Does a Dark Ride have to have a track?

• Yes

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • No

Votes: 32 65.3%

• Total voters

Spaced Out Dude

Original Poster
There is actually a guide that is under the water that keeps the boats in line...it's two rails that run parallel to each other and the boat floats between them. Sometimes you can actually feel the sides or front of the boat hit the rails. Same goes for IASW.

Yah, I know it's on a track, but if that guy said Small World was off track, then wouldn't Pirates be? I was just adding to his thoughts, not necessarily agreeing with him.

cloudboy

So if you had bumper cars in a dark building with normal black-light sets, and instead of going around in circles you were encouraged to circulate through the sets, would that not be a dark ride?

WDWFigment

Is this asking if an attraction can not have a track and by definition still be a dark ride, or is it asking if engineering will allow a dark ride to not have a track?

If it's the former, I generally hadn't thought of any of the rides that are being termed "hybrids" here as dark rides, but that's because they're always marketed as thrill rides. I'm sure they'd call IASW and Peter Pan something besides dark rides (which only states the basic quality they both share) if they could, but what else is there to describe them? I would think any attraction that takes place primarily in the dark could be termed a dark ride, we just aren't used to it because they are better described by other terms.

Disneylander07

From what i know. TOT is not on a track at all. Its on Wired Guided System. A data cable is embedded in the ride floor with sensors on the bottom of the Vehicles that when rode over tell the vehicle what to do.

Tom Morrow

^ Correct, sir.

Also, if a ride has high speed elements as well as dark ride segments, then its definitely a dark ride hybrid.

Examples: Tower of Terror & Revenge of the Mummy - both begin as dark rides and turn into thrill rides.

In response to the original question, I personally don't think that a dark ride has to be on a literal track... and boat/log flumes like Pirates and Splash Mountain count.

Justin Jones

Theoretically, no ride really needs a track. Like someone already mentioned, the technology exists. Sensors in the vehicle are simply programmed to follow sensors in the floor. With that said, though, I should add that it would be highly unlikely for Disney to ever produce a ride such as a trackless Indiana Jones. If you notice, all of the trackless rides move rather slow. If some computer malfunction were to occur, and the vehicle drifted away from the sensor, it probably wouldn't roll more than an inch before the whole ride shut down (because the car was moving slowly to begin with). If a glitch ever occurred in a fast moving vehicle, I'm sure you could imagine the unsettling results.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom