DLR Food: Where to eat and where not to!

rreading

For breakfast, lunch, etc.?

Going to arrive from flight and check in followed by an early dinner with kids and parents. Thought about eating at Naples near Grand Californian where we are staying but we have good italian at home and it sounds like heading into DL for the park atmosphere could be better.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Going to arrive from flight and check in followed by an early dinner with kids and parents. Thought about eating at Naples near Grand Californian where we are staying but we have good italian at home and it sounds like heading into DL for the park atmosphere could be better.

I'd go into the parks and eat. In terms of Carnation vs. Plaza, the former is a table service option and the latter is quick service. Plaza's menu is small, Carnation has more options. I would just look at both menus and see which food options you prefer.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
only 3 times to DL on trips. This trip is number 4 and first time to Plaza Inn. So we will see if the chicken is as good as I am hearing.

I didn't go there until my second trip. That was without my husband (who is a big fried chicken fan), so when I came home I told him about and he said we would maybe have to go there. Fast forward to our next visit together, we were looking for a dinner spot while at the park and I mentioned getting chicken (remember he loves fried chicken), and he said he didn't want to go. I made him go any way, and he loved it. Later he told me he thought it was grilled chicken and that is why he didn't want to go. I don't know where he got grilled chicken out of fried chicken. :facepalm: So now I always tease him about it!

Figments Friend

I thought I would add into the suggestions here the updated buffet currently available at the PCH Grill at the Paradise Pier hotel.
I had a dinner meal there three weeks ago and thought the food was terrific.

Perfectly cooked salmon with herbs ...not overly dry, not too soggy..perfect balance!
Crispy, tasty veggies.
Interesting sides.
Delicious grilled potatoes.
Various meat, chicken, and pasta offerings.
Delictible dessert bar with fruity, sugary, and darn yummy offerings.
One word - YUM.

I believe it was $26 for the buffet, and I felt it was well worth it.
The food was actually a better quality then I was expecting, and I liked the interesting and alternative offerings.

Well worth trying out...especially for groups of friends or family dining.

-

Figments Friend

How come no one has mentioned Tangarou Terrace at the DL hotel?

I will.

Tried this spot for the first time three weeks ago for breakfast, and thought it was okay.
Nothing overly unusual or spectacular for offerings, but the outdoor seating ambiance made up for it.
Dinner in the evening is probably a novel experience within that outdoor setting, with the tiki torches and general atmosphere.
For breakfast though, it was a quiet nook with typical breakfast offerings all served with tropical fruit.
So no matter what you order, you get a fruity start to your day!

I would eat there again to try there other offerings.

-

Nextinline

On our most recent visit my fiance and I couldn't stop ordering the Asian wings and french fries at Trader Sam's. Best fries on property IMO & I love fries. Nothing special but crispy and delicious every time. The wings are awesome too. Perfect balance of flavor.

Also:
Disneyland quick service >> WDW quick service
WDW table service > Disneyland table service- mostly because of Epcot and SO many options

JillC LI

After yesterday's discussion about Plaza Inn's fried chicken, I was inspired to visit and eat it for my dinner during my late Disneyland visit last night. I discovered double mashed potatoes is an option. Score.

View attachment 109369

You're killin' me here as I eat my boring salad for lunch. Sigh.

My favorite QS meal was the soup in a bread bowl at the Pacific Wharf Bakery. DD and I nearly ate the plates.

dweezil78

My new favorite spot is the Carthay Circle lounge. Cool little spot with hardly ever a big crowd during the day (gets busy around dinner w/ people waiting for their tables), great food, and great drinks. Their chicken sandwich is now one of my favorite foods at either park, if you haven't tried it yet you need to! Great alternative to Trader Sam's IMO which gets busy fast, has a pretty limited food menu, and can be a bit of a pain to get to when you're in the midst of enjoying the parks. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Trader Sam's, but sometimes going there can be a bit disruptive to the flow of the day.

Cove Bar at DCA is also another great spot, but the crowds have started to figure it out!

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
For those of us visiting Disneyland for Halloween Time, here are the Halloween menus that will be offered starting this Friday.....

Disneyland Park

Blue Bayou Restaurant
Cajun-Rubbed Pork Chop – bone-in Cajun-rubbed pork chop with sautéed spinach, goat cheese mashed potatoes with a smoked pepper tomato jus

Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue
Sugar Cookie Bake dusted with powdered sugar and a cinnamon-orange mulling spice, topped with vanilla bean ice cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce

Café Orleans
Flat Iron Steak with Peppercorn and Cognac Sauce served with garlic mashed potatoes, butternut squash and green beans
Pumpkin Beignets served with vanilla crème Anglaise

Carnation Café
Mickey’s Frightfully Spicy Chicken Sandwich – fried chicken served with pepper jack cheese, spicy Siracha sauce, coleslaw, breaded and fried jalapenos served on a brioche bun and a side of French fries

French Market Restaurant
Haunted Mansion Cake
Pumpkin Cheesecake
Traditional Shrimp Po’Boy – deep fried popcorn shrimp, lettuce, tomato, vinegar dressing and Cajun remoulade sauce on a toasted potato roll

Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor
Halloween Premium Cone
Halloween Sundae served in Poison Apple Stein

The Golden Horseshoe
Ice Cream Nachos
Halloween sprinkles

Hub Cappuccino Cart
Bat Mickey Cookie
Pumpkin Muffin

Hungry Bear Restaurant
Apple Pie Funnel Cake
Pulled Pork Hot Dog – topped with citrus slaw, fried jalapenos and fresh cilantro

Jolly Holiday Bakery Café
Bat Mickey Cookie
Pumpkin Cheesecake
Pumpkin Muffin
Pumpkin Spice Latte

Market House
Bat Mickey Cookie

Maurice’s Treats
Pumpkin Twist

Mint Julep Bar
Pumpkin Beignets
Raspberry Magnolia Lemonade – lemonade mixed with Sprite, raspberry and elderflower syrup garnished with fresh mint and raspberries

Plaza Inn
Pumpkin Pie

Rancho del Zocalo
Pork Tamale and Cheese Enchilada
Orange Pumpkin Flan

Redd Rockett’s Pizza Port
Supernova Pizza Special – Pastrami with mustard oil, Mozzarella cheese, battered pickle chips topped with Horseradish mustard sauce.

Royal Street Veranda
Banana Fritters with crème Anglaise

Tomorrowland Terrace
Cheeseburger Combo with burger sauce, lettuce, tomato, pickles and grilled onions served with french-fries covered in a ghostly Parmesan-ranch “ooze.”

Village Haus Restaurant
Pleasure Island Fiery Chicken Flatbread – Glazed buffalo chicken with Serrano chilies, diced red peppers, tomato sauce, Mozzarella cheese and chipotle sauce

Disney California Adventure Park

Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta
Anti-Vampire Chicken Pizza with roasted garlic sauce, chicken, smoked Gouda, Mozzarella, roasted red peppers and a drizzle of tomato Harissa sauce
Pumpkin Cheesecake
Bat Mickey Cookie

Boudin Bread Cart
Pumpkin-shaped Bread

Carthay Circle Restaurant
Poison Apple-Tini – Crown Royal Apple, Dekuyper Pucker Sour Apple Schnapps and cranberry juice

Cove Bar
Poison Apple-Tini – Crown Royal Apple, Dekuyper Pucker Sour Apple Schnapps and cranberry juice

Cozy Cone Motel
Pumpkin Twist

Flo’s V8 Café
Pumpkin Pie

Mortimer’s Market
Pumpkin-shaped Bread

Pacific Wharf Beer Truck
Karl Strauss Oktoberfest beer

Pacific Wharf Café
Pumpkin Muffin with Streusel Topping
Bat Mickey Cookie
Pumpkin-shaped Bread
Pumpkin Spice Bread Pudding
Cheddar Cheese Ale

Schmoozies
Caramel Apple Smoothie

Smokejumpers Grill
“Cobweb-Style” Topping – Top any burger with a “cobweb” of Swiss cheese, grilled onions and mushrooms

Disneyland Hotel

Steakhouse 55

The Coffee House
Pumpkin Spice Latte
Caramel Apple Cider
Pumpkin Muffin
Chocolate-Peanut Butter Whoopie Pie
Spiced Bundt Cake

Grand Californian Hotel

Whitewater Snacks
Bat Mickey Cookie
Pumpkin Muffin with Streusel Topping
Spiced Bundt Cake

Paradise Pier Hotel

PCH Grill
Seasonal Halloween Dessert Buffet

Surfside Lounge
Pumpkin Muffin with Strusel Topping
Bat Mickey Cookie
Spiced Bundt Cake

PrincessJenn5795

[QUOTE=" Also:
Disneyland quick service >> WDW quick service
WDW table service > Disneyland table service- mostly because of Epcot and SO many options[/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree with you that DL's quick service is better than WDW. With the exception of Flame Tree in Animal Kingdom (and maybe the new AK options too) and BOG lunch in MK (although it is only sort of quick service), the QS options in WDW are not good and do not have much variety or healthy options. DL has some really good QS options to choose from.

As far table service, I only sort of agree that WDW is better. They do have a lot more options, and some are amazing, but quite a few of them range from just so-so to being pretty bad. I would say that the majority of TS places are really good, with Napa Rose and Carthay Circle being absolutely fantastic, but they do have a lot fewer options to choose from. I would give WDW a slight edge based solely on more variety of higher end options. On the more mid-level TS options, I think DL is better, especially for breakfast options.

Overall, I think that DL beats WDW for food options for me.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
We just made our reservations for: Blue Bayou (Fantasmic! package); Ariel's lunch (so we can see characters) & Carthay Circle (WoC package) for next month - can't wait!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom