Do you guys get defensive when you discuss about Disney?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
It saddens me at times when I consider all of the young talent that the Red Sox have had, when seen in light of their Major League failures. Grr...

Well, hope springs eternal every February. I mean, just look, we have Mike Napoli and Shane Victorino on the team now. o_O

rsoxguy

Well, hope springs eternal every February. I mean, just look, we have Mike Napoli and Shane Victorino on the team now. o_O
But wait, haven't you read the PR spin on how these guys will change the clubhouse atmosphere? I mean, they're fairly mediocre acquisitions, and the need is pitching, but at least they'll all be happy after each loss, right?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
But wait, haven't you read the PR spin on how these guys will change the clubhouse atmosphere? I mean, they're fairly mediocre acquisitions, and the need is pitching, but at least they'll all be happy after each loss, right?

Thank God I'm not in earshot of the Boston sports radio. Because if our major SP acquisition is a return of a "healthy" John Lackey, the fans will go ballistic.....

Britt

Not at all!! I actually feel a little out of place on the board to be honest. I'm excited about an EVENTUAL trip, but I'm not in any hurry to get back to WDW. I really don't know much of anything about the parks, other then I love DAK and MK. I don't know Walt Disneys history, reasoning behind the parks or any of the other things I see get posted on here.

Someone made a post yesterday about Eddie Sotto and I'd NEVER heard of him and thought he was just a member of the board....rofl. Had to google him.

I just love being here where the people are nice, are all having fun talking about their past and future vacations and understand MY love for being there. Because while I'm certainly not obsessed, I do have love for WDW.

I really think my last trip tainted a lot of how I felt about the place and I will make a lot of changes for my next trip (I.e. leave the FIL home)

Uncle Lupe

Next time just get offensive, it'll help your rep.

bloodsport.jpg

rsoxguy

Thank God I'm not in earshot of the Boston sports radio. Because if our major SP acquisition is a return of a "healthy" John Lackey, the fans will go ballistic.....

We are stuck with Lackey and his awful attitude, but I hope that Cherrington can do better, and soon.
There is a term in Spanish that can be used to describe certain people, "moco seco". It translates "dry booger" in English. It is the equivalent of calling someone a leech in English; you just can't get rid of them. John Lackey is the dry booger on the Red Sox Nation finger tip.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
We are stuck with Lackey and his awful attitude, but I hope that Cherrington can do better, and soon.
There is a term in Spanish that can be used to describe certain people, "moco seco". It translates "dry booger" in English. It is the equivalent of calling someone a leech in English; you just can't get rid of them. John Lackey is the dry booger on the Red Sox Nation finger tip.

I'm actually willing to give him a mild benefit of the doubt. Between his injury, and the fact he was dealing with health issues of a family member back in 2011, I think the Boston media coming down so hard on him and his contract all created a perfect storm of criticism. I'll see how he does this season before I throw his contract on the burn pile with Edgar Renteria's....

awoogala

yes. I try to keep it to a minimum, though, because I start to talk and their eyes glaze over, and I realize I have overdone it, and that my rabid fantalk might actually scare them away from disney..lol So I have learned to start with, "I can talk about this all day, so stop me when I get long-winded", or I ask them what specifically, they want to know about disney, or whatever. People hate discussing their vacation mistakes after they went and spent thousands, so I try hard not to do the "you didn't do this? and this? "(so hard when they say they couldn't get fastpasses, or the food was all burgers, etxc) . and if they ask me for general advice, I say..
1.First time, stay onsite, take the buses. (after you get a feel for disney, it's easier to do offsite, etc)
2.try to make dining plans as soon as you can, especially if you want a special show or chaacter meal.
3.Try to research fastpasses.
I find more than 3 things overwhelms them.
Then I point them to dis and a few other boards and shut up, unless they ask.
Its the ones who vehemently hate disney world without ever having gone that kill me. Then I get super defensive. Judging without ever having seen it.I had a woman the other day spewing hate for disney and how commercial it is, etc. "We enjoy REAL vacations, at the beach, or the woods" Then told me she got season passes to six flags.:eek:

rsoxguy

I'm actually willing to give him a mild benefit of the doubt. Between his injury, and the fact he was dealing with health issues of a family member back in 2011, I think the Boston media coming down so hard on him and his contract all created a perfect storm of criticism. I'll see how he does this season before I throw his contract on the burn pile with Edgar Renteria's....
As you said, "hope springs eternal."

zurgandfriend

Two things that you should know about me: I was born in 1963, and I did not have to look this up.
Felix Mantilla. You're not dealing with an amateur here.

Let's just say that when I was born Truman was president and that at my first Red sox game I saw Ted Williams in left. Players have come and gone but I'll always remember Felix Mantilla, the only other Felix I had ever heard of was a cat.

bubbles1812

I noticed a bad habit occurring... I get defensive when talking to people that don't know anything about Disney who think it's just one small theme park. I told someone that Disney World alone has over 50,000 cast members and the reply was "you can fit that many people into Disney World???" I was just like :eek: Do you know how big Disney World is? Do you know that it has 4 theme parks and two water parks? Do you know Disney World is roughly twice the size of Manhattan? DO YOU? :mad:

I think I'm getting a bit obsessive and I don't even consider myself a crazy Disney fan. Are these the early symptoms? Will it get worse? :eek:

Sorry to say but if you really went off on someone because they don't know the size of the parks, but I'd say you took it too far. Throwing out random facts isn't exactly going to make anyone a fan and might actually turn people off. I don't get defensive. If someone asks why I like Disney, I'll give my reasons and let that be that. Generally, it leads to more questions from them, and provides an opportunity to reasonably talk about Disney, Universal, ect.

JennyM

YES! Or like people calling all of Disney World the Magic Kingdom. Some people have no idea there is more than one park! Or I get defensive on how often we go there - people just don't get it!

PUSH

I don't get defensive, but I do enjoy a good Disney conversation even if the person doesn't know anything about it. I get so into it that I forget everything else and focus just on Disney.

rufio

YES! Or like people calling all of Disney World the Magic Kingdom. Some people have no idea there is more than one park! Or I get defensive on how often we go there - people just don't get it!

This is so true! Every time someone asks me where I'm getting married and I say Disney World, they immediately say, "Oh! You're getting married in the castle?!" When I explain that no, it's out of my budget to get married in the Magic Kingdom, they look at me like I have a third eye. No one realizes there's more to it than MK.

scoobygirl39541

I get defensive when people call it "just for kids" and make false assumptions without ever going! :mad: example: "I can't afford a $5000 trip over the weekend for 2 people at a kids park" :confused:

luv

No, I don't expect everyone on the planet to be a Disney fan, lol. I'm sure each of them knows things I don't know.

I do not expect to be laughed at or insulted for not knowing very much about sports, bird watching, stamp collecting, etc. And I would not laugh at or insult someone who doesn't share my hobbies and interests.

It's kind of self-centered and stupid to expect the entire world to have a knowledge of something just because it interests you.

People who say, "It's for kids" to let you know they're too mature for Disney (and you are childish) generally don't know what the hell they're talking about. I immediately lose respect for them because they're rude, so I just dismiss their opinion and drop the subject. It isn't just with Disney. I don't want to hang with people who are rude and insulting IRL. I will leave them to their passive-aggressive name-calling and let them be miserable with others.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom