Do you ever plan a non-park day on your trips?

Lucille

We went to WDW in January 2008. We arrived on a Thursday, late afternoon and after we checked into the hotel...we went to Epcot for the evening. Then we had five full days (Friday-Tuesday) in the parks. Then we went home on Wednesday. We were so tired by the end of the trip. Our muscles and joints ached from all of the walking.

So for our upcoming January trip we added an extra day to use as a possible "rest" day.

Have you ever added a non-park day or a rest day to your trip? What did you do on that day? Did you just sleep and relax? Swim? Go to DTD? Etc?

CAPTAIN HOOK

Depends on the length of our trip. Our last visit was only 9 days over Christmas and New Year so there was so much new things to see / do that every waking minute was in the parks (except for a couple of hours one afternoon we spent at the AKL pool). The trip previous to that was for three weeks - we did two park days and every third day was a non Disney park day (waterparks, SeaWorld or visiting the Malls). We felt so much more relaxed at the end of our trip

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

We arrive on Saturday afternoon and are in the parks an hour later. Every day that we go to the parks we are there at rope drop and our days usually ends after dark. We park hop throughout the week. We always make Wednesday our 'off' day and we always go to Downtown Disney (Marketplace) and so, get to sleep a little longer since they open later. After that we make a Walmart stop for snacks or water to hold us the rest of the week (we go home on Sunday) and then make it an early night and look at some tv before lights out. This little change from the parks, gives us just enough energy to make it through the remaining 3 days of our vacation.

Upvote 0

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
Oh definately, our last trip was for 3 weeks and we took a few days out:

1 day we relaxed at the pool and went to 1900 park fare for dinner followed by watching wishes while relaxing in a lounger at the polynesian beach (heavenly)

1 day we got up about half ten and were at the world showcase around 12 where we had fish and chips for lunch and explored the countries nice and leisurely, it was a lovely hot and peaceful day and we topped it off with dinner at le cellier followed by illuminations, great day :sohappy:

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

Well, we do take a day for non-Disney parks by going to Universal, but we always end up at a Disney park for the night.
Plus, we're going in January so that's not our idea of pool weather so no days off for that!

Upvote 0

jonnyc

We always have a non-parks day around the middle of our 14 day trip (probably wouldn't if we had a shorter amount of time as we have to fit in all the water parks, WDW parks and USF). We have a lie-in, then go shopping to retail outlets, which was fantastic last time we went as it was practically $2 to £1 (those were the days!). Then when we're finished shopping we head back to the hotel for a few hours by the pool. When the evening arrives we go over to Planet Hollywood, then after enjoying our meal we do some DTD shoping.

A very expensive day :lol:.

Upvote 0

Graham9

This year we are doing things a bit different. First three days - parks, last three days - parks. Inbetween - whatever we feel like. That will be at least two days at Seaworld, a day shopping, a few half-days at parks with early/late Magic Hours, maybe a Mickey's Xmas Party, a couple of days just wandering around...

See what we feel like doing basically. No intention to go to US or IoA, been there, done that..

Upvote 0

RobnRachal

We usually plan a 10 day trip and have two non-park days. We are so guilty of wanting to do everything and come home exhausted, so we started the 10 instead of 7 day thing for the very purpose of some relaxation. What we've discovered, since we started doing this, is all the wonderful things there are to do outside of the parks. It's become more enjoyable for all of us. . .busy busy on our park days and a more relaxed pace on our non-park days.

Upvote 0

Lucille

Original Poster
Depends on the length of our trip. Our last visit was only 9 days over Christmas and New Year so there was so much new things to see / do that every waking minute was in the parks (except for a couple of hours one afternoon we spent at the AKL pool). The trip previous to that was for three weeks - we did two park days and every third day was a non Disney park day (waterparks, SeaWorld or visiting the Malls). We felt so much more relaxed at the end of our trip

Oh definately, our last trip was for 3 weeks and we took a few days out:

1 day we relaxed at the pool and went to 1900 park fare for dinner followed by watching wishes while relaxing in a lounger at the polynesian beach (heavenly)

1 day we got up about half ten and were at the world showcase around 12 where we had fish and chips for lunch and explored the countries nice and leisurely, it was a lovely hot and peaceful day and we topped it off with dinner at le cellier followed by illuminations, great day :sohappy:

THREE weeks?!? You guys are crazy! Haha!

Well, we do take a day for non-Disney parks by going to Universal, but we always end up at a Disney park for the night.
Plus, we're going in January so that's not our idea of pool weather so no days off for that!

When we were there in January 08, we saw quite a few people swimming. My husband forgot his suit and we never got around to getting him a new one so we didn't swim. We might this time though. We'll see. January in Florida is quite a bit warmer than where we live. And I'm assuming the pools are heated, right? I think it'll just be bad walking back to the room after swimming.

Upvote 0
AP Holders

We are AP Holders & retired.....We were in Disney for 2 weeks in Oct....We usually go to a park most mornings.....go back & relax & enjoy the pool in the afternoon...then go out to a park @ nite....We find that to be the best way to enjoy & relax ......(We also went to Winter/Sumerland Miniature Golf twice for a change of pace..)..Alot of fun!!!! .....In Feb/March....we're going back for ESPN The Weekend & also we will go to a couple of baseball games @ Wide World of Sports...Atlanta Braves Spring Training is there...Awesome if you enjoy baseball!!!!!!!!!Does anyone know when AP Discount room rates are coming out for Feb/March????......Why are they always so late coming out?????????:shrug:

Upvote 0

Crush Dude!

Haha its amazing to be there for that long :sohappy:
Coming from ireland we pay like $800 - $900 per person for flights so we try to stay as long as possible as really its hard to go more than once per year:(

Upvote 0

Lucille

Original Poster

Haha its amazing to be there for that long :sohappy:
Coming from ireland we pay like $800 - $900 per person for flights so we try to stay as long as possible as really its hard to go more than once per year:(

I can't imagine being at WDW for more than 7-10 days. We don't go more than once a year. Actually, if you look at my signature, we don't go much at all. I did used to go to Disneyland at least once a week...but that's because we lived 10 minutes from the park...haha.

What's the point of going to WDW if you're not in the parks?
You can rest at home.

IMHO
:)

Well, that's why I put "rest" in quotation marks. As it's not really "resting" if you're doing other non-park things. There's definitely a lot more to WDW than the parks, I think. I like the idea of checking out some of the resorts so we might have to at least go to Wilderness Lodge (from photos, I just love it!) And I think the boardwalk area looks cute.

Upvote 0

Crush Dude!

I can't imagine being at WDW for more than 7-10 days. We don't go more than once a year. Actually, if you look at my signature, we don't go much at all. I did used to go to Disneyland at least once a week...but that's because we lived 10 minutes from the park...haha.QUOTE]

It was amazing :sohappy:

I cant imagine any less than 2 weeks :sohappy:

I Love the World :sohappy:

Esp when, as u said there is so much to do before u even set foot in one of the parks :sohappy::sohappy:

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

We stay at the Resort lots of times. Even when my sister and I were young, we liked staying there and renting bikes, boats, and swimming all day. Resort days were always fun.

Now that we are older, we enjoy the days laying out at the quiet pools, and renting boats/bikes.

Although you used to get a "length of stay" boanting pass for 99 dollars for up to 5 people. Now you have to pay 250 for 6 hours worth--RIDICULOUS!!

Upvote 0

worldfanatic

I love spending off days just hanging around the resort.
But I've never stayed off property.

If you don't stay at a Disney or comparable type resort, there's not a huge reason to take those off days.

It's funny how people who stay at the crap hotels outside WDW so often think it's crazy to take a day off from the parks.
Well of course.
If I stayed at a low end off property hotel, I'd be in the parks all the time too. And my vacation wouldn't be nearly as great.

Upvote 0

Lucille

Original Poster
I love spending off days just hanging around the resort.
But I've never stayed off property.

If you don't stay at a Disney or comparable type resort, there's not a huge reason to take those off days.

It's funny how people who stay at the crap hotels outside WDW so often think it's crazy to take a day off from the parks.
Well of course.
If I stayed at a low end off property hotel, I'd be in the parks all the time too. And my vacation wouldn't be nearly as great.

I don't know...I've seen some pretty nice off-site hotels before. Some I'd definitely consider staying at if we ever drove down there or rented a car.

Upvote 0

JCtheparrothead

I am fortunate that I get to stay for 2 weeks or so. We split time between out condo at Bonnett Creek and Disney resorts (DVC member very soon). We find that there definitely needs to be down time and usually take a couple days off. What we found was on days you are going to AKL or DHS you can relax at a water park or by the pool for the morning then head out. After MK or EPCOT (especially BEERCOT) we usually take the next day off to rest the feet and bones.

Upvote 0

maggiegrace1

What's the point of going to WDW if you're not in the parks?
You can rest at home.

IMHO
:)

There is a lot more to do and see then just the parks....it really is not "resting"..we do not stay at the resort and sleep...it is more like taking a break.

Great restaurants and fun things to do...especially when the parks start to get crowded..and I could never wait in line for things that I know I would be able to do if I just went back later on..so we visit the resorts or DTD and especially the Campgrounds...I think everyone needs to visit the Campgrounds ..such a beautiful place...:)

WDW is more than parks in my opinion...:shrug:

Upvote 0

Foolish Mortal

Non park day :veryconfu what is this concept ? never never gonna happen. too much fun to be had. Besides, I'm not a sleeper and I would be bored to death sitting by a pool.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom