Doctor Who (BBC & Disney+ 2023)

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
The new season of Doctor Who on Disney+ premieres May 10 at 7pm ET.

In the UK, the new season premieres Saturday, May 11 at 12am GMT on BBC iPlayer, followed by BBC One later that day.

GIt1TRLaEAEreRG.jpeg

jpinkc

I hope to be done with my bingeathon by then, but it may be cutting it close. I've been rewatching Classic Doctor Who from the beginning and am about halfway through. :)
The ONLY Doctor Who that matters (Original run), Ok the start of New Who was good Eccleston, Tennant, Smith (Matt), Cappaldi (love him) but his was hot and cold with me. The latest stuff, uhm what happened........

MarvelCharacterNerd

The ONLY Doctor Who that matters (Original run), Ok the start of New Who was good Eccleston, Tennant, Smith (Matt), Cappaldi (love him) but his was hot and cold with me. The latest stuff, uhm what happened........
Each Doctor brought something unique to the character. But of course, like every Whovian, I have my favorites. :)

Okay, I'll do the controversial rundown from most fave to least fave...

Jon Pertwee
Tom Baker
David Tennant
Sylvester McCoy
Christopher Eccleston
Patrick Troughton
Peter Capaldi
Jodie Whittaker (recency bias? maybe, but I quite liked her in the role overall)
Paul McGann (probably would have ranked higher given more to do as I quite liked him but there isn't enough to rank unless you count the audios, in which case he might rank above Capaldi for me - tough call)
Colin Baker (love Colin as a person - utterly dear man, but a very rough era as a very unlikeable Doctor)
Peter Davison
Matt Smith
William Hartnell (though oddly, I find David Bradley's interpretation of Hartnell's Doctor warmer and more endearing than the man himself and would probably rank him above Peter Davison and Matt Smith, who, yeah, I don't really care for in the role)

I can't rank Ncuti Gatwa until I've seen more episodes :) and I consider John Hurt more guest star level than really inhabiting the Doctor (and same for Jo Martin though I really liked her).

Last edited:

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Each Doctor brought something unique to the character. But of course, like every Whovian, I have my favorites. :)

Jon Pertwee
Tom Baker
David Tennant
Sylvester McCoy
Christopher Eccleston
Patrick Troughton
Peter Capaldi
Jodie Whittaker (recency bias? maybe, but I quite liked her in the role overall)
Paul McGann (probably would have ranked higher given more to do as I quite liked him but there isn't enough to rank unless you count the audios, in which case he might rank above Capaldi for me - tough call)
Colin Baker (love Colin as a person - utterly dear man, but a very rough era as a very unlikeable Doctor)
Peter Davison
Matt Smith
William Hartnell (though oddly, I find David Bradley's interpretation of Hartnell's Doctor warmer and more endearing than the man himself and would probably rank him above Peter and Matt, who, yeah, I don't really care for in the role)

I can't rank Ncuti Gatwa until I've seen more episodes :) and I consider John Hurt more guest star level than really inhabiting the Doctor (and same for Jo Martin though I really liked her).
I can't disagree with you too much, except that I would maybe switch Eccleston and Pertwee, and drop McCoy further down the list (I admit, I saw maybe one McCoy episode, I think he got a short stick).

I agree with you in that I didn't really care for Matt Smith or Peter Capaldi (although I was glad to see them move The Doctor to an "older" trajectory rather than keep making him younger and younger, which I thought ridiculous. That may have represented my entire bias against Matt Smith (that he was just too young), although I have to quote my dear departed mother to say "he was hard to look at" (meaning he wasn't very good looking 🤣)

Thought Jodie Whittaker was good, but a bit too soon, and after the first few episodes, the writing let her down, I lost interest. Absolutely agree with you about Paul McGann.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I can't disagree with you too much, except that I would maybe switch Eccleston and Pertwee, and drop McCoy further down the list (I admit, I saw maybe one McCoy episode, I think he got a short stick).

I agree with you in that I didn't really care for Matt Smith or Peter Capaldi (although I was glad to see them move The Doctor to an "older" trajectory rather than keep making him younger and younger, which I thought ridiculous. That may have represented my entire bias against Matt Smith (that he was just too young), although I have to quote my dear departed mother to say "he was hard to look at" (meaning he wasn't very good looking 🤣)

Thought Jodie Whittaker was good, but a bit too soon, and after the first few episodes, the writing let her down, I lost interest. Absolutely agree with you about Paul McGann.
Just to clarify - I liked Peter Capaldi. I'm not a fan of Peter Davison's Doctor. Just edited to specify the distinction! :)

But Doctor fandom is always subjective! :D

However, Sylvester McCoy's era had some wonderful episodes (and a few awful ones, admittedly lol) and had one of the best companions ever in Ace - I highly recommend watching his seasons since all existent Doctor Who episodes (*not caught up in current litigation i.e. Unearthly Child) are currently streaming. :)

jpinkc

Jon Pertwee
Tom Baker
David Tennant
Sylvester McCoy
Christopher Eccleston
Patrick Troughton
Peter Capaldi
Peter Davison
Matt Smith
William Hartnell (though oddly, I find David Bradley's interpretation of Hartnell's Doctor warmer and more endearing than the man himself and would probably rank him above Peter Davison and Matt Smith, who, yeah, I don't really care for in the role)

Nice to see another Pertwee man!!! Good listing I think Troughton is better than Slyvester but they are close. Colin really got crapped on for stories, the Big Finish Audios made me love his doctor. Pertwee's stories had socially relevant messaging in alot of them, and I did not think they were ever as Heavy Handed and Blugeoning as the newest stuff. Wish they could get back to that. But what do I know.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Nice to see another Pertwee man!!! Good listing I think Troughton is better than Slyvester but they are close. Colin really got crapped on for stories, the Big Finish Audios made me love his doctor. Pertwee's stories had socially relevant messaging in alot of them, and I did not think they were ever as Heavy Handed and Blugeoning as the newest stuff. Wish they could get back to that. But what do I know.
Pertwee managed to make the Doctor aspirational instead of grumpy (Hartnell) or endearingly amusing (Troughton) and was the first Doctor who had romantic appeal - in both the "companion falls for the Doctor" sense and the sort of dashing action star quality, bringing in the James Bond style of both the vehicles and the villains (Delgado's Master was totally a Bond villain type). Having taken some of The Avengers' (Steed & Peel, not Marvel) writers, the 3rd Doctor had all of that late-60's pizzaz going for his early 70's era. Plus Unit stalwarts the Brigadier, Sgt. Benton and Mike Yates!

Although for the time, I think they were pretty heavy-handed in their messaging - from "women's lib" to environmental issues, there was a lot of social commentary in the shows in those seasons. And I'm sure it upset some people then, too. We can just look back at it and say "of course thinking the female companions were only good for tripping on things and making tea" is unacceptable, but companions like Jo and Sarah Jane really defined what the modern companion could and should be - supportive but strong in their own moral centers. Yet a further reason to love the Pertwee era. :)

I really wish more of Troughton's era survived. :( He was brilliant in playing the clown with the clever glint in his eye. Sylvester absolutely followed that quality of mixing funny with very dark tones underneath.

Colin absolutely got the worst treatment as a character - from wardrobe to storylines, but he played the snob fully to the hilt. And he's just a wonderful guy out of that character.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Davison (still like the celery) and McCoy were my Doctors as that is who I grew up with. Though I liked both Bakers, not so much Troughton, Pertwee, or Hartnell.

I had crushes on both Nyssa and Peri growing up. :)

Of the new batch Tennant, Smith, and then Jodie in that order for me. I did like the "rock" Doctor with Capaldi, but less than the others. Eccelson was just too intense for me, but did like Billie.

McGann would have been good had the movie gone anywhere, but it fell flat.

jpinkc

Davison (still like the celery) and McCoy were my Doctors as that is who I grew up with. Though I liked both Bakers, not so much Troughton, Pertwee, or Hartnell.

I had crushes on both Nyssa and Peri growing up. :)

Of the new batch Tennant, Smith, and then Jodie in that order for me. I did like the "rock" Doctor with Capaldi, but less than the others. Eccelson was just too intense for me, but did like Billie.

McGann would have been good had the movie gone anywhere, but it fell flat.
LOL Everyone had a crush on Peri!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom