Do you think Disney will some day require facial scanning/recognition as part of its entry procedures?

Eamethyst

According to the Walt Disney World website, the system scans a finger and converts the image into a "unique numerical value" that is tied to the ticket when it is used to re-enter or visit another park. The park doesn't store fingerprints and discards the scan "immediately,

awoogala

Well, they have worked on a little something...https://www.commercialintegrator.com/markets/disney-theme-park-video-surveillance-software/

"To put it simply: instead of identifying the full face of a person, the Disney theme park video surveillance software only identifies small rectangular sub-regions (patches) of a person’s face.

This allows for easier identification and tracking in poor lighting and background conditions and different camera angles due to the model recognizing not only the person’s identity, but also the spatial location of the sub-region.

After experimenting with the software, the research team found that the deep spatial pyramid software was more effective than the previously used detection systems. While park-goers may appreciate Disney’s focus on improving security, there will no doubt be backlash over privacy concerns. The New York City Police Department was sued this past May for not releasing documents related to its use of facial recognition technology."

Disneyfanman

Only after it becomes part of society to the point that it won’t turn off a lot of people. Probably someday but it will be awhile (years).

Polydweller

Part of the definition of biometric scanning is fingerprint mapping. Just saying, Disney has your fingerprints.
Flat out no they don’t. They have a numerical number based on the scan and that number is calculated every time you enter a park. If the number matches you are in. The scan itself is immediately deleted. And, the number is only kept for a short duration. So, NO, they don’t have your fingerprints!!

Walt Disney1955

Flat out no they don’t. They have a numerical number based on the scan and that number is calculated every time you enter a park. If the number matches you are in. The scan itself is immediately deleted. And, the number is only kept for a short duration. So, NO, they don’t have your fingerprints!!

Very difficult to believe that, by the way. Why even bother using the fingerprint then? Sorry, people just don't understand how little privacy we have as a society today. We do it to ourselves, so whatever.

Polydweller

Very difficult to believe that, by the way. Why even bother using the fingerprint then? Sorry, people just don't understand how little privacy we have as a society today. We do it to ourselves, so whatever.
Well, believe it. They only use the scan to creat a number, period. The scan is not as unique as a fingerprint by far but unique enough that it’s unlikely two people with the same scan number will use the same ticket. It’s to ensure tickets aren’t being shared that’s all. Probably can’t convince you but instead of thinking fingerprint (because it isn’t that quality) think of it as a finger scan.

And what privacy issue. Only the number is stored, not the image so there is no privacy issue here. Disney would want to avoid that issue and law suit at all costs so they delete the scan immediately to prevent that.

Eamethyst

The data on the scans is kept independent of any other system and will be purged 30 days after the ticket expires or when the computer determines that it is fully used up.

draybook

I'd be happier if they'd upgrade to a belt system at bag check instead of Johnny Rottnfingers digging out all of my kids' stuff out of the diaper bag and then telling us to pack it back up while he strolls off to break. (Yes, that actually happened on our last day last Friday).

Walt Disney1955

Well, believe it. They only use the scan to creat a number, period. The scan is not as unique as a fingerprint by far but unique enough that it’s unlikely two people with the same scan number will use the same ticket. It’s to ensure tickets aren’t being shared that’s all. Probably can’t convince you but instead of thinking fingerprint (because it isn’t that quality) think of it as a finger scan.

And what privacy issue. Only the number is stored, not the image so there is no privacy issue here. Disney would want to avoid that issue and law suit at all costs so they delete the scan immediately to prevent that.

I sincerely hope so.

Jon81uk

I mean they used to take your picture so does that count as facial recognition?

But no I don't think they will go as far as face scanning.
I think Biometric finger scan is all they need and its quick and easy.

Pretty sure they do still take pictures.

Last trip one of our finger scans didn't match so a CM with an iPad came over and could see a CCTV picture of the first time that ticket was used to enter a park, that could then verify it was the same person who used it.

JIMINYCR

Go ahead Disney... Doesnt bother me in the least. I take a pretty good picture if I have to say so myself.

25f171bc9abe538617551b21a1bc62ad.jpg

Smiley/OCD

Disney might not come out and admit it, but I'm sure it's used within the parks on a regular basis. That is one reason why lost children are usually found fairly quickly. To the OP, up here in the northeast, most large shopping malls have cameras that photograph all licence plates as they enter the property. In 2020, with the security cameras, ring on front doors, etc., we will never have the anonymity that we once had as kids or as our parent had...it just a way of life in the post 9/11 world. That's one reason why there is no camera on my PC and no Alexa in our house.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom