do you bring food with you?

hrmom26

hi all

i am in the final stretch to my vacation and am starting the packing process lol

here is my question of the day lol {that would make a cool thread BTW }

do you bring food with you?

if so what and do you put it in carry on or checked luggage?

keep in mind i have two teens not younger kids lol so no formula etc etc

thanks
heather

Raven66

I pack us snacks and breakfast foods as well. In our suitcase I pack a couple boxes of pop tarts and granola bars. For snacks I make trail mix, bring some fruit snacks, peanut butter crackers (which I don't eat) and I put them in my carry on. We don't bring drinks because we are flying. But I measure out powdered ice tea into snack bags and we buy a couple of waters and then just keep refilling them and using the tea. It covers the taste of the water.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

What about water? What containers do you guys put it in? Bottles? Camelbak? nalgene bottles? I'd like to bring water for this trip but I don't want to carry a bunch of bottles.

I put it in my mouth.

Seriously, I don't find the taste of Florida water all that nasty. Sure it's not the best tasting stuff around, but it is not as if it is going to gag you. Much better than puddle water with a iodine tablet in it :)

If you haven't tried the water fountain water, give it a shot. You may be like me an find it just fine. Then you avoid both the cost of buying water and the annoyance of carrying it around.

-dave

Upvote 0

disDUBney

I couldn't drink Florida tap water at all, it doesn't taste nice! We do buy bottles of water in Walmart when we arrive. As we stay in Villa we freeze some bottles of water the night before, bring them to the parks as a large block of ice and as they are de-frosting in the Florida sun you have nice cold water that didn't cost a fortune!

Upvote 0

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
We are DVC members and we drive to WDW. The last trip we had 27 people in our group and we provided food, drinks and snacks in a grand villa so everyone could eat there if they wanted. We even bring large meals that can be heated in the oven, the type you buy at Sam's Club. We also set up a full self sever bar in the room. Most people eat about 2/3 of thier meals in the room and 1/3 in the parks or resorts. Almost everyone eats breakfast in the room.

Upvote 0

Floridavisitor

We have always brought snacks & sandwiches into the park. Avoid insulated lunch boxes as at bag check they will ask for them to be opened up. Best bet is to use clear ziplock bags. We also take plenty of water, which are frozen before hand. They stay cool longer and it saves paying Disney prices for the same product.

Upvote 0

love disney

Being born and raised in Florida, I find it funny how many people complain about the taste of the tap water, yet spend $ on bottled water that often comes from taps at a factory. haha!

Seriously though, I always bring granola bars to eat for breakfast or a late morning snack, and that's pretty much it food-wise. In terms of drinks, I either drink from a water fountain or just go ask for a cup of ice water at any place that serves fountain drinks, ice water is free! The free ice water isn't advertised so I guess not many people know about it, but there is no reason to buy a bottle of water in the parks.

Upvote 0

kbmum

Florida tap water, or at least Orlando-area tap water, smells and tastes like chlorine. I don't even like getting ice in my drinks because that chlorine flavor taints the drinks. We buy bottled water that has a decent taste, pop them in the freezer at bedtime, then take those bottles to the park with us the next day.

Upvote 0

Tinkermommy

Costco delivers to WDW resorts, so we like to order a case or two of water and other various snacks for the kids to have in the parks (when they are waiting in line or getting too cranky to wait for food). We also get food for breakfast in the room before we go for the mornings when we want an early start. It saves a lot of time.

Oh, and did I mention we always bring coffee? Starbucks Via works great in a pinch in your room. Can't stand the Nescafe served in WDW!!!!!!

Upvote 0

stlbobby

What about water? What containers do you guys put it in? Bottles? Camelbak? nalgene bottles? I'd like to bring water for this trip but I don't want to carry a bunch of bottles.

I bring a Camelback with two small pockets. Fill the Camelback with ice and it stays cool all day. Plus the water in resort ice machines is filtered so it is not as nasty as the tap water. You can even ask a CM at a restaurant to fill you with filtered water from the soda machine, sometimes they will other times they will give you cups to dump.

I usually bring granola bars and trailmix, avoid stuff that can melt. I also stash a small first aid pouch--tylenol, moleskin, bandaids. It may sound like a lot, but I keep it contained, and it is only for the long haul days. If I know I'm going back to the room for a nap I don't bring it.

I actually use the same pack and first aid kit for a day hike. A long day at Disney can easily rack up more miles than a ruck march.

Being born and raised in Florida, I find it funny how many people complain about the taste of the tap water, yet spend $ on bottled water that often comes from taps at a factory. haha!

I guarantee they aren't getting it from a Florida tap. Baghdad has better water.

Upvote 0

stlbobby

I couldn't tell you as I've never been to their bottling plant. But to summarily dismiss Florida water as undrinkable is inappropriate and wrong.

The link you provided states that it comes from a rainwater spring not a tap. I have traveled to Florida many times and many parts of the state and the water is not good.

Florida was one of the first places to regularly sell bottled water and is widely considered to have some of the most undrinkable water in the country. This isn't the first time that has been stated in these forums or anywhere.

And it really seems like a completely silly thing to take personally, but if I have offended you I am sorry.

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The link you provided states that it comes from a rainwater spring not a tap. I have traveled to Florida many times and many parts of the state and the water is not good.

Florida was one of the first places to regularly sell bottled water and is widely considered to have some of the most undrinkable water in the country. This isn't the first time that has been stated in these forums or anywhere.

And it really seems like a completely silly thing to take personally, but if I have offended you I am sorry.

nah...it takes a lot to offend me.:wave:

It's just that I've never had a real problem with Florida water. Some areas are better than others, but I think some people just have it in their heads that the water is no good and will go to extreme lengths to avoid something that they have no need to avoid.

Upvote 0

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
When my children were smaller I would pack a few emergency bags of goldfish and snackbars....now nothing....they all know the parks so well that the mandatory hot pretzel from frontierland is favorite fallback. Less is more to carry through the parks! We always buy the dasani...drink it rather in short time so don't have to transport much. Do not care for the taste of the water, but besides that have read several nasty articles about common drinking fountains.....so rather take my chances with bottled thanks. I don't fret over the cost...we tote our own filtered water around the rest of the year....nice to have the convienence.

Upvote 0

love disney

Florida was one of the first places to regularly sell bottled water and is widely considered to have some of the most undrinkable water in the country. This isn't the first time that has been stated in these forums or anywhere

Almost all Florida water comes from the same place, the Florida aquifer. I wasn't aware that Florida was widely considered to have some of the most undrinkable water in the country, that's news to me! I just know that I would much rather drink tap water here than waste my money buying bottled water that to me tastes no different (not to mention all the water bottles that end up in landfills rather than being recycled). I bet most people would not be able to tell the difference in a blind taste test between tap and bottled water. (Oh yeah, and it has been documented that many bottled water companies do in fact use tap water...since Florida's aquifer is connected to so many springs some of them even call it spring water)

In any case, to each his or her own, right? Cheers!

Upvote 0

Phonedave

Almost all Florida water comes from the same place, the Florida aquifer. I wasn't aware that Florida was widely considered to have some of the most undrinkable water in the country, that's news to me! I just know that I would much rather drink tap water here than waste my money buying bottled water that to me tastes no different (not to mention all the water bottles that end up in landfills rather than being recycled). I bet most people would not be able to tell the difference in a blind taste test between tap and bottled water. (Oh yeah, and it has been documented that many bottled water companies do in fact use tap water...since Florida's aquifer is connected to so many springs some of them even call it spring water)

In any case, to each his or her own, right? Cheers!

One big difference is temperature.

When water (or anything for that matter) is cold, it has less of a taste and smell.

I find the tap water in FL just fine, but it does have a "flavor" as does most tap water to some extent. The bottled water is colder than the water fountains (at least when you first buy it) so maybe thats why people seem to see a difference.

-dave

Upvote 0
Only bottled water I buy(when I do)is FIJI,then fill it up when it's emt.Other bottled water tases funny to me.don't know if it's the plastic or not.Try it if you want too,have a Zef.Hills plastic bottle & a FIJI water bottle compare....see if you agree!
Jim

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom