Do you find that staying off site

figmentmom

We've stayed both on and off-site. Staying on-site is more magical, but off-site is easier on the wallet. I think it all comes down to what you're most comfortable with financially. Staying off-site sure beats not going to Disney at all!:wave:

figment1985

saves you money? And do you feel like you miss out on any of the magic of Disney by being offsite?

Any recs for a decent offsite hotel? Stayed at the Best Western Lake Buena Vista and was really pleased with it.

thx! :wave:

Here's the thing, if you are going with just a significant other, then I would opt to stay at a disney resort the whole time. It can be much more fun and romantic. Depending on the time of year you go, you wont be saving a lot of money if you stay at a value resort, plus you'll get the extra magic hours. (though some offsite hotels offer the EMH's)

If you have kids, really need to save every few dollars- then stay at an offsite. It def wont affect the kids time at Disney World. When I was a kid, my family ALWAYS stayed offsite and it was no big deal. The only amazing experience was staying at the contemporary once.....but that was only because the monorail went through it. :animwink:

joelleharbert

We have stayed both on and off-site and actually I prefer off-site more. I liked having the freedom of eating somewhere other than at WDW (we had a condo, so we could also make our own meals, too). I also liked getting a "break" from the craziness. I don't feel we missed out on the magic at all. Once you hop on that monorail and see the castle, it's magical no matter where you're staying. Just my opinion, though.:shrug:

My favorite off-site is the Embassy Suites LBV but my last stay was 2001.I have 3 home resorts with DVC (VWL,BCV and SSR) so my off-site stays are limited.I have tryed most of the Downtown resorts with alot of disappointment in the Grosvenor and the Palace hotel and resort.The royal plaza the kids liked so we are trying it again in a pool room that sleep six.I like to stay in more then one place and with the water parks and Downtown Disney it helps add more days onto the trip.

I also got to the other park(universal) and I only stay at the Hard Rock.Every other year I add Universal to the trip which is 10 nights so Im six nights at a DVC resort and 4 nights Hard Rock.My downtown Disney stays are 7n Disney 3n DTD hotels.

Staying at a Deluxe disney resort is my favorite and off-site is on the other side of the rainbow.Staying off-site is cheaper and sometimes better accomodations but for me not getting in a car or taking a long time to get back is not for me when most trips I can see my resort from the park.It's alot more magical when your staying in Disney.
tiggerguy

ilovepluto23

It saves you money, but in return you miss out on some Disney magic. It's up to you on which one you opt for. Personally, my family and I would rather spend the extra $$ staying on property. We've stayed off-site a few times, and it just isn't the same.

guymills1980

I would really like to stay in a Disney onsite hotel but i'm from the UK and it costs alot to get to Orlando so I cant afford it!!! Maybe one day!!!

cloudboy

Then I would suggest only spending one or two nights there. I am assuming that you are considering a long vacation? I would never be able to justify spending more than a week on site. But if you are booking a couple of weeks, try spending either your first or last couple of nights on site, just for the experience. Then save money the rest of the trip.

doop

While I would really love to stay onsite again, I have to respect that fact that we have 6 people in our family and that staying offsite truly does save us money. There's only so much my parents are willing to spend on a Disney vacation. Heck, I'm just happy that I get to go to the parks, I don't like spending too much time in the room anyway.

DisneyBride94

I absolutely HATE staying offsite... Yes, it saves some money...but NO it is not magical...and we seem to take a lot longer getting moving in the morning... we are just not as motivated to jump up and get moving... there's no magic... no spark... and having to deal with the mundane world outide Disney World as we fight ordinary traffic on the way to the parks is just not enjoyable...

Even if you stay at a property really close by...the shuttle buses don't run as frequently and there just is no magic... I guess if I had no other choice I'd stay off property... but I do not see it worth the cost-savings to miss out on immersing yourself in the magic with others that appreciate that magical experience...

Remember the old addage (adage?) "You get what you pay for."

At Disney you may be paying a bit of a premium on what elsehwere might cost less...but there is a premium to be paid for that magic...

And if you are traveling with small children...I would not even dream of staying off property... We did it once and it is just too much of a hassle.

wdwmomof3

We always book a room off site for the first day in Orlando. We make the drive from Alabama and check in somewhere close to Disney. Then we check in at Disney the next morning. Just having that experience with off site hotels is enough for me, give me the Disney Resorts. I'm not saying that they are bad hotels, we stayed at the Radisson Resort and loved it but I prefer to stay at the Disney Resorts. With five of us, it makes it easier and more fun to be on site. Plus, after our last trip we will always use the Dining plan as long as the offer it and I think that you have to stay on site to get it.

I do think that the homes that you can rent with pools and such are very tempting. They really look nice. :)

I guess it really doesn't matter where you stay, what matters is that you are able to go to Disney World!:D

IROC it

...Just bought into a timeshare off site.

Why?

Because I can still use my time elsewhere, and if I need to go to Orlando (where I'm "deeded") I can.

I've stayed both on and off... more off. Not much difference to the kids at all. In fact I think it helps the adult relax more probably (if you can relax not driving yourself-I know some of us guys have to drive for ourselves to feel safe).

If you want to go and not feel rushed at any time of the day you are going to be in-park... stay on site. You do have a bit of extra time and less commute or transportation time.

The only resorts I would consider staying in again are the monorailed ones though.

AEfx

On-site is great. I feel like I've been there/done that, though.

After years of only staying on-site, I started to get...bored with it. I wanted longer trips, the ability to get myself around, and sometimes it's actually nice to be able to step away from the magic and go to a drugstore, or a real convenience store, or a restaurant where you can eat a sit-down for under $25/person.

I still stay on-site when it suits me, but I guess when I started staying off-site was when Disney went from a vacation destination to a lifestyle choice...as in "how can I maximize my time here". With the freedom and extra cash off-site offers to me, I get many more days in the parks, which is what really matters to me. I don't really find it any less magical - the MP3 player in my car assures that even when I'm in a bit of traffic I can have as much Disney going as I want. :) For me, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages, especially the driving yourself part; I just can't imagine how I used to spend a week or more trapped by busses with limited routes.

AEfx

Mickey&Minnie

There are just the two of us and we actually found that if you hit disney when there is a special on rooms, you can actually save money. It was a pleasant surprise. We didn't actually miss out on the magic but it was just nice for us to be able to never leave Disney. We now enjoy staying onsite.

rbpearce1985

We like staying on site. Transportation is easier, our dog can stay at the kennel. It is more expensive but we dont have any children yet so we can still afford it.

as much as i would like to try stay on site at there price i could never afford it lol so for that reason i do prefur off-site, our family normal rent out a villa 10 min around disney because we get a privert pool, a full size house to relax in, normaly a wallmark close by, most villa's we have rented have a games room, cable tv, free internet and if lucky some do free phone calls back to the uk. Also with the cost of food so cheep at walmark or even dining out it never realy cost us anything for our disney trip

beachclubbasics

Just being at Disney is magicical enough. I already have to spend a lot of $$$$ for airplane tickets for 4 from Japan and sit in a airplane for 18+ hours just to get there. The cost of staying on or off shore isn't a issue, but why stay in a 40 sq ft hotel room:veryconfu when we could stay in a 2500 sq ft house.:)

My favorite offshore rentalshttp://www.villadirect.com/ http://www.floridavillaresorts.com/

I knwo what you mean. I just sent my 18 year old to Tokyo for 2 weeks...$1500 for the plane (coach) was rough...lol. My entire family of five would like to visit Tokyo (and TDL) next year, but I don't know if we're going to be able to afford the plane tickets.

Actually, since I posted this we have actually decided to move to Japan. I would probably stay offsite for a month in Fla in a rental if possible every summer.

Ilovecorbinbleu

Seeing as im going with my mum and dad and my daughter we wil prob stay offsite like we did when they took me years and years ago lol, I also stayed off site when i went 3 years ago and even tho someone else payed me for i think it was cheaper, tho dont quote me he paid for EVERYTHING. Tho i do think staying on International Drive is a tempation when it comes to shopping so it could work out more expensive.

Personally id love to stay on site but being a single mum on benefits staying off site does seem a lot cheaper. Maybe when ive qualified as a midwife and have a job i wil stay on site but with the way the NHS is going i cant see it happening any time soon :(

wdwmomof3

I am about to find out. We are staying off site for the first time for 1/2 of our trip next month. My husband is having a business meeting there so we are staying for free for those nights and then moving to Disney. I had rather stay at Disney and with the specials that they offer, I don't think that you can beat it.

I do think, however, that it would be great to rent a house if more than one family is going together. That would be fun but I have never done that yet. :)

dopetig

There are just the two of us and we actually found that if you hit disney when there is a special on rooms, you can actually save money. It was a pleasant surprise. We didn't actually miss out on the magic but it was just nice for us to be able to never leave Disney. We now enjoy staying onsite.

what kind of specials did you get? and when? i've stayed off property but not for disney. we were in disney then checked out and went to another hotel for 3 or 4 nights to do seaworld and universal. that hotel was about the same price as disney. we stay at the value resorts on site and honestly that's all you need. somewhere clean, safe, shower and sleep. i don't need all the frills of the other resorts. i'm not rich, it's alot of saving to go to disney so i'll stay in value.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom