Do you think they will ever extend the Monorail?

Woody13

autumndawn1006 said:
Woody-great idea, but your avatar inspired me further.

A cable system so everyone can experience Tinker Bell's flight.

Lines are strung from every hotel room to the parks and you get a grappling hook upon check in.

As a bonus feature it could tie in to Tarzan with some cool sound effects.
Wow, I like your idea too! The "hook" could be a replica of Captain Hook's left hand. Or, how about an air tube system? WDW currently moves their garbage via air tubes at the MK. They could build a bigger system to "whoosh" guests from the parks back to their resorts. :wave:

Chape19714

Woody13 said:
Wow, I like your idea too! The "hook" could be a replica of Captain Hook's left hand. Or, how about an air tube system? WDW currently moves their garbage via air tubes at the MK. They could build a bigger system to "whoosh" guests from the parks back to their resorts. :wave:
Giant Bank Drive-Thru Tubes!! AWESOME!

After looking at Skytran a bit more, I have to say that maybe if it weren't suspended, and the vechiles held at least 10, It could work, The idea has merit. But, I am by no means a Transportation expert.

Woody13

GenerationX said:
That'll never happen. I believe one Wile E. Coyote owns the patent for that mode of transportation, and he works for Warner Brothers. :D
You're right. But we could negotiate with Wile E. for a license to use his invention. I think he could use the money. Acme Products is charging a fortune for their stuff today. :D :wave:

autumndawn1006

Woody13 said:
You're right. But we could negotiate with Wile E. for a license to use his invention. I think he could use the money. Acme Products is charging a fortune for their stuff today. :D :wave:

Tell me about it. They don't accept returns either and Acme's service is far from Disney-like. My supersonic skates I just bought from them forced me to crash into a truck. When I called to complain this guy kept beeping in my ear.

jmvd20

RonAnnArbor said:
WHY WHY WHY do people keep posting this question over and over - and why do people keep responding??? We have at least three threads on the monorail and lack of expansion already - with hundreds of posts -

THis is a tug-of-war thread - DONT PICK UP THE ROPE -- please do a search and read what has already been said. If you have something to add, add it to one of THOSE long threads, not yet another new one.

Seems as if you are always posting statements like this. This is a discussion forum and guess what, people come here to discuss things, not search for what others have said. Since we live in a free country you can ignore whatever you want, just don't expect everyone else to do the same.

I too wish that Disney would break down and extend the monorail to the other parks and major Resorts (and Downtown Disney). In the long run, it would actually end up saving them money, though it would take some time for them to see it. Here's how:

1) The monorail is very efficient and comparitavely cheap to run.
2) The monorail doesn't use gasolene, which make it more environmentally safe.
3) If the monorail goes almost everywhere, it greatly reduces the need for a bus system or Guest automobile traffic.
4) With fewer busses, that means less gas...
5) ...and fewer CMs required for transportation.

The only problem with this proposal is it would cost Disney billions of dollars to extend the monorail, and it could be a decade or more before they start to see that money back.

autumndawn1006

Darn, it looks like our hijack has been hijacked and it is back to the regularly scheduled post. :(

What say you Woody and Generation X? Should we start a new thread on viable forms of fantasy transportation?

haveyoumetmark

JustinTheClaw said:
I too wish that Disney would break down and extend the monorail to the other parks and major Resorts (and Downtown Disney)...

They won't do that because people would park for free at Downtown Disney and take the monorail to the parks to save 10$. :brick: UNLESS they start charging for parking at Downtown Disney, but that wouldn't happen. Club Goers get free parking at city walk, so they'll get it at Pleasure Island too?

bjlc57

costs in florida vs. Vegas..

well the costs for Monorail expansion in Florida is substancally less then in Vegas...

For one.. DISNEY ALREADY OWNS THE LAND.. this isn't the case in Vegas.. and land in Las Vegas is some of the most expensive in the world..

so right there,, this 100 million per mile goes out the window..

How many miles are actually needed.. even if its 20 miles.. thats 20 milliion.. much more affordable now that Eisner is gone.. thats not a ton of money to Disney...remember you are not starting from scratch.. you are adding on.. I just want to know how you get one train from one track to the next? or a switching or divided track.. this is what I want to learn about..

as for "swampy land" ..DISNEY wouldn't have bought this land without knowing how to use it and how a monorail could be built.. they have already built one.. you guys make too much out of this ..

lastly as a TRANSPORTATION EXPENSE, the monorail may be a tax right off for disney.. meaning that all the costs could be deducted instead of paying taxes on the profits..

Don't count this out.. Never.. say never with DISNEY..

nutjb18

How switching works... (according to wikipedia)

Straddle-beam monorails require that the beam structure itself be moved to accomplish switching, which originally was an almost prohibitively ponderous procedure. Now, however, the most common way of achieving this is to place a moving apparatus on top of a sturdy platform capable of bearing the weight of vehicles, beams and its own mechanism. Mulitiple-segmented beams move into place on rollers to smoothly align one beam with another to send the train in its desired direction. Some of these beam turnouts are quite elaborate, capable of switching between several beams or even simulating a railroad double-crossover.
In cases where it must be possible to move a monorail train from one beam to any of a number of other beams, as in storage or repair shops, a traveling beam not unlike a railroad transfer table may be employed. A single beam, at least long enough to carry a single monorail vehicle, is aligned at an entry beam to be mounted by the monorail cars. The entire beam then rolls with the vehicle to align with the desired storage beam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monorail

GaryT977

Chape19714 said:
Giant Bank Drive-Thru Tubes!! AWESOME!

After looking at Skytran a bit more, I have to say that maybe if it weren't suspended, and the vechiles held at least 10, It could work, The idea has merit. But, I am by no means a Transportation expert.

They tried that in Futurama, and still ended up with traffic jams. :drevil:

Mr.EPCOT

Chape19714 said:
Here's a simple question with no easy solution except BUSSES!!! Disney's resorts are SO spread out, Monorails would have to stop up to 20 times after a theme park just to get everyone home. The cost of montorail trains and stations is NOT included in the 1mil per mile stat. Also, Monorails do NOT even begin to fit with the theming in many Disney resorts or Theme parks. When Walt Disney built the Monorail at Disneyland, he put it in Tomorrowland, and it was an Attraction, not method of transportation, like it is now, thanks to the Disneyland Hotel/Dowtown Disney station.

It would definately not fit with Animal Kingdom, and definately not at MGM, not to mention I wouldn't want a futuristic monorail running through Fort Wilderness!

First things first, I find this statement totally and utterly ridiculous. My opinion is that theming isn't a problem, especially because they wouldn't fit with the theming at Fort Wilderness, Disney/MGM Studios, etc., any less than they would at a small Pacific-Asian village or turn of the 20th Century America (Victorian or small-town). And just as a friendly reminder, Mr. Bus Driver, that your boxy behemoths are a much uglier eye-sore against these beautiful locales than our sleek trains could ever be. It seems to me, in fact, that the design of the Downtown Disney station for the Mark Vs (and soon, Mark VIIs) at Disneyland would look right at home at Animal Kingdom.

The cost for the stations would be spread around according to who is getting a station. The Magic Kingdom "owns" its station (as well as TTC), the Polynesian "owns", so whatever station was built, it would come out of that locations' budget, e.g. the money for the Disney/MGM Studios station would come out of their budget.

You also have to realize that one giant loop would not be built (if anything, it'd just be between the four Parks and Downtown Disney), but a series of smaller loops. The most imminent possibility for expansion wouldn't be anywhere near all-inclusive, just the other two Parks, and maybe a few Resorts on the way. So that whole twenty stop loop thing is just silly.

What is most amusing to me about this post is that it is apparently posted by a bus driver. I hear more and more from Guests every day that they just simply drive their own cars than ride those God-awful accident-causing buses. (I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have almost been run off the road, or run over completely, by those death machines.) I will concede, however, that the buses would make a good back-up in the event of catastrophic Monorail and Watercraft failure.

What this bus fan also neglected to mention is that fact that in 2000/2001, there was a solid expansion plan for transportation via a combination of Monorail and light rail. This isn't fantasy, they actually had a map of this system backstage. The only thing that prevented this from going through was the dramatic decline of attendance after September 11th. According to the Imagineers that visit us every once in a while, there are still completed designs in place, our Company just has to sign the check. This is further evidenced for some of you Disney Vacation Club members, if you read your contract carefully, it informs you (as is legally required) that there is Monorail easement running through your property. It also warms my heart that our WDW President, Al Weiss, said that buses are a temporary solution to WDW's transportation needs.)

Woody13 said:
When thunderstorms threaten, the monorail, boats, parking lot shuttles, etc. shut down (i.e. suspend operations until the threat passes). The buses continue to run. The bus system is the only serious transportation system at WDW.

This is completely wrong. As far as lightening is concerned, we don't shut down unless the beamway is struck and power is lost, which is rare and easily fixed by just restoring power, or, even more rarely, a TRAIN ITSELF is struck by lightening, which I don't believe has even ever happened during my entire tenure at Monorails. We also shut down for hurricanes, which really is a moot point, because the parks are shut down, too, and no one will wanting to go anywhere, anyways. :wave:

GaryT977 said:
No, it would require the construction of a new monorail shop, for one thing. I just don't ever see this happening.

Supposedly, I don't know if this is anywhere near being true or not, but there might a building at DAK already built that would become a new Monorail Shop. But that is just what I have heard word-of-mouth.

A couple of people have commented on Guests paying for the Monorail, I don't know about park admission, I wouldn't think that would contribute to the price of your tickets, just because if you buy a one-day ticket and just go to Disney/MGM Studios, you shouldn't be paying for transportation you're not using. I could be wrong, though. I do know that you are paying for Monorail service with your room reservations at the Polynesian, Grand Floridian, and Contemporary. That is why they are more expensive than the Resorts that are just as nice such as AK Lodge or Yacht & Beach Club.

My suggestion to everyone would be that if you wanted to see Monorail expansion of any kind, write to those in charge. If you want to see it here at WDW or even out at Disneyland, write letters and e-mails to our upper management. If you want it in your own home town, write to your Senators, Representatives, and other assorted politicians. If, somehow, you get a kick out of riding around on those buses and want to see more, write about that, too. Our Company takes into account that for every person that writes a letter, there are at least another 100 people or so that have the same opinion that aren't writing to the Company. If you write in and say you would be more likely to take a vacation to WDW if there were more Monorails, buses, jet packs, catapults, pogo sticks, whatever, the Company will consider that as another 100 vacations they can sell. All because of the one letter YOU sent in.

Sorry, I didn't mean for this to turn into a novel, thanks for sticking with me.

Chape19714

First things first, I find this statement totally and utterly ridiculous. My opinion is that theming isn't a problem, especially because they wouldn't fit with the theming at Fort Wilderness, Disney/MGM Studios, etc., any less than they would at a small Pacific-Asian village or turn of the 20th Century America (Victorian or small-town). And just as a friendly reminder, Mr. Bus Driver, that your boxy behemoths are a much uglier eye-sore against these beautiful locales than our sleek trains could ever be. It seems to me, in fact, that the design of the Downtown Disney station for the Mark Vs (and soon, Mark VIIs) at Disneyland would look right at home at Animal Kingdom.

The cost for the stations would be spread around according to who is getting a station. The Magic Kingdom "owns" its station (as well as TTC), the Polynesian "owns", so whatever station was built, it would come out of that locations' budget, e.g. the money for the Disney/MGM Studios station would come out of their budget.

You also have to realize that one giant loop would not be built (if anything, it'd just be between the four Parks and Downtown Disney), but a series of smaller loops. The most imminent possibility for expansion wouldn't be anywhere near all-inclusive, just the other two Parks, and maybe a few Resorts on the way. So that whole twenty stop loop thing is just silly.

What is most amusing to me about this post is that it is apparently posted by a bus driver. I hear more and more from Guests every day that they just simply drive their own cars than ride those God-awful accident-causing buses. (I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have almost been run off the road, or run over completely, by those death machines.) I will concede, however, that the buses would make a good back-up in the event of catastrophic Monorail and Watercraft failure.

What this bus fan also neglected to mention is that fact that in 2000/2001, there was a solid expansion plan for transportation via a combination of Monorail and light rail. This isn't fantasy, they actually had a map of this system backstage. The only thing that prevented this from going through was the dramatic decline of attendance after September 11th. According to the Imagineers that visit us every once in a while, there are still completed designs in place, our Company just has to sign the check. This is further evidenced for some of you Disney Vacation Club members, if you read your contract carefully, it informs you (as is legally required) that there is Monorail easement running through your property. It also warms my heart that our WDW President, Al Weiss, said that buses are a temporary solution to WDW's transportation needs.)

You have some very good points...and I know that Disney has a major transportation plan in the works...but I don't believe that it will be the monorail.

The Rainforest Cafe Jungle Theamed Station was built out of nesesity...The Monorail was there 1st, originally serving as the Disneyland Hotel Stop, which it now services Dowtown and Disnyland Hotel.

Why would I want Animal Kingdom, Downtown Disney, and MGM using thier own budget for a monorial track? It seems ridiculus, the money could be much better spent on new attractions and shows.

As far as the Vacation Club goes, yes I am aware of that waiver that has to be signed, but it is my personal belief that they are just covering themselves for anything.

Now as far as busses not fitting, Busses will always be at the Disney Parks, it is unpreventable. Tour Busses, School Busses, and huge RV's are always going to be parked at the front gate, whether it fits with theme or not. But it's my personal opinion that a bus fits much better with Hollywood than a monorail would.

This is all just my personal opinion, and I have no objection to you politely objecting :confused: , wow used "objecting" too many times! That's what forums are for, to discuss different aspects of the story. To be honest, I hope I am wrong and that the monorails are expanded, it's just I don't see it happening. I would love nothing more than a quick monorail ride to anywhere on property.

I too sometimes prefer to drive to the parks when a car is available to me, it can save lots of time if you know how to get around property :D. When I prefer the bus is when I'm at a Disney Resort and know that I'll be in the parks from earliest opening to the latest closing, after which I am in no mood to drive. And besides, I'm a social person, I like sparking conversations with fellow bus riders! However I won't go through the extreme of using busses as park hopping transportation if I am a day visitor, because that's an unnessacary transfer back to my original park.

Al Wiess is doing a great job and hopefully all of our questions will be answered soon.

Sincerely,
Randy "chape19714"

ps. I am not a bus driver. (I do drive my family's RV, but it stays at Ft. Wilderness while at WDW, so that doesn't count.)

Chape19714

jedimaster1227 said:
WDI could create a real transporter system that could be themed to X-S Tech with Skippy flying with you.
Why don't they duplicate all those transporters in vmk? :lol: better yet...just take them out of stitch...it's not like anybody cares what happens to him anyways...jk.

jedimaster1227

Chape19714 said:
Why don't they duplicate all those transporters in vmk? :lol: better yet...just take them out of stitch...it's not like anybody cares what happens to him anyways...jk.

I tried VMK during the beta trials and I didn't find a point to it. I didn't really catch the transporters considering that I didn't get very far into the game.

On the subject of Stitch, you can count me as one of those people that doesn't care.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom