Do you know the difference between an Opinion and a Fact?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Original Poster
Ok this goes with my "Why Can't We Get Along" post. I am glad I posted it and most understood the post. A few it went over their heads. It seems most felt I was talking about political issue posts. I was not. I was talking about ALL posts. I am following a post about the change in mask policies in WDW restaurants. It is a straight forward post. WDW stated they are changing policy to reflect wearing of masks while at a sit down restaurant. The OP wanted to know how it was being enforced. So did I. This was a FACT post. No one wanted an opinion of the policy. They wanted a factual utterance from someone who had observed the policy and how it was being enforced. Many, many posters gave their opinion on the policy. Very few said what they had experienced. One poster even thought he should share how he handled wearing a mask the last time he dined out in a different state. There are two types of posts I will address here. FACTUAL and OPION. Can you tell the difference?

If I make a post "What would you think if the castle was painted green for St Pats day", that is asking your opinion. Tell us what you think in great detail!

If I make a post "How much is a footlong hotdog at Casey's Corner" I am looking for one thing. A FACT. I want the price of that dog. I don't care it you love it, hate it, or think "MEAT IS MURDER".

Then someone will tell us about a bad hotdog brand they have purchased, and beg us to never buy from them.

The thing that kills me is a Mod actually asked mid post for people to keep on topic. They could not. They just had to put their opinion into it.

Stay out of political posts to stay safe? How about the Brightline project? People are ready to kill each other there.

IF a post asks for a fact please give it, but if you have no fact to give then maybe you should start a different post with your opinion.

The END of my rant will be: TWO WRONGS DON'T MAKE A RIGHT

Let the Mods police the site, FLAG THE POST. The are VERY capable of taking care of it.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Original Poster
You could take your own advice and flag the posts and let's the moderators decide rather than create a whole thread telling people how to behave on this forum , which is covered by the terms and conditions . 🤷🏻‍♂️
We can certainly agree to disagree on this. But the point was opinion vs fact thread

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
We can certainly agree to disagree on this. But the point was opinion vs fact thread
There isn't anything to disagree with. You are trying to tell posters how to behave on a thread in a forum you don't run or moderate. FACT .

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Original Poster
There isn't anything to disagree with. You are trying to tell posters how to behave on a thread in a forum you don't run or moderate. FACT .
I think you misread my post. I asked people to give opinion where asked for and fact when asked for.

If i ask what is your favorite color , purple is a good answer, but if I ask how much are the hot dogs purple is not a good answer.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Original Poster
but my main point is no one should answer I think they should be 10
because no one cares
they asked for a fact

Goofyernmost

I think (opinion) that no one can have a discussion without a mixture of fact and opinion. Why? Because it is a discussion board. Staying on topic is staying with the the just of the topic. If we are talking about hot dogs and some one asks what we think about purple hot dogs or 10" foot long hot dogs, it can quickly become that discussion, but it is still talking about hot dogs and the varieties therein! If it is important enough and the discussion is vague enough then people have to decide what is opinion and what is fact or do lengthy research on the topic and to me that is not worth the effort for a non-binding, who gives a damn hot dog discussion. It just here for fun and enjoyment. A passion past time, as it were! Since a printed grouping of words is impossible to see the body language of the poster on any given post, even one that in all appearances seems to be fact, can easily be opinion. Just ask if in doubt. What can't be interchangeable would be a thread with the heading about Spaceship Earth veering off and discussing the Haunted Mansion seemingly out of the blue. That's when we will be more likely to be asked, by a moderator, to stay on topic. That is probably fact, but I'm not absolutely sure and am to old and tired to be concerned.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I think (opinion) that no one can have a discussion without a mixture of fact and opinion. Why? Because it is a discussion board. Staying on topic is staying with the the just of the topic. If we are talking about hot dogs and some one asks what we think about purple hot dogs or 10" foot long hot dogs, it can quickly become that discussion, but it is still talking about hot dogs and the varieties therein! If it is important enough and the discussion is vague enough then people have to decide what is opinion and what is fact or do lengthy research on the topic and to me that is not worth the effort for a non-binding, who gives a damn hot dog discussion. It just here for fun and enjoyment. A passion past time, as it were! Since a printed grouping of words is impossible to see the body language of the poster on any given post, even one that in all appearances seems to be fact, can easily be opinion. Just ask if in doubt. What can't be interchangeable would be a thread with the heading about Spaceship Earth veering off and discussing the Haunted Mansion seemingly out of the blue. That's when we will be more likely to be asked, by a moderator, to stay on topic. That is probably fact, but I'm not absolutely sure and am to old and tired to be concerned.
I am shocked that you don't take hotdogs more seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom