Does everyone plan way in advance?

DfromATX

Original Poster
I'm going in June. I've had my trip booked since probably November or December and of course I booked my ADR's right at the 180-day mark. (Cause you have to!)

So my cousin emailed me 3 DAYS AGO and asked when we were going and maybe they might like to come too. Is it possible to book a Disney vacation on such short notice? I'm certain dining reservations would not be available, except maybe odd ball times, not the good places anyway. (Right?) But, maybe some people don't care about those things. She said she would think about it some more and let me know for sure.

Needless to say, I wasn't surprised when she told me later they might try to go next year. :rolleyes:

Pooh'sBuddy

Have they been before? Would they really want to eat at really popular TS places? I could see doing a spur of the moment trip and stay with CS eating. Actually, I was just looking at Tony's availability for when we'll be there and I recently made an ADR for La Hacienda, but I wouldn't even think of trying for 'Ohana.

They just released discounts for the second half of June, so there's a chance to save money there. So, the real question is how much do you like your cousin!! :p

DfromATX

Original Poster
Have they been before? Would they really want to eat at really popular TS places? I could see doing a spur of the moment trip and stay with CS eating. Actually, I was just looking at Tony's availability for when we'll be there and I recently made an ADR for La Hacienda, but I wouldn't even think of trying for 'Ohana.

They just released discounts for the second half of June, so there's a chance to save money there. So, the real question is how much do you like your cousin!! :p

No, they've never been. I don't think she realizes how big WDW is. For our first trip, we used a TA, but I still made my own ADR's. Part of the fun is planning the trip and finding new places to eat. We eat at Ohana everytime! Love that place.

Britt

I would absolutely encourage them to come along if they can afford it. ADR's aren't the end all be all of WDW. You can call and ask if they can add them to your reservation, even if you had to come in/move it 30 minutes or so.

I do NOT plan that way at all. I mean, we may know we want to go early, but my 2011 trip, we booked all of 2 months before going AND got ADRs for every single day (Chef Mickeys, 1900th Park, Crystal Palace, Ohana, and Liberty Tree) we were there. My BIL/SIL dont either and literally planned WEEKS before leaving and were able to get in on almost all our reservations.

I would encourage them to come with you guys and see what happens. Maybe they'll get to try some other places to eat and you meet up later. Maybe it'll help them to plan further ahead next time for different ADR's.

rufio

There will definitely be reservations still available, but not for the high-demand restaurants. We just decided to go on April 8th a couple months ago and we were able to get Raglan Road, 'Ohana (9pm was the only available time), Biergarten, and Olivia's. We weren't able to get Be Our Guest, Chef Mickey's, or Cinderella's Royal Table.

Anyway, I know how you feel. We've been planning to meet my cousin, her husband, and their 3 kids while we're there. They wanted to get together for dinner, but I had to bug the crap out of them for over a month to get them to tell me what day they wanted to go! They're going with the dining plan and haven't made any ADRs! :confused: They've been before, but never with DDP. I've told them over and over that they should really make ADRs if they want to get into their first choice restaurants! I'm sure they'll flip out when they see the BOG line for lunch!

lazyboy97o

I think it just depends how much you plan. I don't like planning every detail down to the last minute of my day, but I do have a greater sense of comfort if I know I have dinner reservations made and know which park (or parks) we're spending the day in. And of course, plans can always change! :)
Except it has pushed into the realm of punishing those who do not, dining being the biggest example.

Disvillain63

My DS and his family decided to come after all our plans were finalized for last November; about a month before the trip. I added them to the ADRs I could...called Disney Dining...really helpful. Kona Cafe couldn't be added on phone, but they said to arrive about 30 minutes before our ADR and just let them know that 3 more would be joining us. (It took them a couple of minutes to make the change in the dining room...5:10 reservation on a Saturday...all seated.) As for T-Rex, they told us to call the morning of the reservation. They said they couldn't make the adjustment until they got the reservation from Disney Dining, and Disney Dining couldn't change the reservation because it made us a party of 11. It all worked out and we kept all our ADRs in the same time period and days as originally scheduled.

Britt

There will definitely be reservations still available, but not for the high-demand restaurants. We just decided to go on April 8th a couple months ago and we were able to get Raglan Road, 'Ohana (9pm was the only available time), Biergarten, and Olivia's. We weren't able to get Be Our Guest, Chef Mickey's, or Cinderella's Royal Table.

Anyway, I know how you feel. We've been planning to meet my cousin, her husband, and their 3 kids while we're there. They wanted to get together for dinner, but I had to bug the crap out of them for over a month to get them to tell me what day they wanted to go! They're going with the dining plan and haven't made any ADRs! :confused: They've been before, but never with DDP. I've told them over and over that they should really make ADRs if they want to get into their first choice restaurants! I'm sure they'll flip out when they see the BOG line for lunch!
Have you had the Olivias?? We loved it :D We went there for breakfast and the potato thing they have is soooooooooooo good!

nc_disneyfreak

Except it has pushed into the realm of punishing those who do not, dining being the biggest example.
"punishing" is kind of a strong word here dont ya think....WDW is what? the number one resort destination in the US? millions of people go each year and to keep everything rolling smooth, especially those same millions of people eating, (which is kind of a big thing) the need to plan everyones meals 6 months ahead of time is a great idea.....the vast majority of people i would think, do some research into going, and as such, plan accordingly. If you show up at sci fi dine in theater with no reservation in the spring or summer, you need to plan better....

PUSH

It's totally possible to plan only a month or so in advance. Heck, our last trip was two weeks in advance, during spring break, too. It's probably a lot easier to plan on short notice if you go year after year like me.

ADRs will be very difficult to get, and if you do they will be for "average" restaurants at off hours. You won't be getting CRT.

Last trip was actually one of the more enjoyable trips because is was slower paced. Well, as slow of a pace that you can get in the parks.

I plan WAY in advance, maybe too far. We are going in October, and that has been planned forever. Then in 2014 we are going in Feb and in Oct and I already know where we are staying, when we are staying, and where I am going to get dining reservations. lol

And I am also in the pre-planning stages for our DL trip in Jan 2015... :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom