Do you think if Walt was alive Epcot would of been a city, not a park?

celticssuck

Original Poster
If Walt Disney was still alive when Disneworld was open, do you think Epcot would of been a full working city and not a theme park?

Also what would the city of Epcot be like?

EPCOT Explorer

Ah...It's a very interesting question.

I think that if Walt would have lived for a longer time that there would definetly be a bigger "City" feeling to WDW. Not a huge futuristic complex like he wanted, per say, but a city nonetheless.

Even with this, I am sure a EPCOT Park would have come about in some form.

DisneyLindz

That's interesting to me that you brought it up, because I was thinking about this the other day. I was watching some special on WDW on Travel Channel the other day, and they showed a clip of Walt talking about EPCOT, which was still in development. He called it "Experimental Prototype CITY of Tomorrow"

It made me wonder how it evolved from his concept to what EPCOT eventually came to be. I didn't really come up with an answer! :lol:

I'd love to hear other people's thoughts though!

EPCOT Explorer

That's interesting to me that you brought it up, because I was thinking about this the other day. I was watching some special on WDW on Travel Channel the other day, and they showed a clip of Walt talking about EPCOT, which was still in development. He called it "Experimental Prototype CITY of Tomorrow"

It made me wonder how it evolved from his concept to what EPCOT eventually came to be. I didn't really come up with an answer! :lol:

He frequently switched between the two, depending on ideal, or mood.

Also...When they realized that the City was unrealistic they took the concepts of it-Futurism and International Relations- and made it into a park.

To me, it's Disney's most innovative, daring and essential idea and execution of said idea yet.:eek:

Mr.EPCOT

He certainly had the formidable willpower to make it happen. I believe he would have succeeded.

If you watch the entire EPCOT Film, he actually used both "Community" and "City", but primarily "Community." I think he said "City" maybe once. The term is technically "Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow."

It sounds like Walt's immediate successors thought this was a crazy plan even for him. They built Phase One of the Disney World project (the Disneyland-style theme park and surrounding resort area), and then kind of skirted around the issue of what to do about EPCOT until, of all things, a Playboy article came out highly criticizing Disney for not doing anything about it. From what I understand, that caught a little bit of media attention, and helped to spur Disney to action.

EPCOT Explorer

He certainly had the formidable willpower to make it happen. I believe he would have succeeded.

If you watch the entire EPCOT Film, he actually used both "Community" and "City", but primarily "Community." I think he said "City" maybe once. The term is technically "Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow."

It sounds like Walt's immediate successors thought this was a crazy plan even for him. They built Phase One of the Disney World project (the Disneyland-style theme park and surrounding resort area), and then kind of skirted around the issue of what to do about EPCOT until, of all things, a Playboy article came out highly criticizing Disney for not doing anything about it. From what I understand, that caught a little bit of media attention, and helped to spur Disney to action.
Really!?....Now that's something I never knew. I just thought it was the "next step" so to speak. Matt-enumerate!:D

agent86

He frequently switched between the two, depending on ideal, or mood.

Also...When they realized that the City was unrealistic they took the concepts of it-Futurism and International Relations- and made it into a park.

To me, it's Disney's most innovative, daring and essential idea and execution of said idea yet.:eek:

Ummmm...where in the original concept was there anything about "international relations"? That had nothing to do with the original concept. World Showcase came about because they were looking at ideas for something to do with an expansion of the Disney Shopping Village (later to be known as Downtown Disney) area, and the idea of international pavilions was something they considered. They even built a model of it. They later combine that idea with the "future" aspect of Epcot and that became the Epcot theme park concept. Nothing in Walt's original plans for Epcot had anything whatsoever to do with "international relations".

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Ummmm...where in the original concept was there anything about "international relations"? That had nothing to do with the original concept. World Showcase came about because they were looking at ideas for something to do with an expansion of the Disney Shopping Village (later to be known as Downtown Disney) area, and the idea of international pavilions was something they considered. They even built a model of it. They later combine that idea with the "future" aspect of Epcot and that became the Epcot theme park concept. Nothing in Walt's original plans for Epcot had anything whatsoever to do with "international relations".

Not true. The central area of the EPCOT City project was to include an international-themed Downtown section with pavilions representing different countries. It's even mentioned in the original Florida film discussing the EPCOT City plan.

See these sites for more info:

http://www.waltopia.com
http://www.the-original-epcot.com

EPCOT Explorer

It had everything to do with it! It was supposed to be in international city!:wave:

Not true. The central area of the EPCOT City project was to include an international-themed Downtown section with pavilions representing different countries. It's even mentioned in the original Florida film discussing the EPCOT City plan.

Exactly...Thanks!

Cmdr_Crimson

It would have been interesting to see..But now with everything being built for DVC I wouldn't have been surprised if it would've became a Timeshare Town...:brick:

agent86

It had everything to do with it! It was supposed to be in international city!:wave:

Oh. Well as Emily Litella (Gilda Radner character from SNL) used to say...

"Nevermind!"

Vernonpush

It would have been interesting to see..But now with everything being built for DVC I wouldn't have been surprised if it would've became a Timeshare Town...:brick:

I agree. I'm sure it would have been built as Walt planned, at this point at least half of the homes/apts. would be Timeshare by now.

EPCOT Explorer

I agree. I'm sure it would have been built as Walt planned, at this point at least half of the homes/apts. would be Timeshare by now.

It's an interesting concept.

Technically, EPCOT (the City ) has already been built and is alive and well. It's the entire Disney Property.

While I do think that Walt's vision for EPCOT would have manifested itself in SOME form (Be it the huge city ,or the one building) I still believe that there would have been a EPCOT Center- a Park for all of this to be exhibited.

See why a name change was so important?;)

loxley44

i think it would definitely still be a park but perhaps with a stronger concentration on showing upcoming futuristic technology as it is discovered . I think Walt would want to keep exploring ways to make our world greener and more connected .:wave:

EPCOT Explorer

i think it would definitely still be a park but perhaps with a stronger concentration on showing upcoming futuristic technology as it is discovered . I think Walt would want to keep exploring ways to make our world greener and more connected .:wave:

Huh...You just made me think.:lol:

What would a EPCOT Center (or a Magic Kingdom) be like with Walt personally overseeing it? Would we have all of our classic attractions? Would there still be a "decline" from the park of the 1980's to the 1990's-2000's?

The possibilities are endless...and we will never know.:(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom