Does anyone remember Disney World in 1987

quirkle

I remember when it was Donald's 50th Birthday in 1984 and everywhere you went they sang; "Happy Birthday; Its Donald's birthday, Happy, Happy Birthday to you - Hey Donald" I still sing that whenever I am just walking around.:lol:

We are really looking forward to Mickey's 100th birthday on 11/18/2028. My sister will be 50 on that day and we plan on being in the MK to celebrate with the man!:)

MKCP 1985

When I was working the college program in 1985, they still had some of those 50th birthday Donald Duck watches for sale in one of the Magic Kingdom stores on Main Street, so I bought it just to be different. Still have it after all these years. :D

I do remember Disney World in 1987 - I went down in August for a wedding, and my grandparents made their one and only visit to the Magic Kingdom on that trip, which made that visit very special. The only parade I remember was the Main Street Electrical Parade which was running at night back then, in a little different version than the current one. :)

Ralphlaw

THE bicentennial was in 1976, as in, 200 years after 1776. But you could celebrate the bicentennial of anything really, so who knows?

The Revolutionary War actually began in 1775, but the Continental Congress, such as it was, didn't vote on the Declaration of Independence until early July, 1776. Thomas Jefferson wrote it, John Adams lobbied for the whole thing, John Hancock presided over the debates, and Ben Franklin was probably the most respected spokesman. Watch the musical "1776" for a fun take on the whole thing.

The Revolutionary War was finally considered won after the Battle of Yorktown in 1781, but the Treaty of Paris with England was not signed until 1783.

The colonies essentially governed themselves independently under the Articles of Confederation in a state of relative chaos until 1787 when delegates met to write a Constitution. George Washington presided over the Constitutional Convention, and James Madison did most of the real work, thus being labelled the Father of the Constitution. It passed the convention and was ratifed by the states in the months thereafter, with George Washington being elected our 1st president in 1789, and the Supreme Court meeting for the first time in 1790.

Therefore, 1976 is the bicentennial of our independence. 1981 was the bicentennial of the last major Reveolutionary War battle. 1983 was the annniversary of the treaty that fully made us independent of England. 1987 was the bicentennial of the Constitution. 1989 is the bicentennial of the presidency. 1990 is the bicentennial of our court system. 2011 is the centennial of Ronald Reagan's birth, and is the 20th anniversary of my law degree, the 12th anniversary of my son's birth, and 5th anniversary of my daughter's birth.

Thus ends our history lesson. The test will be on Friday.

mitchk

Original Poster
:) I forgot all about this thread. I read the title, and then noticed it was mine for 06' "Holy Thread Bump Batman" lol :)

spectrodanny

here's the lyrics to the main theme for the "All America Parade"

America! America! America! There's a spirit that's growing across this great land, A spirit as bright as a big brass band good old American pride For the red white and blue it's alive and strong and calling you. show your spirit America from sea to shining sea Chorus: It's the spirit of America standing tall and proud and free it's the spirit of America From sea to shining sea one spirit from sea to shining sea. Come and follow the music across this great land We'll sing our song "Let Freedom Ring" American's hand in hand From the North to the South The East to the West, Show your spirit America From sea to shining sea Chorus (2 x's)

KBLovedDisney

1bu888.jpg

Well, considering I was only 1, don't quite remember much.

Simba's Mom

I remember going in 1986 and they were giving away prizes as part of the 15th anniversary celebration. I won a visor with flashing lights...WOOOO HOOO! :p

I remember seeing the construction walls up around Norway with the coming soon sign.....ah those were the days :)

They were still giving prizes away in 1987. I've still got my coupon for a free coke from our first visit in October, 1987. And, if I remember right, I think they had a car in front of the MK that was to be some grand prize. When we rode on the monorail, there was always an announcement about the Grand Floridian resort being built and what it would be like. My biggest regret is that I didn't take a picture of the GF during construction. Norway and Wonders of Life weren't built then, but they were before our next trip in 1989.

mikeymouse

This was an awesome parade. The character hit parade and surprise celebration parade were also cool. My favorite celebration has to be the WDW 15th birthday with Bea Arthur and Betty White.

mickeysaver

Sorry, senior spring break with my dad and, then, stepmom, April, 1986 was my last visit until 2001. We only went to Epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom