Do you get the feeling universal is one step ahead of Disney

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
And again with the "exciting" term. :rolleyes:
Some things are actually meant be beautiful, thoughtful, and calming.
I work in Brooklyn (for over 30 years), and commute through Manhattan.
There's excitement there, but not much beauty.
I don't go to Disney Springs for excitement.
Don't go to AK for excitement.
If that's what your after, you're looking in the wrong place.
:confused::confused::confused: never said anything about exciting.

disney4life2008

And again with the "exciting" term. :rolleyes:
Some things are actually meant be beautiful, thoughtful, and calming.
I work in Brooklyn (for over 30 years), and commute through Manhattan.
There's excitement there, but not much beauty.
I don't go to Disney Springs for excitement.
Don't go to AK for excitement.
If that's what your after, you're looking in the wrong place.

LOL I lived in Washington Heights. That is a nice comparison. Manhatten is exciting if you are a tourist or moving there but after a few days, it becomes old fast. However, NYC has the best food, shopping, entertainment, period.

I cannot argue about going to AK for excitement as the park is meant to be more calm.

matt clark

Also you cannot underestimate the interactive capabilities of TAPUTAPU.
Now.. im not sure if the magic band has interactive stops like below in pandora etc. like they do at volcano bay...
I believe the TAPUTAPU will play into the interactive features in Nintendo Land eventually too. The potter wands with the chips was just the beginning.

universals-volcano-bay-taputapu-wearable.jpg

Scrungo

They could be going in that direction. I don't know much about Universal's management, but it seems as if their Orlando parks aren't having their decisions made by people in California that never come to Florida. That's my biggest problem with how decisions are made with WDW, too much favoring of Disneyland and giving the short end of the stick to World when World is the biggest profiteer.

Goofyernmost

Are you crazy? You are debating the safari? Its about as real as you can get outside of the desert in Botswana.
Really? OK, if that is what you think an actual safari is like, whatever makes you happy. And Main Street USA is almost the same as an early 20th century town in the good old USA. Paved streets and all. It is a good enactment of a safari, but, it is hardly a safari. It is a way to drive people around an animal compound so you can see live animals. A zoo on wheels, so to speak.

No Name

I mean, if we zone in purely on Potter, then yes, it appears they're a step ahead. Pandora is the reaction, and certain design choices are clearlay inspired by WWoHP.

However, looking at other areas, and just the grand scheme of things, Disney has been ahead for years and continues to be ahead. Parades, shows, projection shows, fireworks, meet and greets, family rides, not overusing screens, etc. You may not agree with all of those, but you must recognize the fact that Disney is still ahead in many, I'd say most, integral areas.

I think the biggest change is that Universal has improved their perception and put themselves on the map.

Eisner was determined to keep Disney on top, but Iger let Universal outshine them during his long nap.

imperius

Own APs to both parks and like both a lot, but would argue that Universal has some of the best meet and greets with Raptor encounter and Transformers. Better than anything I've done at Disney, but I haven't done them all there.

mergatroid

Universal are doing brilliantly and have certainly improved over the years. However size prohibits them from ever creating a 'holiday destination' offering the variety that Disney does. But pound for pound, they're certainly holding their own and long may it continue.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
My comment on Main Street USA was pure sarcasm. It is nothing like the early 1900's even if you ignore the store contents. Sorry if I didn't word that correctly.

My comment was also sarcasm, I even marked it with :hilarious:. I was also not aiming that at you directly, sorry if it came across like I did. Just poking a little fun at Main St being so busy all the time.

21stamps

They are absolutely one step ahead with the older kids. My daughter, now mid teens, prefers US over WDW. My son, has shifted to neutral. I guess I am technically neutral too as I will never visit Orlando again and not visit both parks.

OK, fine, fine, I like WDW a smidge more. =P

I think they always were. Not ahead though, just.. different. I liked Disney in my teens, but I preferred Universal. This was almost 2 decades ago..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom