• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Do they need to bring Video Games back into Epcot?

KBLovesDisney

uh, we already talked about. That's a far cry from the days of a Video Arcade in every shopping mall and street corner along with Chuck E. Cheese, Show Biz Pizza and at least one or two video games in every restaurant.

Give me a list of Video Arcades in your area. I would imagine it's quite small.
You really don't like arcades do ya?...

I think they should bring back video games to Epcot. Get back to the interaction that Epcot once held.

KBLovesDisney

Advertisement
Just because you don't go to Arcades anymore, it doesn't mean they no longer exist.

Chuck E Cheese, Dave and Busters, Arcade City, Joysticks, Hukoo's Family Fun, Firkin & Kegler are just a few that are local here and that's just off of the top of my head.
We also have Frankie's! And...now I wanna go.

Pooh.sHoneyHuntTDL

Just because you don't go to Arcades anymore, it doesn't mean they no longer exist.

Chuck E Cheese, Dave and Busters, Arcade City, Joysticks, Hukoo's Family Fun, Firkin & Kegler are just a few that are local here and that's just off of the top of my head.
What city is that in? That's actually quite a lot for a town.

Pooh.sHoneyHuntTDL

You really don't like arcades do ya?...

I think they should bring back video games to Epcot. Get back to the interaction that Epcot once held.
Kind of proves my point since Disney got rid of the video games at Epcot and Disney Quest.
The only places you still see them are at the All Star Resorts and the arcade at Beach Club but those place are always empty.

KBLovesDisney

I will say this though that what Epcot had before was not an arcade, but a free walk-up interactive video game-play when you got into the park. It is what got me into Sega.

FettFan

The most time I have ever spent in Innoventions was at the Sega Arcade, between that and Image Works I couldn't get enough of it. I think a good gaming experience at Epcot could have kept Epcot in and Disney out. I also think the new Super Smash instrumental would be a great addition to the entrance music lol.
Problem is that Sega's display at Innoventions was meant to be a preview of games that were hitting the market in order to build interest.
Nowadays, we have E3 livestreaming on YouTube.

flynnibus

Like where? Arcades have been dead for a long time. The majority of people who still love them are old timers who reminisce and have nostalgia for them.
The arcade is in the biggest resurgence it's had since the early 90s. It's in different forms... the most popular being the 'barcade' format.. where retro gaming is the form of entertainment for bars. Stand-alone arcades are on the return as well.. but most will likely fail again. But there are major chains from Namco and 2-3 other chains building out dedicated arcades now too.

They are nothing like their peak in 81-83... or even the fighter era of the early 90s.. but they are coming back strong right now in the form of retro gaming, and a few FEC hold outs.

There is a reason brands like Arcade1up were able to do such big launches at Walmart this year, etc.

flynnibus

The prices for video games and pinballs has been going through the roof in the last 5 years due to the increased interest. Pins have been climbing since 2008, but videos have nearly 3x'd in price in just the last 5 years. Used to be the running average was about 200-250 for a random title.. 300+ for the marquee titles... now a dead, nearly empty ms pac cabinet can fetch 450+ and a decent one 800+. It's actually way out of control right now... even MAME cabinets are selling for over 1k.. which is insane.

It's all fueled by the flood of new buyers in the market right now. Used pin prices have basically doubled.. even for junkers.

Pooh.sHoneyHuntTDL

Those are here in Orlando. There are so many that I didn't list like Arcade City, Player 1, etc.

They're all pretty successful which indicates that there's definitely a market for arcades. :joyfull:
Orlando's a little different though because of the tourist/Disney/Universal magnet. It has pretty much every form of entertainment (NASCAR Racing, Andretti racing , Machine Gun America, and every restaurant/fast food chain (Cheddar's Crown Fried Chicken, Giordano's, Sizzler, Ikinari Steak, etc, etc) from around the world and they can pretty much all survive because of the huge tourist base.

Just for those entertainment and food options alone it would be a great place to live and is probably only rivaled by Vegas. Although if you take gambling out of the equation I believe Orlando has more than Vegas.
But that's not really representative of most of the cities in America.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Orlando's a little different though because of the tourist/Disney/Universal magnet. It has pretty much every form of entertainment (NASCAR Racing, Andretti racing , Machine Gun America, and every restaurant/fast food chain (Cheddar's Crown Fried Chicken, Giordano's, Sizzler, Ikinari Steak, etc, etc) from around the world and they can pretty much all survive because of the huge tourist base.

Just for those entertainment and food options alone it would be a great place to live and is probably only rivaled by Vegas. Although if you take gambling out of the equation I believe Orlando has more than Vegas.
But that's not really representative of most of the cities in America.
Which is precisely why Disney should bring the arcades back to the parks. :joyfull:

There are probably more arcades nearby the city you live than you realize.

Pooh.sHoneyHuntTDL

The prices for video games and pinballs has been going through the roof in the last 5 years due to the increased interest. Pins have been climbing since 2008, but videos have nearly 3x'd in price in just the last 5 years. Used to be the running average was about 200-250 for a random title.. 300+ for the marquee titles... now a dead, nearly empty ms pac cabinet can fetch 450+ and a decent one 800+. It's actually way out of control right now... even MAME cabinets are selling for over 1k.. which is insane.

It's all fueled by the flood of new buyers in the market right now. Used pin prices have basically doubled.. even for junkers.
I think that market is more from the older market though. They have more disposable income and have a nostalgia for pin balls and video games that they can keep in their house. Kind of a home video arcade. Shows like Stranger Things also encourage that nostalgia.

A friend of mine just bought Centipede for her home and already has a pinball machine.

flynnibus

I think that market is more from the older market though. They have more disposable income and have a nostalgia for pin balls and video games that they can keep in their house. Kind of a home video arcade. Shows like Stranger Things also encourage that nostalgia.

A friend of mine just bought Centipede for her home and already has a pinball machine.
I've been active in the hobby for over 25 years. I can tell you with certainty that the explosion in growth right now is actually the under 35 crowd if you can believe it. The 20 something hipster crowd into really into retro (why brands like PBR have made a comeback) and the 30something crowd is buying like mad. The silverhairs that dominated pin collecting in the 90s and earlier 2000s have been replaced by the 40-somethings with money, and the growth is all in the younger crowd.

The barcade and arcade scene is all being driven by the younger crowds who didn't even live the real arcade boom. Older folk don't go out in public to play... they play their own stuff.

Our location games at bars in our area are earning 3x what they used to just 5 years ago... when we couldn't convince anyone to let us put games out. Now, we have multiple locations with multiple games.

The scene is stronger in some areas than other.. usually urban driven (again, the youngsters love the urban rebirth)

Pooh.sHoneyHuntTDL

I've been active in the hobby for over 25 years. I can tell you with certainty that the explosion in growth right now is actually the under 35 crowd if you can believe it. The 20 something hipster crowd into really into retro (why brands like PBR have made a comeback) and the 30something crowd is buying like mad. The silverhairs that dominated pin collecting in the 90s and earlier 2000s have been replaced by the 40-somethings with money, and the growth is all in the younger crowd.

The barcade and arcade scene is all being driven by the younger crowds who didn't even live the real arcade boom. Older folk don't go out in public to play... they play their own stuff.

Our location games at bars in our area are earning 3x what they used to just 5 years ago... when we couldn't convince anyone to let us put games out. Now, we have multiple locations with multiple games.

The scene is stronger in some areas than other.. usually urban driven (again, the youngsters love the urban rebirth)
Interesting. That's good to hear. Really informative post.

Paper straw fan

They could totally have a classic arcade and tie it into the Wreck It Ralph series. Would love that and lots of people are now into classic gaming.
The retro area at DQ with the classics and the pinball machines was always packed. That said, I know maintaining pins can be a pain, especially with kids and tourists banging on them all day

Top Bottom