Does anyone remember Disney World in 1987

mitchk

Original Poster
I was just sitting by my computer thinking of my first trip to Disney in 1987. They were having a celebration for America. I remember clear as day the song they were singing in the parades "It's the spirit of America, standing tall, and proud, and free, It's the sprit of America, from sea to shinning sea one spirit, from sea to shinning sea" Does anyone else remember that. I'm gonna go dig out my home video and sing along :wave:

EpcotMark

Yeah, it was a much better parade than today's. Today's is a bit to sappy if you ask me.

FYI: Magic Kingdom Parade is changing as of August 10th

mitchk

Original Poster
I did not know they released a video for the 87 celebration, I have a video my Grandfather made in 1987, that was a magical year

Nut4Disney

I remember in 1986 when they were celebrating 15 yrs of WDW, and there was this song they sang.....15 years..... 15 years of making magic......15 yrs.......

LudwigVonDrake

I remember going in 1986 and they were giving away prizes as part of the 15th anniversary celebration. I won a visor with flashing lights...WOOOO HOOO! :p

I remember seeing the construction walls up around Norway with the coming soon sign.....ah those were the days :)

Nemo14

I remember going in 1986 and they were giving away prizes as part of the 15th anniversary celebration. I won a visor with flashing lights...WOOOO HOOO! :p

I remember seeing the construction walls up around Norway with the coming soon sign.....ah those were the days :)
I won a pass to Discovery Island and River Country

barnum42

1986 Was my first ever trip to The World. They were still giving away prizes at the MK gate on one of the days - I won a Tomorrowland pin.

The parade had changed though - the Mickey's 60th Birthday parade was on the go. Now THAT had an annoyingly catchy theme tune :D

sbkline

I'm pretty sure 1987 was the year I went for the first time. I know I was in Junior High and I know where we lived at the time, as my Dad was a minister and we moved every few years as he would take over a new church. So I remember many things based on where we were living at that time and what time frame that was. Anyway, we went down to Florida to see his sister, and he and mom took my brother and I and our cousin to Orlando to visit the (then) two Disney Parks. We stayed off property and did EPCOT (then known as "epcot center") one day and Magic Kingdom the next. Although I love EPCOT now, I thought it was the most boring thing back then. Bah! Who cares about all this science crap! Give me some rides, I thought! LOL I only remember bits and pieces, though. I remember some ride where you had the feeling of flying really fast over a city or something, at EPCOT. Someone said it may have been the world of motion. And I remember Magic Kingdom having cable cars. I also remember, being the dumb 11 year old that I was, thinking that those were real dinosaur bones at the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. :lol:

Eljay

You brought back memories from 1988, when I got my first AP! Of course, there was only MK & Epcot then. I remember getting an invitation to the "sneak preview" of MGM!
Toontown was called "Mickey's Birthday Land" back then. Anybody remember the song they played on the train at MK? "We're Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' To Mickey's Birthday Land...". Oh great, now I'm gonna be humming that all day!!!:lol:

WDWRLD

My first trip was in july 87, they were giving away the 15 yease prize cards then too. Got all kinds of stuff throughout the week but never won the big prize...the car. Wasnt it like a chevette or something? Anyhow , Norway was under construction, so was MGM, we had a lagoon view room at the Poly and watched them building the GF. The only bus service then was to FW and Disney Inn.

WishIwasThere

1987-
I have a bunch of picures of MK. Don't remember the parade...probably didn't bother with it since I was 18 at the time. Ah, yes the skyway was still in place, the subs still went around the lagoon, and most important we still had that wild ride with Mr. Toad. (not to mention all the old attractions over in Tomorrowland).

6 months to DL...

pjkaok

My first trip was in 87. I was 1, so i dont really remember the trip from memory but the camcorder video has burned the "spirit of america", as well as the P Wee's playhouse X-mas special that is dubbed on the VHS right after the trip, into my mind forever.:xmas:

Firewolfe51

my 1ST was 88 on a school trip. and I was too cool for a mouse or anything else. well let back up my 1ST i can really remember. There was a couple before i was 5 or 6 years old! Well no I dint recall the parades but that trip has caused me to spend more money in the past 18 years than some people make in a year. (I'm kidding) I miss EPCOT and the MK the way it was in 88. Because right then on that trip was when the magic got all over me and has NEVER slowed up it just gets worse

tink81

You brought back memories from 1988, when I got my first AP! Of course, there was only MK & Epcot then. I remember getting an invitation to the "sneak preview" of MGM!
Toontown was called "Mickey's Birthday Land" back then. Anybody remember the song they played on the train at MK? "We're Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' To Mickey's Birthday Land...". Oh great, now I'm gonna be humming that all day!!!:lol:

I remember that! I think that was the last time I went to that part of the park....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom