Do you think masks will be required at WDW when the state of Florida is in phase 3?

Katelynbird

Colleges are going to be a very interesting thing to watch, since at the larger universities you have a considerable number of foreign students, not sure how some of them will even be able to travel to the US given travel bans to some countries still exist and the some have already been extended.

I do understand the problem you'll have with performance classes I had one daughter with classes this term that were performance based and when the schools all shut down and went online in March the performance classes became a complete joke. If they go online they would hopefully stop offering performance driven classes until they can actually be on campus.
Yeah, I might just have to push some of those performance classes into my 2nd semester Sophomore year and Junior year. It will all work out in the end. I feel sorry more for those students nearing graduation. I have a lot more time to go.

MissViv

Interesting tidbit on airplanes

FAA regs require HEPA Filtration and 10-12 air changes per hour - minimum.

That’s a much cleaner breathing environment than most encounter in any other scenario.

I saw that on TV and they also said that the air in most work environments is much worse than an airplane. I would not hesitate at all to fly. They are also sanitizing the planes by spraying after every flight.

I always take anti-bacterial wipes and wipe down everything within my area, seatbelts, arm rests, fold down drink table, and anything I will be touching.

I plan on flying in October for my Disney trip and have no concerns. Driving to WDW is 12 hours for me and I haven't done that in 30 years or so. It is more unsafe to travel by car that far and especially visiting the restrooms along the way.

NutsForFlorida

I saw that on TV and they also said that the air in most work environments is much worse than an airplane. I would not hesitate at all to fly. They are also sanitizing the planes by spraying after every flight.

I always take anti-bacterial wipes and wipe down everything within my area, seatbelts, arm rests, fold down drink table, and anything I will be touching.

I plan on flying in October for my Disney trip and have no concerns. Driving to WDW is 12 hours for me and I haven't done that in 30 years or so. It is more unsafe to travel by car that far and especially visiting the restrooms along the way.

I have a trip planned in October as well. So I am monitoring on what is going on down there. The only issue I have, and it's a very minor issue, is wearing a mask in that heat. But, if that's it, then I have no problem with doing that because I can just use one of those cooling towels that you can put over your face like a scarf to keep me cool. Problem solved!

CaptainAmerica

I have a trip planned in October as well. So I am monitoring on what is going on down there. The only issue I have, and it's a very minor issue, is wearing a mask in that heat. But, if that's it, then I have no problem with doing that because I can just use one of those cooling towels that you can put over your face like a scarf to keep me cool. Problem solved!
Those cooling towels are "powered" by water. You'd essentially be waterboarding yourself.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
...you had me until that part

thomas998

On airplanes it doesn't matter that they filter the air because the reality is when someone coughs, sneezes, breaths or yawns the air leaving their mouth doesn't instantly enter the filter it goes into the cabin of the plane where it will eventually get filtered but it has a very good chance of getting inhaled by another passenger a few times before it makes it to the filtering system. Think about it like a big swimming pool. there are only going to be a limited number of spots that send the water to the filter and in a plane there are only a limited number of points where air is getting sucked back it isn't like there is a tube to head level on the back of every seat sucking in air.

But the bigger issue than the crappy air is that the air is very dry and will dry out your nose very quickly. When your nose gets dry the mucous is no longer effective at catching viruses and crude you breath in so now the inside to be the perfect landing site for viruses. If you are going to fly the best thing you can do is drink lots of water throughout the flight so that your nose will be less likely to get dried out.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
On airplanes it doesn't matter that they filter the air because the reality is when someone coughs, sneezes, breaths or yawns the air leaving their mouth doesn't instantly enter the filter it goes into the cabin of the plane where it will eventually get filtered but it has a very good chance of getting inhaled by another passenger a few times before it makes it to the filtering system. Think about it like a big swimming pool. there are only going to be a limited number of spots that send the water to the filter and in a plane there are only a limited number of points where air is getting sucked back it isn't like there is a tube to head level on the back of every seat sucking in air.

But the bigger issue than the crappy air is that the air is very dry and will dry out your nose very quickly. When your nose gets dry the mucous is no longer effective at catching viruses and crude you breath in so now the inside to be the perfect landing site for viruses. If you are going to fly the best thing you can do is drink lots of water throughout the flight so that your nose will be less likely to get dried out.
I agree with this...airplanes are still a huge transmission danger. Especially the dryness of the air. When was the last time you DIDN’T hear someone coughing on your flight?

I was saying from an engineering standpoint; airplane air scrubbers are better than most other environment. About 3x the effectiveness of what they remove asbestos and mold in.

crawale

Out of country is beyond the control of Disney and will be determined by when the government allows international travel. But given the airlines are now hurting for customers, when international travel opens up I would actually expect to see lots of foreign visitors as the airline prices will probably be lower than they have been in a very long time. Imagine the possibility of someone in the UK getting the plane tickets at half price from usual, would they want to miss that savings?
UK has quarantine for those returning to the country so this may limit travel for those citizens - 2 week vacation, 2 week quarantine on return. UK has harsher rules than we have here.

ppete1975

im curious how pictures will be handled, if you are social distanced can you take your mask off for a family pic? if youre in front of the castle and take a selfie can you take it down for a second.. how about photo pass (not with characters but the ones in locations..like the castle)

stratman50th

I think wearing of masks will be up to Disney, not Florida. We haven't had mandatory use of masks since this all started. I decide on a mask based on where I'm going to be, what's the environment. I'm assuming that Disney will be more cautious than the state for a little longer.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Interesting tidbit on airplanes

FAA regs require HEPA Filtration and 10-12 air changes per hour - minimum.

That’s a much cleaner breathing environment than most encounter in any other scenario.
That said, Dr Fair is pretty sure that despite his own and others' precautions, he caught COVID-19 on a flight back to New Orleans... Listen to his theory -- you'll be amazed!

JimW

Premium Member
With masks being mandated, I am interested in seeing if Disney adjustments it’s policy on masks wearing for MNSSH party.

I think they've already pretty much covered that in the guidelines set forth in the reopening of Disney Springs. I imagine it'll stay in place for the parks, especially since it's not much of a change to the existing rules:
Costume masks are not considered appropriate and are prohibited from being worn, in alignment with our existing rules.

Source: https://www.disneysprings.com/reopening/ under the Limited Contact header, Face Coverings bullets.

sejosu

Do you think that masks will be required when the state of Florida is in phase 3?
Probably, and here is what I know about masks and what to expect if you are a Disney Club member:

Masks do the following: lower type 1 interferon activity which is your protection from COVID-19, increases secretions that amplify viruses and re-activating dormant viruses, increasing CO2 which increases acidosis, decreases oxygen. In addition, sunshine kills COVID-19 in 5 seconds, and there are numerous studies on how vitamin D prevents viruses too. Many doctors and nurses know about this and are not allowed on youtube, facebook or twitter to share this information with the public.

I believe the CEO and the people who run Disney know this. By the way, if you want to sell your Disney time share back to Disney right now, they are not doing any buy backs during COVID-19. So you have to do what they tell you to, whether you want to or not. You have to pay those maintenance fees no matter how downhill they go from here with their rules and regulations. If you are a person who thinks mandatory masks are a good idea, how about mandatory vaccinations to get into Disney next? How about you have to show them proof you were vaccinated to enter?

Disney could have had a waiver for guests to sign upon entry (saying they are not responsible if you become ill), and allow people a choice to wear masks.

oceanbreeze77

With masks being mandated, I am interested in seeing if Disney adjustments it’s policy on masks wearing for MNSSH party.
I'm not optimistic about the parks opening for a while, but I am certainly not optimistic about halloween season going into full swing. It would be an added nightmare to the already nightmare scenario of having to keep people socially distanced and wearing masks. It just that much harder to do at night time.

*Cinderelly*

In the Parks
No
I agree that watching what the numbers do in that time frame is the major key to all of this, but in my honest opinion I feel Phase 4 is more the possibility where masks at parks like WDW and Universal will become more opitional.

monykalyn

That said, Dr Fair is pretty sure that despite his own and others' precautions, he caught COVID-19 on a flight back to New Orleans... Listen to his theory -- you'll be amazed!
Yeah.... world recognized and gets on a full plane- who doesn’t say what he was doing prior to flying in a pandemic-denies going to grocery store after without mask (after sayin he did), no follow up of other passengers OR crew to see if they tested positive? This guys desperate bid for attention is ridiculous. Oh and tested 4 times and negative each time so he dismisses as tests are crap or he “waited too long”. Yeah go do the antibody testing buddy and if that’s negative too then continue to dismiss the test as crap mkay?

NickMaio

Real problem that is going to be face by the country when theme parks start opening up is that when you have a park that caters to a large number of out of state guests, you don't really ever get a good understanding of how many new infections were actually directly caused by the theme park. When a local movie theater opens up if it causes a spike in infections it is pretty easy to see because the overwhelming majority of people that went to the theater lived in the same area and it shows up easily and quickly... Now assume you have 2 or 3 hundred people infected in a day at a Disney park, first problem is that more than half of those infected won't even show any symptoms... then of the ones that do show symptoms they won't likely be showing them for a few days to a week. So if the guest that was infected, got infected when they first arrived for a week long vacation they might show some symptoms before they leave... but then this virus doesn't hit you with the deathbed level symptoms at the start they will initially be much more subtle. So most people infected at Disney will be back home when they really start showing signs of infection. So they go see a doctor in any of a thousand different cities around the country... Will the doctors report that they were infected at Disney? Well they won't even know if it was at Disney or somewhere along the way there in say the airplane or airport... So it becomes difficult to even know if Disney was the place of infection and unlikely that Disney would be dubbed the infection point versus a movie theater where it would be much more likely that you would have enough of a cluster in a single area that the authorities would know that theaters were a problem.

For tracing infections at an amusement park like Disney you are going to be forced to look more at the employee infection rates than the guests to see if you have a problem with opening the park. And even then using employee infections will have problems, if their workers are mostly college age then the odds of them being asymptomatic and not showing the infection goes up... and of course it is going to be much easier to protect CMs than it is guests if for no other reason than the CMs in most cases will be less mobile staying in a specific area like a cashier that doesn't move so can have a plexiglass barrier in front of him/her reducing infection chances.

In the end mass gathering places probably need to be further divided into places that are driven by locals and driven by outsiders and those driven by outsiders should probably not be opened until you have met your opening criteria across the country and not just within the state.
I am not looking forward to September this year....
Things might be really bad........I personally think its too soon to open up, but hey that's just me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom