Do you hate WDW but still go?

R W B

Original Poster
Was talking with a friend the other day and he was telling me how he hates WDW but still goes for his kids and wife. He said if a hurricane wiped it out this summer he wouldn't care at all. His wife likes to stay at a monorail resort (they're not hurting for money) but he says he doesn't feel it's a good value and he hates roller coasters of any kind.

Not sure if I should feel sad for him since they go yearly or if I should feel like he's a great guy for going for his family lol.

Dartha Stewart

Not sure if I should feel sad for him since they go yearly or if I should feel like he's a great guy for going for his family lol.
It just means he's a good father who strives to make his family happy. Kudos to him for this. There are plenty of things parents do for their children which are probably torturous for them. I'm sure my father & mother had better weekend ideas than to sit in a Showbiz Pizza and listen to Rock-a-Fire Explosion sing for 2+ hours. But when I was little, that's what they did many times.

Would I go to Disney if I hated the place? For me personally, of course not. But if I was in this man's shoes & it was all for my family, I'd do it (or far less entertaining errands) in a heartbeat if it makes them happy. Their happiness would be my reward.

mousehockey37

I'm sure there's plenty of people that get taken along that don't want to go. I'm sure there's thrill seeking junkies that get taken to WDW when they'd rather be over at Universal. There's dads that have to stand in long lines for princesses when they'd rather be golfing, etc... The dad referenced by the OP is a good dad... that or he knows the wife will have a good lawyer and will make him not so well off for money :eek:. Seriously though, I'm sure there are parents that have vivid nightmares of a talking snowman and the last thing they want is to be in a place where it exists, but they do it for their kids.

This doesn't just apply to Disney either. Anywhere you go, there's bound to be someone who got told to shut up, sit in the car and don't ask questions...
Funniest_Memes_just-get-in-the-car-alice_3226.jpeg

R W B

Original Poster
Now does he hate it, or does he just not love it. There's a difference between not enjoying and not caring either way.
I think it's more of a hate thing that he tolerates and accepts for his family. He's said its just too much work to be a vacation. He's more of a chill at the beach and relax type of guy. He said he doesn't even enjoy golfing on vacation because he doesn't want to wake up that early if it's not for his work or kids.

Mrs. Piglet

Hate is definitely such a strong word. Certainly there are choices the the WDW Executives make that I disagree with like getting rid of Off Kilter or the total change of Norway, but that doesn't mean I hate the place as a whole and it would never stop me for going.

mousehockey37

Is it wrong to think something is missing in a person that can't get at least a bit of enjoyment out of a Disney park?

There are many people that hate the beach. There are people out there that probably love Universal and think Disney is an evil empire and to that end, they won't watch ABC, ESPN, etc...

To answer your question though, it's not wrong to think something is missing, but obviously everyone is different. If you weren't raised with Disney in your life, you probably don't see any worth to spending the thousands upon thousands of dollars to go. The best example I can think of is anyone who lives outside the racing community. The biggest question is why do you pay to go watch cars go around in a circle? Well.... this thread is the racing debate, only putting Disney in the place of the word racing.

acishere

Making a family member go yearly is a bit much if they hate it. I'd try and put a few years in between visits just to make it better for them.

My dad hates Disney and he just stopped going on the trips with us after a couple visits. Sometimes it is better to just let the hater skip the trip because their mood can just put a damper on the whole experience.

Mrs. Piglet

My boyfriend I wouldn't say he hates Disney because he tolerates me being a fanatic about it all the time. He has never been to the parks before, but I really want to take him for his first time pretty soon. I would never expect him to go on a vacation to WDW every year though.

StarWarsGirl

I think it's more of a hate thing that he tolerates and accepts for his family. He's said its just too much work to be a vacation. He's more of a chill at the beach and relax type of guy. He said he doesn't even enjoy golfing on vacation because he doesn't want to wake up that early if it's not for his work or kids.
Maybe this is something you can suggest to him: perhaps they would be better off staying at the Yacht/Beach Club. If he is the kind of guy who likes a vacation where he can just sit around, Yacht/Beach has the perfect pool area for doing just that. They could divide their vacation into days where they spend most of the day in the parks and days where they sleep later and hang out by the pool and then go into the parks later in the day, or maybe not at all for a couple of days. He might also prefer staying at a resort that's closer to the rollercoaster-free Epcot instead of MK. If they wanted to, they could even split their stay between a monorail resort and Yacht/Beach. No reason that they can't compromise so that everyone has a good time.

pajammies

As much as I hate to admit that my husband hates Disney, he does, he hates it! :( It does happen, there are people that have no interest in it.
The hurricane comment from the Op, would be his exact thoughts! He only went for the kids and has no interest in going back. My oldest daughter and I go by ourselves now.
However, I can't get my husband to just relax at the hotel because he is one of those people that can't sit still. He always needs to be doing something.
As a matter of fact he was at a Fat Bike race here in Wisconsin, riding in the snow this morning. Yuk, I hate snow, I said go, I'm not going with to freeze my butt off. We're very different from each other, lol.
And he wouldn't be caught dead in a pair of Mickey ears. :hilarious:

betty rose

My boyfriend I wouldn't say he hates Disney because he tolerates me being a fanatic about it all the time. He has never been to the parks before, but I really want to take him for his first time pretty soon. I would never expect him to go on a vacation to WDW every year though.
I hope he enjoys it with you, so you can go together and both have fun.

OliveMcFly

There are many people that hate the beach. There are people out there that probably love Universal and think Disney is an evil empire and to that end, they won't watch ABC, ESPN, etc...

To answer your question though, it's not wrong to think something is missing, but obviously everyone is different. If you weren't raised with Disney in your life, you probably don't see any worth to spending the thousands upon thousands of dollars to go. The best example I can think of is anyone who lives outside the racing community. The biggest question is why do you pay to go watch cars go around in a circle? Well.... this thread is the racing debate, only putting Disney in the place of the word racing.
Makes sense. There are people that are dedicated to spending the summer at out local amusement park when I could really do without. To each their own:D

DisneyFans4Life

Disney, like anything else, is not going to be for everyone. My wife and I are both fanatics, but her parents don't understand why we go so much since it's the "same thing every time."

Good for the dad to go for his family; once a year is not that bad if it makes your family happy.

mousehockey37

Makes sense. There are people that are dedicated to spending the summer at out local amusement park when I could really do without. To each their own:D

I'm one of those people that for the last 11 years have lived in tourist traps. 5 years by a heavily traveled beach destination and 6 years at another hot spot inland. Let me say, when I lived by the beach, I can count on 1 hand how many times I went to the beach as a swimmer (surf fishing is a different story). Where I'm at currently, I have been to the big tourist stuff 0 times in 6 years. I'll go to things around it, but I have no use for the big destination itself.

DfromATX

I have a coworker like that. His wife loves Disney and they and their children went a few times over the years. He complained every time when he got back, then last summer they went on a cruise. He wasn't sure he was going to like that either, but it turned out that they all loved it and now that's what they do. He said his kids (3 girls under 13) loved cruising more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom