Do I need a Rental car?

chrisdadrocks

I am physched will be leaving in six weeks but have a question or two about renting a car. Due to budget constraints I am staying off property this time but my hotel has a shuttle service to the parks, so do I need a car still or should irisk just using the shuttle? Also, if I do rent a car how much is parking at the parks and if i park at magick kingdom do i have o pay tthe same day if i go to Epcot? Which rental companies are the best in your opinions? Ok I think thats is all - lol thanks for any info you have.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If you are staying off property I would highly recommend a rental car. Off property shuttles are notoriously bad. Some will run less than every hour, others might only drop you off at the TTC so you have to then take Disney transportation from there to your final destination. All of that can potentially add up to as much as 2 hours 1 way travel time to a park.

Parking at the parks is now $11 per day. Once you pay at one park you are good for the day at the other 3.

It is a bit late but you might want to check into the feasibility of staying at a Disney resort. When you look at a minimum of $31 per day added to your vacation for transportation it might pan out a litter better to stay on property.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Yeah. I agree with MasterYoda. Take into consideration the per day price of the rental car + the $11 per day to park on property then add it to the price you are paying per night at the off-site accomodation. Does it equal more than staying at a Disney value resort? Also, when staying on-property you get the EMH's which not everyone uses but can be a perk.

Good luck to you. No matter what, you'll be going to Disney and you're sure to have a good time. :D

Upvote 0

KingStefan

I would agree that when staying off-site, a car is definitely advisable. Those shuttle busses from the off-site hotels do NOT run very frequently. Check into when they run and how often. When I stayed off-site a few years ago, there were like two busses to the TTC in the AM and two or three in the PM coming back. No real option to go back the hotel in the middle of the day if necessary unless you take a cab. I happened to have a car that time anyway because I was on a business trip.

Check out http://www.mousesavers.com/rentalcar.html. It will tell you exactly what to do to get a good deal and from whom. An invaluable site for all discount information, not only cars.

And yes, the parking fee is for all day - unlimited in and out - any park.

Good luck, and have a magical time.

Upvote 0

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I agree with everybody else. Get a car. The shuttles run infrequently and unreliably, and often go only to one park, meaning you need to take a bus or two on Disney property to get where you want to go.

One other thing regarding parking -- it only costs at the four main parks. If you are going to DTD, the water parks, Wide World of Sports, or the resorts (except maybe an MK resort) only on a given day, no parking fee required.

Upvote 0

PintoColvig

Re: shuttles for off-property hotels

Check into it to make sure that an additional fee is not being charged to you to cover the cost of shuttles. I don't stay off-property very often but a few of the hotels are notorious for quoting you a nightly price for the room but fail to tell you that they will also add a fee to cover activities and services provided.

I'm with the rest, check into the prices for an on-property room and compare it to the actual prices you will spend off-property. You may find the on-property room is workable. And boy is it worth it, IMO.

Upvote 0

CThaddeus

I've always still found it cheaper to stay off-property and rent a car. I'm a firm believer in the wonders of Priceline, though. Just last night, in fact, I decided to start my trip to Disney World a little earlier than planned, went on Priceline and got a rental car for $11 a day (plus the usual taxes) by doing the Name Your Own Price thing. Additionally, I had previously found a hotel that had the few amenities I was looking for - free continental breakfast, wireless internet, internet in the lobbies - on Expedia for $30.99 a night and they had no problem extending it the extra days I'll be there. Fortunately, I bought an annual pass last time I was there, so parking isn't an issue, but even if it was, it still comes out to be cheaper than anything at Disney World, and I'm not stuck relying on Disney transportation getting me from point A to point B. I can also go to Target or McDonald's or a Disney Discount Store anytime I want to and not have to pay some outrageous cab fee.
I'm personally not a believer in paying more to stay at a Disney hotel. The EMH seems to be the only real perk, and quite honestly it's just not enough for me to justify paying more to stay there. A hotel to me is nothing more than a place to plop my head for 8 hours at night and hold my junk during the day. So, what I'm trying to say is - get the rental car. I think you'll be glad you did. It's more fun to do things on your own time than on someone else's.

Upvote 0

kirst_al UK

Now i have mixed feelings about this..........

Ye a car would be great - could do what you want when you want but....

If you are staying off property I would highly recommend a rental car. Off property shuttles are notoriously bad. Some will run less than every hour, others might only drop you off at the TTC so you have to then take Disney transportation from there to your final destination. All of that can potentially add up to as much as 2 hours 1 way travel time to a park.

Not all off property shuttles are bad........... Yes the majority are more likely to drop you off at lets say Epcot, so you have to make your own way to the various other parks using the Disney transport which yes can add up to about 2 hours from leaving your hotel to getting to your destination. Also depending on how many stops the shuttle has to do before it gets to the hotel you're staying at, there may not be any room left meaning you're no better off having to fork out for a taxi.

We can't drive over in the US (well we can but the tour operators charge some ridiculous amount for 'young drivers' as we are both under 25) and its not visable for us to stay onsite which results in us staying at an offsite hotel that includes shuttles. We dont always rely on them tho - we pick them for the convienience really. If we want to go to Epcot and thats where they drop off, then great we'll take it - but to go to another park we just grab a taxi. Ye i agree that in the long run it would cost the same to stay onsite however to be honest going to Disney is not the only thing we do when we visit Orlando :eek: (sorry guys.....:ROFLOL: !!)

Upvote 0

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I've crunched the numbers before and generally, cost-wise, it's better off-site for what I'm looking for. I can get an 800-1,000 sq. foot, 1-bedroom condo off-site (anytime other than easter, xmas, and mid-June to mid-august) for $300-$500/week. To get something comparable at OKW, let's say, would run around $1,300 plus, I believe. At about $300 for a car plus parking, I'm well-ahead, $$$-wise. Plus, I have a car and therefore more freedom. I prefer to have a car even when staying on-site, because I like to go from hotel to hotel to eat, enjoy entertainment, etc., and that is much easier with a car.

OTOH, if I were just part of a couple planning to stay off-site at a motel along 192 for $60/night, I could justify staying at the All-Stars or Pop instead at $80/night.

Upvote 0

JimboJones123

I've crunched the numbers before and generally, cost-wise, it's better off-site for what I'm looking for. I can get an 800-1,000 sq. foot, 1-bedroom condo off-site (anytime other than easter, xmas, and mid-June to mid-august) for $300-$500/week. To get something comparable at OKW, let's say, would run around $1,300 plus, I believe. At about $300 for a car plus parking, I'm well-ahead, $$$-wise. Plus, I have a car and therefore more freedom. I prefer to have a car even when staying on-site, because I like to go from hotel to hotel to eat, enjoy entertainment, etc., and that is much easier with a car.

OTOH, if I were just part of a couple planning to stay off-site at a motel along 192 for $60/night, I could justify staying at the All-Stars or Pop instead at $80/night.
Yeah, WDW isn't very fond of the Party of 5.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

This is surprisingly what happens to quite a few first time WDW visitors. They will go in with the idea of a room is a room and just go for the lowest price. Even the ones that do a little research and get a hotel that claims "minutes from Disney" and "Free shuttle to the parks" do not always get the whole story. We found out that the hard way more than once.

You are very correct about the condo or rental house. When it comes to the square footage and amenities of a house or a condo for $100-$200 per day or less Disney has nothing on property that can touch those numbers.

Upvote 0

kirst_al UK

This is surprisingly what happens to quite a few first time WDW visitors. They will go in with the idea of a room is a room and just go for the lowest price. Even the ones that do a little research and get a hotel that claims "minutes from Disney" and "Free shuttle to the parks" do not always get the whole story. We found out that the hard way more than once.

But a room is a room when you just need it for the bed, is it not? Whats the point in paying £100s (or $'s sorry guys, habit :) !) when all you need is a comfy, clean bed. I must admit we look for the "minutes from disney" and the "free shuttle to the parks" but only because we have too. Over here in England - apart from the more deluxe and overpriced hotels in championsgate etc - on offer are either the disney resorts or the typical I-Drive hotels 10 mins from Disney.

Upvote 0

stalkingmickey

I just got back from a stay at the Poly. At first I wasn;t going to rent a car, but then I started to think about all the other things I wanted to do like DTD and mini golf. I broke down the week before we left and rented a car from alamo at the car care center. for 9 days I paid a total of 176.00 and I had a toyota corrola. I was very happy I rented the car. It allowed us more time to spend at parks or our hotel before we needed to get places. I do not thin I will ever go to disney and not rent a car.

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

In July after 15 visits to WDW, we finally drove to WDW. We stayed on site and even though the car was there we barley used it. But it came in handy when we were running late for a meal at another resort. Overall, as I have heard on here many times the hotel shuttles are not the best.

Upvote 0

wilary

I've been many times both off and on property and ALWAYS get a car. If you're AP, then parking is free. If you're staying on site, then parking is free. I find it easier to get there on my own than having to wait for an overcrowded bus as a peak time. Plus, you can go some where off property to eat or whatever.

As for companies, I usually go with NATIONAL. With the free emerald club, you can pick whatever car is available. In Orlando, a lot of times that equals minivan should you get lucky. The entertainment.com coupons are usually pretty good for National at MCO.

Have fun!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom