Do you think Disney will some day require facial scanning/recognition as part of its entry procedures?

Berret

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Just something that I've been curious about. I know that biometrics are part of park entry procedures, but I wonder if one day Disney will require more than that. Facial scanning is something I've read a lot of people are against, and not just because of the privacy aspect of it. Companies who deal with facial scanning and recognition have been hacked and their scans have been stolen, and Disney would definitely be considered a big target because of the millions of people who go each year. Again, I'm just curious about your thoughts or insights. Thank you.

Edit: If this has already been discussed elsewhere then I apologize.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I mean they used to take your picture so does that count as facial recognition?

But no I don't think they will go as far as face scanning.
I think Biometric finger scan is all they need and its quick and easy.

Minthorne

I mean they used to take your picture so does that count as facial recognition?

But no I don't think they will go as far as face scanning.
I think Biometric finger scan is all they need and its quick and easy.

It already happens at Tokyo for AP

https:///2017/11/facial-recognition-technology-introduced-annual-passholder-entry-tokyo-disneyland/

and Disney already uses it in WDW to track people. I've heard it is used to stop people who have been trespassed from entering.

seascape

Just something that I've been curious about. I know that biometrics are part of park entry procedures, but I wonder if one day Disney will require more than that. Facial scanning is something I've read a lot of people are against, and not just because of the privacy aspect of it. Companies who deal with facial scanning and recognition have been hacked and their scans have been stolen, and Disney would definitely be considered a big target because of the millions of people who go each year. Again, I'm just curious about your thoughts or insights. Thank you.

I hope not. China is doing that at Universal Beijing. As result of that and all the public cameras in the US and around the world they will be able to track anyone who visits Universal Beijing all around the world. I don't think they will but the could, I just don't trust tnem and am upset that Universal does.

Phonedave

I don't see why it would not be implemented. Not tomorrow, not next week, year, or even decade, but eventually. It is simply when the tipping point of cost vs benefit is reached. If Disney could have everybody entering the park just walk through the entrance at a reasonable pace there may be benefits from both guest satisfaction and a reduction in required employees.

For the record, it does not have to store a picture of your face. Just like the current system does not store your fingerprint.

It uses a hash table. Or more accurately a one way hash. When you first scan your fingerprint, the system measures certain key metrics such as how wide it is, what direction whorls go, distance between ridges, etc and it generates a number based on these parameters. Your fingerprint may generate 42. This is what is stored in Disney's system, "Your admission ID = 42", nothing more. There is no way to reverse engineer your actual fingerprint from that number. There may be hundreds of thousands of fingerprints that can be represented by 42. In theory you could find somebody who's fingerprint also generates 42 and let them use your admission ticket. Since the hashing function that Disney uses is not our there for anybody to see, this would be extremely difficult.

Facial recognition would be implemented in a similar manner, with a one way hash. No need to worry about anybody stealing the information.

Last edited:

Eamethyst

It wouldn't surprise me if Disney decided to. Years ago before magic bands and after paper tickets Disney had you scan a finger with all tickets and also there was time that there pictures on tickets/passes.

Lilofan

Since its a fully automated system, Disney will not need as much security staff. Anything to limit payroll, and save on $$.

Eamethyst

Since its a fully automated system, Disney will not need as much security staff. Anything to limit payroll, and save on $$.
That's a good point but Disney will always have security because of weapons, drugs, etc. Facial recognition doesn't scan for those things. I could see Disney not having CM's at the front gate scanning people in. It could be computerized or like how McDonalds has the kiosks in them that you take your order with. Something like that. Ha ha There's almost an app for everything now.

Walt Disney1955

Yes, yes and yes. And no...............I don't agree with it. It doesn't matter what you think though, it is happening and we have only ourselves to blame for it.

20 years ago you walked into a baseball stadium with your paper ticket and that was all. Now? You walk through a metal detector and your bags are checked because who knows, you might blow up a stadium. Disney does the same thing now, except now they have your fingerprints.

I mean come on people, Disney currently owns your fingerprint. They own mine too. People think that eventually they won't make the transition to facial recognition? It is happening.

Like I said, we can blame ourselves. We have become too dependent on technology. We have our thumbs attached to our phones, we can't even go to a theme park or a ball game without having to check our emails and there are some of us on here (not me) who rely on our phones for checking on everything under the sun when we are in a theme park from lines to whatever it is. Carrying cash is less common nowadays and using debit/credit cards is the norm. Everything we do in life is tracked. There are those bozos that think having an Alexa in their home is progress but they listen to EVERYTHING you say.

So to answer your question. Yes, Disney will do this someday, as will banks with ATMs and as will other places. The only way for you to prevent this is to live like it is 2020.............for a long time. Because quite frankly we don't need to rely on technology anymore.

ImperfectPixie

Yes, yes and yes. And no...............I don't agree with it. It doesn't matter what you think though, it is happening and we have only ourselves to blame for it.

20 years ago you walked into a baseball stadium with your paper ticket and that was all. Now? You walk through a metal detector and your bags are checked because who knows, you might blow up a stadium. Disney does the same thing now, except now they have your fingerprints.

I mean come on people, Disney currently owns your fingerprint. They own mine too. People think that eventually they won't make the transition to facial recognition? It is happening.

Like I said, we can blame ourselves. We have become too dependent on technology. We have our thumbs attached to our phones, we can't even go to a theme park or a ball game without having to check our emails and there are some of us on here (not me) who rely on our phones for checking on everything under the sun when we are in a theme park from lines to whatever it is. Carrying cash is less common nowadays and using debit/credit cards is the norm. Everything we do in life is tracked. There are those bozos that think having an Alexa in their home is progress but they listen to EVERYTHING you say.

So to answer your question. Yes, Disney will do this someday, as will banks with ATMs and as will other places. The only way for you to prevent this is to live like it is 2020.............for a long time. Because quite frankly we don't need to rely on technology anymore.
Disney doesn't have anyone's fingerprint. It's a biometric scan...totally different thing.

Jimmy Thick

Disney will require one day for park entry:

Biometric scan of finger
Facial recognition
Social Security Number
Blood sample
Urine sample
Hair sample from hair not washed for 72 hours
Assorted finger and toe nail clippings for DNA analysis.
Cheek swab
Attempt to fit hand in glove from OJ Simpson case
Breath sample after drinking cocktail of water from Pirates of the Caribbean, Dole Whip and imitation popcorn butter flavoring
Full body probe

And to think how we take our Magicbands for granted...

Lilofan

I can see most wanted criminals nationwide and worldwide thinking twice before going through a facial scan at the park entrance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom