does every one get sick at Disney...

bjlc57

i just talked to some one who just came back from WDW.. and they got sick.. and i seem to read here about others getting sick at the parks.. Our trip is within a month, and the covid shots are not readly available in our area.. should be soon..i am concerned.. I am 67 and my wife is 70.. and my one grandchild just seems to catch everything.. We have been planning this trip for 5 years.. no ripping.. please just honest comments..

Tom P.

Oh for pity's sake, can we please not turn this into a debate on Covid vaccines? We're talking about how to stay healthy in the parks. Get vaccinated or don't, but Covid is only one of many possible things you could catch on vacation, and turning this thread into a debate about the Covid shot does nothing good for anyone.

Upvote 0

Disstevefan1

Oh for pity's sake, can we please not turn this into a debate on Covid vaccines? We're talking about how to stay healthy in the parks. Get vaccinated or don't, but Covid is only one of many possible things you could catch on vacation, and turning this thread into a debate about the Covid shot does nothing good for anyone.
Agreed.

In my opinion -

To keep from getting sick at the parks and resorts, self awareness is the key -
Think like a germophobe.
Try not to touch stuff then touch your face. Just try to touch stuff less (very hard for me)
Use hand sanitizer EVERYWHERE.
Wash your hands more often than is needed ;) when ever you can
I like to carry and use the pocket size Lysol
I have not done the exact research but there are supplements to can take to boost the immune system prior and during your trip

Upvote 0

DisneyHead123

I mean… maybe? Possibly? More likely than not everyone will follow the pattern they do at home (people who catch everything will catch something, people who are generally healthy will be healthy) but there’s always exceptions so who knows?

The thing is, you of course know there’s no way to predict this. So in the end it comes down to your comfort level. How much will the worry of illness impact your trip? As someone who has my germophobe moments, I like to think I “get it”. There’s no way to predict if someone is actually going to get sick, but what you can probably predict is your approximate anxiety level and whether or not it’s worth it.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Exactly!

Upvote 0

MissingDisney

Of course all of the common sense things listed by others but I would also recommend rest. Good old fashioned rest.

When people are vacationing at WDW on a trip they’ve planned for 1, 2, 3+ years, they have a tendency to want to do it all and cram as much as possible into every day. It’s normal. We want the most for our money and time.

But, pushing pushing pushing has physical effects. Getting up early, eating sometimes less than healthy food (body fuel), forgetting hydration, staying up way later than normal and doing so while putting in 10K step and more a day…..the body can only take so much and cracks in the immune armor can be exploited. Because we‘re on a vacation high, we don’t listen to our body like normal and keep pushing it.

Until nature says ……nope. Not happening.

Remember to take rests, if you’re feeling run down, it’s ok to sleep in or head back to the room early. Recharge instead of deplete every day.

Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

mf1972

before covid, i always somehow managed to get a cold while being down there, but haven’t during our last few trips, post covid. go figure. everyone is different, & some are more susceptible than others. do what’s best for you & your family, & i would suggest bringing sanitizer with you. hope you have a safe & fun trip.

Upvote 0

Lilofan

It's never any fun to be sick, especially when on vacation, especially-especially not at Disney! (I have a coworker there right now who's sadly not feeling well.) The stress of travel and disruption of sleep patterns probably don't help, but, if you start feeling ill while on vacation, isn't it likely you caught it before you got there? Most illnesses have an incubation period of at least a few days. I know my mother often gets sick after a trip because she picked up something while traveling.
The flying Petri dish is called an airline. I'm one of the few on the plane that wore a mask while a number of fellow guests on the plane were sneezing coughing etc. The flight attendants were no longer handing out wipes but when I asked they gave me several packs. I wiped the filthy food drink tray and the seat backs and seat cushions and arms. Better safe than sorry.

Upvote 0

Angel Ariel

i just talked to some one who just came back from WDW.. and they got sick.. and i seem to read here about others getting sick at the parks.. Our trip is within a month, and the covid shots are not readly available in our area.. should be soon..i am concerned.. I am 67 and my wife is 70.. and my one grandchild just seems to catch everything.. We have been planning this trip for 5 years.. no ripping.. please just honest comments..
Ive gotten covid my last two trips to Disney. I wasn't sick at the parks, but came down sick soon after getting home. We're going soon, and I got my covid shot last week and flu yesterday. It may help, it may not - the hand washing advice is always solid of course - but I'll try to do what I can to prevent it.

Upvote 0

Skibum1970

The only time that I got sick was when I triggered a food allergy. So, I get all of my food from Publix and pretty much stay away from Disney food. Now, this is a little extreme for some but I cannot afford cross-contamination or eating food that I did not know had certain ingredients. On the plus side, I tend to come home at either the same weight or maybe a little lighter.

Upvote 0

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
People commonly run themselves down leading up and into a WDW trip. Travel can be stressful. People often arrive already sleep deprived and continue until too exhausted. Hydration. It’s enough to take a toll on our immune system making us more susceptible to the germs we encounter.

Local communities each have waves of predominant strains that differ area to area, but a place like WDW has endless new arrivals bringing all/most of them in at the same time. Atlanta, Biloxi and Toronto could be hot with different things currently and people from each area are visiting WDW and some of them end up sharing. WDW is constantly getting every active thing introduced from all over.

So you have lowered immune defense, more things going around, and… new arrivals from all over in close proximity for somewhat long durations of time. It’s a recipe for increased chance of illness.

Try to keep up on sleep, stay hydrated, eat well, and avoid as much stress as possible. Don’t make travel plans a nail biter - leave healthy cushions of time. If delays happen try not to bug out - take a deep breath. Drink that water even if you hate the airplane toilet. Don’t leave everything to the last minute and get some sleep before travel and don’t run yourself ragged with a crazy travel and park touring schedule. Wash your hands. Don’t touch your face or mouth without washing hands first. Try not to be in other people’s personal space bubble especially if you suspect sick. You can’t 100% prevent the possibility of catching something. You can reduce the chances. Which reminds me - it’s almost 2 months till our trip and it’s been almost 2 years since my last booster 😆 I’m overdue. Time to fix that.

Upvote 0

Lilofan

People commonly run themselves down leading up and into a WDW trip. Travel can be stressful. People often arrive already sleep deprived and continue until too exhausted. Hydration. It’s enough to take a toll on our immune system making us more susceptible to the germs we encounter.

Local communities each have waves of predominant strains that differ area to area, but a place like WDW has endless new arrivals bringing all/most of them in at the same time. Atlanta, Biloxi and Toronto could be hot with different things currently and people from each area are visiting WDW and some of them end up sharing. WDW is constantly getting every active thing introduced from all over.

So you have lowered immune defense, more things going around, and… new arrivals from all over in close proximity for somewhat long durations of time. It’s a recipe for increased chance of illness.

Try to keep up on sleep, stay hydrated, eat well, and avoid as much stress as possible. Don’t make travel plans a nail biter - leave healthy cushions of time. If delays happen try not to bug out - take a deep breath. Drink that water even if you hate the airplane toilet. Don’t leave everything to the last minute and get some sleep before travel and don’t run yourself ragged with a crazy travel and park touring schedule. Wash your hands. Don’t touch your face or mouth without washing hands first. Try not to be in other people’s personal space bubble especially if you suspect sick. You can’t 100% prevent the possibility of catching something. You can reduce the chances. Which reminds me - it’s almost 2 months till our trip and it’s been almost 2 years since my last booster 😆 I’m overdue. Time to fix that.
Some like us are run down because of the intense heat during the summer. Add the stress it can break a body down.

Upvote 0

Skibum1970

Agreed.

In my opinion -

To keep from getting sick at the parks and resorts, self awareness is the key -
Think like a germophobe.
Try not to touch stuff then touch your face. Just try to touch stuff less (very hard for me)
Use hand sanitizer EVERYWHERE.
Wash your hands more often than is needed ;) when ever you can
I like to carry and use the pocket size Lysol
I have not done the exact research but there are supplements to can take to boost the immune system prior and during your trip

I carry hand sanitizer with me at all times but haven't carried Lysol. When we checked into our room last year, my wife felt the room was dirty. So, I had purchased some Windex and paper towels at Publix already and proceeded to give the room a good cleaning. She thought that she had smelled dog but I couldn't. Either way, we cleaned the room a bit, although I'm not sure anyone wants to go through that much trouble.

Upvote 0

John park hopper

I carry hand sanitizer with me at all times but haven't carried Lysol. When we checked into our room last year, my wife felt the room was dirty. So, I had purchased some Windex and paper towels at Publix already and proceeded to give the room a good cleaning. She thought that she had smelled dog but I couldn't. Either way, we cleaned the room a bit, although I'm not sure anyone wants to go through that much trouble.
The prices you have to pay the rooms should be spotless and sanitized

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom