Do they need to bring Video Games back into Epcot?

ThatMouse

They need to bring back the state of the art technology, what is shown at conventions, not cheap console games. Communicore originally had "computers" back when not many people even owned a computer yet. Most of the games or demos were unique to EPCOT and ran on some powerful systems. When Innoventions came, they just threw together consoles, which made it look like a WalMart, pretty trashy and really missing the point. I also wish Disney would get someone who knows arcade games and step those up. I used to love going to the 1980's Contemporary game room as a kid, it used to be one of the largest collections of games I've ever seen.

Phonedave

Playing a video game and watching someone else play a game are hardly comparable experiences lol One is fun, the other is pointless.

I happen to be in the video transport industry (if anybody need video transport solutions - let me know :) ) and you would be amazed on how much visibility and traction eSports is getting. I myself don't find it interesting, but the market says otherwise. I was at the Sports Video Group Summit in NYC last month, and at least half the panel discussion were about eSports We are not talking about somebody at home streaming themselves playing Minecraft on YouTube (though that is a thing) We are talking full blown tournaments, with serious prize money that are both OTT stream the event, and having people pay to enter the venue to watch the players play. There are major lead sports teams out there now that have eSports teams attached to them. about the only thing that is taking off and being monitized as quickly as eSports is sports gambling.

-dave

flynnibus

Premium Member
I happen to be in the video transport industry (if anybody need video transport solutions - let me know :) ) and you would be amazed on how much visibility and traction eSports is getting. I myself don't find it interesting, but the market says otherwise. I was at the Sports Video Group Summit in NYC last month, and at least half the panel discussion were about eSports We are not talking about somebody at home streaming themselves playing Minecraft on YouTube (though that is a thing) We are talking full blown tournaments, with serious prize money that are both OTT stream the event, and having people pay to enter the venue to watch the players play. There are major lead sports teams out there now that have eSports teams attached to them. about the only thing that is taking off and being monitized as quickly as eSports is sports gambling.

-dave

Yes, produced sporting productions are not the same thing as watching someone just play a game tho. Watching live football can be entertaining... watching a peewee football game from some other town you know nothing about is not.

thomas998

They could (should) have corrected all of these problems, or replaced / modernized the experiences. Unfortunately they treated Quest with the same lack of maintenance and care as they did the parks from 2005-2012.
Actually I don't think they even got up to the level of the worst maintenance at any of the park rides. I remember we did Disney Quest one last time when the year before it closed and were trying to find some games where two of us could play against each other... Yes there were lots of games that were supposed to be capable of that including multiple games that were connected together... but in every case you couldn't do it because button or controls on at least one of the player's controls were broken. I think you could have had a easier time finding a fully functioning game in an abandoned flea market than you would have had trying to find a fully functioning game at Quest. It was downright sad. Even the VR games were iffy by the end and these were things where a replacement joystick or button would have cost less than 20 dollar and taken someone less than an hour to replace, but Disney wouldn't even make the smallest of investments in Quest. If Quest were afforded the same rights as a child then Disney would have been guilty of gross negligence.

flynnibus

Premium Member
True but the Video Game Arcade itself is an anachronistic extinct product just like Blockbuser Video. At one time they were king but now not only do they have to compete with superior home consoles and TVs but also with games on mobile phones, etc at the parks.

Tell that to these guys..

Vendors pay over 10k for those units because they make serious coin drop. Retro gaming is on the rise right now... tho redemption still rules the roost in terms of full time family entertainment centers.

TwilightZone

Yep! They probably still have the Wreck It Ralph cabinets that they used to have at Disney Quest. Since they were designed by Disney for the series, I doubt they would have auctioned those assets.
I heard some of those cabinets were given to cast members. Not sure how many survived, but it's nice to know some may be out there.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
True but the Video Game Arcade itself is an anachronistic extinct product just like Blockbuser Video. At one time they were king but now not only do they have to compete with superior home consoles and TVs but also with games on mobile phones, etc at the parks.

It's not though, as @KBLovesDisney mentioned, D&B. In addition to that the gaming market is HUGE and that includes classic arcade style games. Look at how incredibly successful Arcade1UP was last year.

Arcade games don't need to compete with home consoles, they need to be fun ways to kill time when it rains, when you're bored, or maybe just because it's noon in the middle of August.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
uh, we already talked about. That's a far cry from the days of a Video Arcade in every shopping mall and street corner along with Chuck E. Cheese, Show Biz Pizza and at least one or two video games in every restaurant.

Give me a list of Video Arcades in your area. I would imagine it's quite small.

Just because you don't go to Arcades anymore, it doesn't mean they no longer exist.

Chuck E Cheese, Dave and Busters, Arcade City, Joysticks, Hukoo's Family Fun, Firkin & Kegler are just a few that are local here and that's just off of the top of my head.

KBLovedDisney

uh, we already talked about. That's a far cry from the days of a Video Arcade in every shopping mall and street corner along with Chuck E. Cheese, Show Biz Pizza and at least one or two video games in every restaurant.

Give me a list of Video Arcades in your area. I would imagine it's quite small.
You really don't like arcades do ya?...

I think they should bring back video games to Epcot. Get back to the interaction that Epcot once held.

KBLovedDisney

Just because you don't go to Arcades anymore, it doesn't mean they no longer exist.

Chuck E Cheese, Dave and Busters, Arcade City, Joysticks, Hukoo's Family Fun, Firkin & Kegler are just a few that are local here and that's just off of the top of my head.
We also have Frankie's! And...now I wanna go.

KBLovedDisney

I will say this though that what Epcot had before was not an arcade, but a free walk-up interactive video game-play when you got into the park. It is what got me into Sega.

FettFan

The most time I have ever spent in Innoventions was at the Sega Arcade, between that and Image Works I couldn't get enough of it. I think a good gaming experience at Epcot could have kept Epcot in and Disney out. I also think the new Super Smash instrumental would be a great addition to the entrance music lol.

Problem is that Sega's display at Innoventions was meant to be a preview of games that were hitting the market in order to build interest.
Nowadays, we have E3 livestreaming on YouTube.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Like where? Arcades have been dead for a long time. The majority of people who still love them are old timers who reminisce and have nostalgia for them.

The arcade is in the biggest resurgence it's had since the early 90s. It's in different forms... the most popular being the 'barcade' format.. where retro gaming is the form of entertainment for bars. Stand-alone arcades are on the return as well.. but most will likely fail again. But there are major chains from Namco and 2-3 other chains building out dedicated arcades now too.

They are nothing like their peak in 81-83... or even the fighter era of the early 90s.. but they are coming back strong right now in the form of retro gaming, and a few FEC hold outs.

There is a reason brands like Arcade1up were able to do such big launches at Walmart this year, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom