmentmom

dreamscometrue said:
Thanks so much for all the feedback. It sounds like every resort on site is magical in its own way.

So many of you on this thread, and other threads, have given rave reviews of POR and POFQ. What are the major differences between these resorts? I'm now trying to decide which of the two our family should choose for our Christmas 2007 trip?

POR is larger than POFQ, and has more of a formal Southern atmosphere to it (in my opinion). there is only one bus stop for the disney buses to the parks at POFQ, but there are several at POR because it is much larger. The theming is extraordinarily well done at both, although POR has the edge there, too. I prefer the food court at POR - it just seems to have more choices. However, you really can't go wrong at either one! You can take a riverboat cruise (for free) to Downtown Disney from either resort - very romantic in the evening. Or, you can spring for a horse-drawn carriage ride for the family at POR. The two resorts are right next to each other, and share a walkway, so the amenities of both are convenient. POR has a full-service restaurant and a lounge; POFQ does not. The prices, I believe, are the same.

Upvote 0

Sewer

dreamscometrue said:
I am new to this so first of all let me apologize if there is already a thread dealing with this topic. I seached and couldn't find one quite like this.

In August 2003, when I was 38 years old, our family made our first trip to WDW and found it to be everything we had dreamed of for so many years (and so much more). When we returned to Canada we vowed to start saving and in Dec. 2005 made a 10 day excursion to 'the world'. Our third trip is booked for a year from now, and our fourth, at the end of 2007. Here is my dilemma.

Our first vacation was at All-Star Movies and on our second trip, we stayed at Pop Century for 9 of 10 days. As a result of delayed travel plans, our final day and night had us stay at Wilderness Lodge. Here comes the strange part. Although WL was stunning, it didn't feel to us like we were at WDW. We came to associate vacation at WDW with early morning food court breakfasts and over the top theming. Our next trip will have us at Pop again (we need 2 adjoining rooms for our larger party), but I'm thinking of a moderate (POR?) for the late 2007 trip. I wonder if we would get used to another resort and still feel the magic we have felt at the value resorts. I would be interested to read whether or not you associate your first resort with the most intense Disney magic. If you've stayed at more than one on site resort, I'd love to know how you felt when you switched locations.
My family, and I have stayed at CBR, POR, and will be staying at CSR this year. We have found all of them to be great, and always find new things to do while we're there.

Upvote 0

WDWEric

I totally know what you mean by the early morning food courts, and the bus stops and all the screaming kids. The Value resorts are great I don't know if I'll ever fork up the money to stay anywhere else!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom