Doctor Who (BBC & Disney+ 2023)

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
The Tardis has arrived at Disney Springs. The new photo op will be available through June 3.

IMG_E35D1C2AECE8-1.jpeg

BrianLo

Thought the first of the two new episodes, "Space Babies," was just so-so at best, but "The Devil's Chord" was really good, with a fun villain and the early days of the Fab Four. Amazing that they were both written by Davies; perhaps he wrote the first one really stoned or something.

Can't deny Ncuti's energy in the role, really like him (I am a Baker originalist as well). Looking forward to the rest of the season and hoping it's more "Chord" than "Babies."

Ditto. At least the overlying Toy Maker plot has been hitting.

I'm too finding it a mix of one really good episode and then the stand-alone, frankly single set piece episodes are merely ok. For a show with a bigger budget, it doesn't feel like some of the episodes have that. Standing on a Roomba in a Void film location is hardly breaking the bank. Same with the Tennant Christmas specials.

Though I guess that's the old school charm?

Overall I'm still much more into it than I have been in a decade.

KeithVH

But none of that is because of Disney which is what that poster was commenting, ie just because it has a D+ logo doesn't mean Disney has any involvement in its creation.

If you have an issue with the current Doctor Who season blame the BBC and Davies, they have creative control.
Oh, I do. I do.

KeithVH

So why continue to watch, if you do, as its been this same way for 20 years now (longer if you really think about how progressive the original series really was)?
I stopped watching in the middle of Capaldi. I realized eps like "The Girl in The Fireplace", "Voyage Of The Damned", or "A Christmas Carol" (I love Katherine Jenkins voice) were becoming VERY few and far between. Got tired of some of the crap going on with the show. I won't even go into detail about missing Leela😲. Am I the only one who can't understand Capaldi sometimes (my family is from the Highlands too)? And it's not just Davies fault, there's enough blame for Moffat too.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I stopped watching in the middle of Capaldi. I realized eps like "The Girl in The Fireplace", "Voyage Of The Damned", or "A Christmas Carol" (I love Katherine Jenkins voice) were becoming VERY few and far between. Got tired of some of the crap going on with the show. I won't even go into detail about missing Leela😲. Am I the only one who can't understand Capaldi sometimes (my family is from the Highlands too)? And it's not just Davies fault, there's enough blame for Moffat too.
Sorry to hear you don't enjoy it anymore. To me as someone who grew up watching Who here in the States since the day it landed on PBS in the 70s, its always been progressive, a mirror if you will, based on the current societal trends. Davies and Moffat just continued that tradition.

BrianLo

Oh wow. Two really strong episodes! I had this one pegged to be a dud with how they were pacing them out. Very black mirror, a masterclass in body language wrapped in a vapid shiny conceit of a tech story.

I sought out afterwards how people were reacting. And there's almost this strange societal commentary about how the point of the episode was almost not heavy handed enough. Maybe from a naive source of privilege?

I honestly want to reach out to the editorial team with how spectacularly this reviewer didn't get it.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom