Does anyone know the current conditions of The Polynesian?

Adam H

Original Poster
We are going there in March, from the 13th to the 18th after several nights at AK Lodge. We received a letter in January informing us of construction and monorail downtime (Monday thru Friday from 11am to 7:30pm)

I immediately called the resort directly and got in touch with guest relations...I did not call reservations or booking. I found that the beach by the pool was open and our stay should be largely unaffected. They were adding additional boats and a dedicated bus route for the Grand Floridian / Polynesian to MK.

That being said, I was able to negotiate a 25% discount off the lodging, per day.

It was confirmed that the plan was to start major renovations to the Great Ceremonial House on Monday, March 17th.

We received a letter today that states all the above info, plus news now that Capt Cooks is being relocated, with limited hours and reduced menu offerings. Needless to say, we are very concerned and are waiting for a return call from guest relations.

They did tell us that the pool is being demolished in late July and told us that we won't want to come anywhere near the resort in November, 2014, when we return to WDW.

s&k'smom

Well I'm glad you were able to get the discount and can enjoy the resort during construction, I would love to hear a trip report when you get back.

PartOfYourWorld

I'll be at the Poly next weekend for a trip and can update you here on the current conditions there. I received the same letter you did about the monorail, and construction. Capt. Cooks is closing on the 1st of March. Check out Tikiman's pages website about the Polynesian he just recently posted about all the construction going on. If you're very concerned, maybe see if you could switch to another resort? Good luck.

ToTBellHop

I would describe Poly as...a hot mess. Congrats on the discount, though! It should be offered to everyone visiting the tropical-themed dirt mound.

tikiman

Dear @Adam H

For more information regarding the Polynesian Resort March Renovations, go to my new thread:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...-closes-in-march-2014-for-renovations.880598/

Congratulations and good luck! :D

- EnchantedMouse

Just some corrections.

Right now they are looking at the old Wyland Gallery location as a temporary check in area while the main check in area is redone. I asked them if Captain Cook’s would be expanded into that area and they don’t believe that to be the case. If they decide to use that as a temporary check in location but and are working on Captain Cook's starting early March they would not have that area to do both at the same time.

After they finish the new check in area, that location is being talked about becoming an ice cream shop that may also serve Dole Whips. During the renovation of the current location for Captain Cook’s they will have a temporary location set up inside the GCH where the CM’s have a cafeteria called Cast Cove.

The Neverland club closed to be expanded and re-themed to something Hawaiian and is not planning on becoming a food service location.

Work to the entire GCH will be done in sections at a time and they hope to complete by December 2014.

PhilharMagician

Wyland Gallery for check-in? They should be able find a better location than that. How about the Neverland Club. If they are going to be working on the main lobby in the GCH it does not make sense to me to have people walking through the lobby to get to the old Wyland Gallery and that hall way is not that wide heading from the GCH past Wyland and the CC's. Ah, what do I know. :joyfull:

tikiman

Wyland Gallery for check-in? They should be able find a better location than that. How about the Neverland Club. If they are going to be working on the main lobby in the GCH it does not make sense to me to have people walking through the lobby to get to the old Wyland Gallery and that hall way is not that wide heading from the GCH past Wyland and the CC's. Ah, what do I know. :joyfull:

Just telling you what they told me. Back in December when they told me Wyland Gallery would close on December 31 they said it would be used for front desk while the lobby was being worked on. I can only report what they tell me. I don't turn their words into what I may speculate. If I just guessed at what I thought they will do or what makes sense than I would be wrong most of the time.

Maybe it was the best location on the first floor that would not be disturbed and was available but maybe by the time March comes they will change their mind. I know back in 2011 when I talked to them about the GCH renovations they mentioned looking at using the old arcade over behind Neverland Club as a temporary check in location but they obviously changed their minds.

jlsHouston

Honestly it is sad in some ways about the changes going on at the POLY because I loved it just the way it was...but I am also excited about hopefully staying there again in 2015 once the remodel is complete. I am sure this has been asked but it the Volcano pool getting enlarged? I really like that pool and the cabanas and the slide but wish it was a bit larger.

tikiman

Honestly it is sad in some ways about the changes going on at the POLY because I loved it just the way it was...but I am also excited about hopefully staying there again in 2015 once the remodel is complete. I am sure this has been asked but it the Volcano pool getting enlarged? I really like that pool and the cabanas and the slide but wish it was a bit larger.

The actual form of the pool itself I am told will not change and the slide will remain the way it is but the volcano sturcture around it will be changed to something not as big. The pool deck area will expand around the pool area and towards the GCH also taking up the area where the marina rental building is (that will be moved).

PhilharMagician

Just telling you what they told me. Back in December when they told me Wyland Gallery would close on December 31 they said it would be used for front desk while the lobby was being worked on. I can only report what they tell me. I don't turn their words into what I may speculate. If I just guessed at what I thought they will do or what makes sense than I would be wrong most of the time.

Maybe it was the best location on the first floor that would not be disturbed and was available but maybe by the time March comes they will change their mind. I know back in 2011 when I talked to them about the GCH renovations they mentioned looking at using the old arcade over behind Neverland Club as a temporary check in location but they obviously changed their minds.

I was not questioning you at all. I just personally think there could be a better temporary location for check-in than the old Wyland Gallery.

PhilharMagician

Yeah maybe. What do you think would be a better location? I would think Boutiki but I don't know if they intend on closing that during the first phases of renovations.

I agree the Boutiki would work. I was just thinking the now closed Neverland club to keep some of the guests out of the GCH and the construction zone at least during check-in. They must have something planned for that area.

tikiman

I agree the Boutiki would work. I was just thinking the now closed Neverland club to keep some of the guests out of the GCH and the construction zone at least during check-in. They must have something planned for that area.

They considered using the old arcade over near Neverland but obviously changed their mind. It sounds like it would have been a good idea to me. Neverland is on a tight schedule to be completed so to take up some of its time using it as check in would not have worked.

They do have a plan for the Wyland area but it sounds like that effort will start when they are done with the new check in area.

I just got word an hour ago that communications went out saying that work on the GCH will start immediately so it will be interesting to see if we see anything in the next week. I guess we will see what the decide to do soon enough.

PhilharMagician

They considered using the old arcade over near Neverland but obviously changed their mind. It sounds like it would have been a good idea to me. Neverland is on a tight schedule to be completed so to take up some of its time using it as check in would not have worked.

They do have a plan for the Wyland area but it sounds like that effort will start when they are done with the new check in area.

I just got word an hour ago that communications went out saying that work on the GCH will start immediately so it will be interesting to see if we see anything in the next week. I guess we will see what the decide to do soon enough.

Thanks, please keep us informed if you hear anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom