Do parents really put their older kids in diapers for a trip to Disney world?

Mark_Miller

Original Poster
I'm preparing our family holiday to WDW and visiting several websites for this purpose. On some websites I read the advise to diaper older children, even if they are potty trained. I found this advise on several sites.

One mother writes "I have to agree with the diapers for children 7 or under. The lines are very long, and while you wait, it is a guarantee after waiting a long period of time and just before you get on a ride one of the little ones has to go".

Although I'm not considering to diaper my 5 and 8 y/o sons I'm wondering if parents really do this and if its advisable.

I've never heard of this. It sounds like a really bad idea to me...if a child has just been potty trained, putting him or her back into diapers will probably just confuse them. And if the child is older, in the 6/7 year old range, that will just be scarring. I have memories from when I was 6. I wouldn't want any of them being me wearing and/or actually using a diaper.

The Mom

Premium Member
Some people do very strange things! It's not something I've done or heard of anyone else doing, but then again, who knows? :rolleyes:

darthjohnny

I have never heard of this. If there is another person in your party, you can take your child to the bathroom while the other person holds your spot in line. I don't think this is ever a real problem. That is what my parents did when I was younger. Hope that helps.

david meades

My son is just four and, whilst i didn't put him back into diapers at WDW I did put him in a "dry night" on the plane ride back to England as I thought if we hit turbulance we maybe unable to get up to use the restroom! A 10 hour flight is very long if you can't get up!

AEfx

Yikes. That's just scary.

Then again, there are people that won't let their 12 year olds go to the bathroom alone at WDW and go to the potty with them (no matter what the gender), and people that wheel 8-year olds around in strollers. So I guess not much surprised me, LOL.

I guess I was just brought up rather simply...go before, or hold it. Once you are school-age, you should have control over your bathroom use unless you have a medical problem.

AEfx

Mark_Miller

Original Poster
Unfortunately I can't post links but I found this advise on several (respected) US and UK websites. I was quite shocked. :eek:

I received a private message from someone telling me that he had noticed this @ WDW. I've never been to WDW and I don't know about the changing areas'. I don't think anyone would notice that a child is wearing a diaper or drynite (=goodnite in US).

Laura

Premium Member
If a kid is truly potty trained, they aren't gonna be willing to p e e in a diaper any more than an adult would be willing to p e e in a diaper. I can understand that advice for a child who is just starting to potty train, but a 5-7 year old?

I would suggest taking a change of clothes (including underwear and socks) into the park incase of an accident. I think that would be less embarrassing than putting a potty trained child back into a diaper. Also, make restroom breaks often so the child doesn't have to go while waiting in line.

We have been with a 2 year old potty training child and a 4 year old...never had a problem.

Ringo8n24

I think that is a horrible idea. Out of all the efforts parents put into potty training a child, why would you want to go backwards in the process because you may have to get out of line to take them to potty. I say having those interruptions may be annoying, but I say it is a blessing to not have to change diapers any more. That has got to play a mental trip on a child to say ok for vacation, you wear diapers. Part of being a parent is taking little ones on potty breaks. A suggestion would be to take them to the restroom before you get in a long line even if they say they do not have to go.

Mark_Miller

Original Poster
Yikes. That's just scary.

Then again, there are people that won't let their 12 year olds go to the bathroom alone at WDW and go to the potty with them (no matter what the gender), and people that wheel 8-year olds around in strollers. So I guess not much surprised me, LOL.

Is it true that people put 8 y/o in a stroller @ Disney :confused:
Then I'm afraid that it is thrue that some parents put their children in diapers as well.

This must be so embarrassing for the poor kids

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom