Do We Overexpect From Disney?

silk velvet

Original Poster
I worked Christmas Eve and Christmas so I didn't think too much about the holiday. On Christmas Eve I saw a friend who was off that day. He sounded so sad when he said that somehow it just didn't seem like Christmas Eve to him. Whatever he had been hoping for, he sure wasn't getting.

I know I am getting a little heavy on what is surely supposed to be a lighthearted board, and that is probably a little dangerous on my very first post. Yet I have heard people like the author of "Team Rodent" talk some total trash about Disney. How many here think that, just like with Christmas, we expect a bit too much of Disney and Disney vacations to provide a little too much magic?

I totally agree as well.

It's one thing to have high expectations (and that's understandable and okey-dokey, we all have at least some expectations from things), but it's a totally different thing to have ridiculously high expectations.

Lots of people, especially a lot of the Disney internet fanboys, do expect way too much from Disney these days. It's like they'll NEVER be satisfied or happy with Disney, no matter what they do, no matter how good or bad a particular production, product, etc. turns out to be. It's all very sad.:(

IMO, people like them REALLY need to lighten up and give Disney a break.

trr313

Sometimes I think I might expect a little too much out of my Disney experience each time I go. My reasoning which is not right by any means is okay I'm paying all this money for a good time and I hope well expect to have one. By no means do I mean I expect Cast Members need go out of their way because if they did that all the time it wouldn't be so special when it did happen. On our last trip we had such a wonderful time and I am so happy that we did.

GoofyFan1

I believe that we expect more at WDW because Disney set the bar high and we now expect nothing less. They are technically victims of their own high standards.

wedway71

I believe that we expect more at WDW because Disney set the bar high and we now expect nothing less. They are technically victims of their own high standards.

I agree 100%.Keep in mind it was Walt Disney himself that set the standard for his parks and that standard has been kept in place for a long time.Disney standards werent created by us(the guest)but Disney itself.After treating guests the way Disney has done for so long if a standard slips than its totally blown up.How many times have we gone to the mall or grocery store or movies and seen a chipped piece of paint and not thought twice but God forbid a wall or gate has a scratch or chip in the paint at WDW then its the perception that Disney standards have fallen.

GenerationX

There seem to be two camps of people who overexpect from Disney:

1. First-timers. Maybe the stories of fun, entertainment, and pixie dust lull some of them into complacency. If first-timers don't do a little bit of research before going to WDW, they take the chance of being overwhelmed and exhausted. This, in turn, makes them cranky.

2. The people who put sentimental value above entertainment value. These folks "remember" how perfect WDW was when they were children. Back then, nothing was broken, nothing was out of place, and every attraction was supremely magical. Now that these folks are adults, they notice the tiny imperfections. They are disappointed by replacement attractions. Oddly enough, even when the new attraction would be considered an improvement by the vast majority of guests, these folks staunchly hold onto the belief that the original attraction was somehow better.

There seem to be two camps of people who overexpect from Disney:

1. First-timers. Maybe the stories of fun, entertainment, and pixie dust lull some of them into complacency. If first-timers don't do a little bit of research before going to WDW, they take the chance of being overwhelmed and exhausted. This, in turn, makes them cranky.

2. The people who put sentimental value above entertainment value. These folks "remember" how perfect WDW was when they were children. Back then, nothing was broken, nothing was out of place, and every attraction was supremely magical. Now that these folks are adults, they notice the tiny imperfections. They are disappointed by replacement attractions. Oddly enough, even when the new attraction would be considered an improvement by the vast majority of guests, these folks staunchly hold onto the belief that the original attraction was somehow better.

Very well put, Generation X.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom