Do I need to see the film to appreciate the World of Avatar?

• Thread starter Deleted member 131391
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 131391

Original Poster
Not seen the film, have no clue what it's about. My knowledge goes as far as "there are some blue people in it".

Question is, do I need to see the film to appreciate the World of Avatar?

The Empress Lilly

All you need to know is that evil blue aliens travel around with dragons. Then one day one little dragon is born with a huge third pair of limbs. All the blue aliens and other dragons laugh at him. But a blue shaman reveals to him in his dream that he can fly! (The boat ride's story) He now becomes the coolest dragon of all and you can ride on his back. (FoP's story)

RoysCabin

I have to think it kind of helps. Imagineering clearly went all in on the area, which is cool, but my lack of familiarity with the movie probably had me feeling kind of arms length from my surroundings, you know?

Worldlover71

My mother and I went to the Animal Kingdom after hours event on Monday night. She has never seen Avatar but thought the land was beautiful and FoP is her new favorite ride. We rode three times in a row with no wait! Did I mention she is in her 70's?

DisneyGigi

I have seen Avatar. Didn’t care for it and don’t remember very much about it. With that said, FoP is hands down the best ride I have ever been on - period! The land itself is also beautiful.

Not seen the film, have no clue what it's about. My knowledge goes as far as "there are some blue people in it".

Question is, do I need to see the film to appreciate the World of Avatar?
I 100% believe you can go without seeing the film. I'll add a (long) clip from the IAAPA 2017 legends panel, wherein Joe Rohde; a lead executive at WDI and designer of Pandora and all Animal Kingdom, explains that nothing from the world of Pandora in DAK replicates the movie. Their intention was to create what would seem like a nearby village. I firmly believe this is done so it leaves the guests curious for more, opposed to entirely cloning the film.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
From my experience a few days ago... yes you do.
I have never seen it and did not find Pandora to be at all interesting when I went to the land for the first time on Tuesday.
I also did not in any way enjoy the rides.

unmitigated disaster

You don't. Neither my dad not I have seen the movie and we enjoyed the River Journey and the land just by knowing we were visiting an alien planet. If you're at all interested in plants you can have fun spotting the fake ones in Avatarland.

Po'Rich

I think it would help. Sure, you can enjoy the land without seeing the movie the same way you can enjoy any immersive environment. Flight of Passage will be a fun, Soaring-type ride. Navi River will be a slow, boat ride with a strange-looking animatronic at the end. Similarly, you could go to Magic Kingdom without ever seeing any Disney movie. But, if you see the movie, you'll have a better sense of what the imagineers created with Pandora. You'll have a greater appreciation for the land, and you'll understand what is being discussed when you hear Na'vi, banshees, and toruk.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I think it would help. Sure, you can enjoy the land without seeing the movie the same way you can enjoy any immersive environment. Flight of Passage will be a fun, Soaring-type ride. Navi River will be a slow, boat ride with a strange-looking animatronic at the end. Similarly, you could go to Magic Kingdom without ever seeing any Disney movie. But, if you see the movie, you'll have a better sense of what the imagineers created with Pandora. You'll have a greater appreciation for the land, and you'll understand what is being discussed when you hear Na'vi, banshees, and toruk.
To me the difference is at MK the dark rides tell you the story and on NRJ there was just music with no explanation of what was going on.

WDWRLD

Yes, see the movie. While the land and rides are great there are many little details that will make sense or you will notice more with having seen the movie.

JIMINYCR

I had not seen the movie beforehand. I did know some of the movie plot from friends who were amazed that I hadnt seen it and told me some details. Walking through the land and riding the attractions without actually seeing the movie did not take away from my enjoying any of it. The area is stunning especially seeing it again at night. I did go home and saw the movie afterwards and still didnt feel like I missed out on something or would have enjoyed it more having seen it before.

WDWRLD

Yes, not seeing it will not take away from the experience but if you see it it will enhance your experience as you will know all the details. When we went to Disney as kids there were many Disney movies we had not seen. We still had an amazing time but now after seeing all the movies all the rides make sense. Pooh for example, the Heffalumpos and Woozles part made no sense to me but I though it was cool. When I had a kid I watched the moview with him and now I understand how all that fits into the ride.

Cmdr_Crimson

If you have seen Disney's Pocahontas....Imagine her blue and Gov ratcliffe wanting unobtanium...dah I mean Gold...Mountains of it...

Tom Morrow

I saw the land without seeing the movie and absolutely loved it. I -almost- think you might be better off not seeing the film beforehand, because then it feels like a truly unfamiliar and alien world instead of a recreation of something. They went to great effort to ensure the land fits thematically with DAK and is accessible to people who have not seen the film.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom