Do Kids Have the Option Not to Eat at Ohana?

Chi84

Premium Member
I think the best thing to do is to go to ‘Ohana, pay the kids’ price, then have the server bring them chicken nuggets, mac and cheese or whatever they offer for the kids. That’s the fairest way to handle it and your kids would have the option to try the ‘Ohana offerings, including the desserts, to see if they like them. From my own experience, Disney tends to be strict about paying at buffets and AYCTE restaurants because there really is no way to monitor who eats what.
As I said earlier, CMs have a lot of discretion but I wouldn’t depend on your kids being admitted without paying. Of course there is always a “unicorn” whose experiences are unique to them and consistently differ from what other people report. If you do ask, it would be interesting to know how they respond.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I think the best thing to do is to go to ‘Ohana, pay the kids’ price, then have the server bring them chicken nuggets, mac and cheese or whatever they offer for the kids. That’s the fairest way to handle it and your kids would have the option to try the ‘Ohana offerings, including the desserts, to see if they like them. From my own experience, Disney tends to be strict about paying at buffets and AYCTE restaurants because there really is no way to monitor who eats what.
As I said earlier, CMs have a lot of discretion but I wouldn’t depend on your kids being admitted without paying. Of course there is always a “unicorn” whose experiences are unique to them and consistently differ from what other people report. If you do ask, it would be interesting to know how they respond.
Fairest. LMAO

Payne0525

Original Poster
I just don't get it. If you go to a restaurant like Ohana or a buffet that charges a set fee to sit down you have to pay that fee. If not go to Kona cafe and pay per item.
What's not to get?? Kona and Ohana are COMPLETELY different! That's like saying "Kings Dominion is cheaper and closer than Disney World--just go to Kings Dominion"! I just wanted to ask the question in this forum to see if others had done it. That's how this forum works. Pretty simple. Thanks anyway, though.

Chi84

Premium Member
Some people have understandably strong reactions about asking for exceptions to Disney's rules and policies because if too many people do it, Disney tends to respond by limiting the CMs' exercise of discretion in those areas. Disney will be very accommodating until something gets to be a problem for them - then they respond by making an experience somewhat less "magical" and everyone suffers.

Dave B

Some people have understandably strong reactions about asking for exceptions to Disney's rules and policies because if too many people do it, Disney tends to respond by limiting the CMs' exercise of discretion in those areas. Disney will be very accommodating until something gets to be a problem for them - then they respond by making an experience somewhat less "magical" and everyone suffers.
Any examples?

Chi84

Premium Member
Any examples?
Specific examples are tough because there are usually multiple reasons for things and the thread gets derailed discussing them. One that comes to mind is the breakfasts and dinners at Be Our Guest. Breakfasts used to be priced based on what you wanted to order, but when groups were coming in and splitting one relatively inexpensive entree, all entrees went to $28. Some people are responding by bypassing the registers and just going into the parks during pre-park openings. As long as enough people are still eating there, Disney can accommodate the few who don't. If too many start doing it, they will likely make another adjustment. According to posts here, there were a lot of people making dinner reservations at BOG just to see the castle, have dessert and meet the beast. Now it's a fixed price meal. The $10 credit card holds were made in response to people who would make multiple reservations in different parks and either cancel at the last minute when they decided where to eat or not cancel at all. Parking at monorail and Epcot resorts has been restricted in response to people who were parking there free and then going into the parks.

On the subject of this thread, I was just trying to explain what seemed to the OP as a heavy-handed response to his question. People are different - it doesn't mean that some are necessarily right and others wrong. When my kids were small, we avoided buffets because, to us, the children's price was what you paid if you brought children there. Others see that price as a suggestion subject to negotiation. There are some people who, given an inch, will take a mile. 'Ohana is a very popular restaurant; many people want to eat there and can't get reservations. That's likely why it is priced the way it is. My two children and their spouses love it, but my husband and I do not. It would be great if the six of us could go there to enjoy the experience with only four of us eating and the other two ordering a glass of wine each. But that's not what Disney has decided. Their restaurant, their rules.

danyoung56

Like if a family goes into the single rider line knowing full well they will beg to be seated together and put the poor worker in a tough spot...

I saw exactly this situation on Test Track, where a father insisted (after waiting in the single rider line) that he ride with his son. The CM was very patient, and just kept saying "One on row 7, one on row 8, or you can wait in the standby line." This doof eventually accepted the separate lines, and then convinced a guy to trade places with him so he could ride with his son. What a twit!!!

Chi84

Premium Member
I see the single rider situation as very different. If you enter the shorter single rider line, you are representing that you intend to ride alone. If that's not your intent, you are just flat-out lying in order to cut in front of others.

OP just asked if something was allowed and planned to ask at the restaurant and abide by their decision - no misrepresentation or cheating was intended. I wouldn't ask for the reasons stated in earlier posts, but I can certainly understand why others would and have no problem with it.

Victor Kelly

I'll give an answe of yes the kids can go and not based upon my experience at Boma in 2010.

We arrived late due to misdirection, i was ticked and not hungry. My ex ate while I sat there fuming. They nilled for her and not me as I did not eat anything because I was man and then sick.

So, based upon my experience they will most likely accommodate you and the kids.

Chi84

Premium Member
I'll give an answe of yes the kids can go and not based upon my experience at Boma in 2010.

We arrived late due to misdirection, i was ticked and not hungry. My ex ate while I sat there fuming. They nilled for her and not me as I did not eat anything because I was man and then sick.

So, based upon my experience they will most likely accommodate you and the kids.
Boma is not a difficult reservation to get. We've done it same day. 'Ohana is another story entirely - it often books at 180 days out. They may be less likely to make exceptions there, especially if the kids aren't sick, sleeping or whatever. You really just never know.

Dave B

Like if a family goes into the single rider line knowing full well they will beg to be seated together and put the poor worker in a tough spot... Situations just like that... Bc you know there are people out there that will do anything to bend the rules and not act like a considerate adult....
:eek:

Dave B

Specific examples are tough because there are usually multiple reasons for things and the thread gets derailed discussing them. One that comes to mind is the breakfasts and dinners at Be Our Guest. Breakfasts used to be priced based on what you wanted to order, but when groups were coming in and splitting one relatively inexpensive entree, all entrees went to $28. Some people are responding by bypassing the registers and just going into the parks during pre-park openings. As long as enough people are still eating there, Disney can accommodate the few who don't. If too many start doing it, they will likely make another adjustment. According to posts here, there were a lot of people making dinner reservations at BOG just to see the castle, have dessert and meet the beast. Now it's a fixed price meal. The $10 credit card holds were made in response to people who would make multiple reservations in different parks and either cancel at the last minute when they decided where to eat or not cancel at all. Parking at monorail and Epcot resorts has been restricted in response to people who were parking there free and then going into the parks.

On the subject of this thread, I was just trying to explain what seemed to the OP as a heavy-handed response to his question. People are different - it doesn't mean that some are necessarily right and others wrong. When my kids were small, we avoided buffets because, to us, the children's price was what you paid if you brought children there. Others see that price as a suggestion subject to negotiation. There are some people who, given an inch, will take a mile. 'Ohana is a very popular restaurant; many people want to eat there and can't get reservations. That's likely why it is priced the way it is. My two children and their spouses love it, but my husband and I do not. It would be great if the six of us could go there to enjoy the experience with only four of us eating and the other two ordering a glass of wine each. But that's not what Disney has decided. Their restaurant, their rules.
I do not think anything you cited is any reason things changed, just my opinion

nickys

Premium Member
Our kids don't eat much and would rather eat a quick service somewhere than eat at Ohana. Will they allow the kids to not eat and not be charged?

In general, as the majority have said, I think you will have to be prepared to pay for them and have them order one of the “off menu” items.

Another option would be a baby sitter, the kids’ Pirate night at BC or the kids’ club at the Swolphin. Give yourself a date night.

Club Cooloholic

What's not to get?? Kona and Ohana are COMPLETELY different! That's like saying "Kings Dominion is cheaper and closer than Disney World--just go to Kings Dominion"! I just wanted to ask the question in this forum to see if others had done it. That's how this forum works. Pretty simple. Thanks anyway, though.
How old are your kids btw?
I think you are giving ohana a bit too much credit, do you think the food is prepared in a better way?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom