DLR attendance policy

Old Mouseketeer

You need a good work environment, but generally people want to work and will be honest. Flexible policies don’t inherently breed abuse. We learned that in 2008 with swine flu when businesses and institutions relaxed sick policies to cries of impending abuse that never materialized. We’ve seen it more recently with COVID too. Giving people flexibility can build trust and reciprocity, people will pitch in because they know they’ll be supported when they need it.
COVID is on the rebound and even after more than a year CMs I know are telling me that many people are still not back in shape. COVID has spread through parades and shows like wildfire. Have you seen MSEP go out with three or four dwarves or missing an entire unit? Lion King has been dark for days at a time.

This new policy presents a hardship for many employees. For some their number of days they can call out has been cut by 2/3s. I know people who are still having trouble working five days in a row.

IMHO, Disney has miscalculated here. I think they are shooting themselves in the foot. YMMV

Californian Elitist

I used to be a supervisor for undergrad students. I established a fairly relaxed work environment, but also very friendly. We had rules and policies, but things were never too strict. Not only did my students come to work and were responsible, but some of them would come on their days off to help tutor students in case we had a bunch that needed help that day, or just simply to hang out. I never once asked them to come in on their days off; they volunteered.

Healthier work environments tend to breed happier employees.

TrojanUSC

The cast was already suffering from bad morale, this will just make it worse. Particularly with part-timers who don't accrue nearly as much sick time but are often required to work 40+ hours/week.

It also will lead to quicker turnover and understaffed areas when people won't call out when genuinely sick, leading to an increase in outbreaks of COVID and other illnesses. As others have said, the previous system was meant to reflect the reality that few people are sick for one day only and/or that people have genuine issues that prevent them from coming to work. Therefore it was lenient in the sense that you could be sick for three days in a row consecutively and only get "one point." So many points in so many days led to a reprimand. However, this police someone who is out for a week due to COVID could theoretically be well on the way to termination.

One also must bear in mind that unlike someone clocking into a Starbucks with their car parked right outside, Disneyland CMs are often force to arrive 45 mins early in order to make it to their work location and then clock in at one central area, which can often have a line of several people waiting to do the same.

TrojanUSC

COVID is on the rebound and even after more than a year CMs I know are telling me that many people are still not back in shape. COVID has spread through parades and shows like wildfire. Have you seen MSEP go out with three or four dwarves or missing an entire unit? Lion King has been dark for days at a time.

This new policy presents a hardship for many employees. For some their number of days they can call out has been cut by 2/3s. I know people who are still having trouble working five days in a row.

IMHO, Disney has miscalculated here. I think they are shooting themselves in the foot. YMMV

Right. This will make such outbreaks worse when people are scared to call in for a second or third day, even though they are still contagious.

Vegas Disney Fan

I used to be a supervisor for undergrad students. I established a fairly relaxed work environment, but also very friendly. We had rules and policies, but things were never too strict. Not only did my students come to work and were responsible, but some of them would come on their days off to help tutor students in case we had a bunch that needed help that day, or just simply to hang out. I never once asked them to come in on their days off; they volunteered.

Healthier work environments tend to breed happier employees.

My first job as a manager (in a restaurant in the early 90s) our GM constantly told our management team our primary job was to keep our employees happy.

Happy employees = happy customers
Happy customers = happy owners (via profits)
Happy owners = happy managers

Such a simple concept but overlooked by many.

Old Mouseketeer

I would think that if someone doesn't want to work on weekends, seeking out a job in the Hospitality Industry that is at its most busiest on weekends isn't the right move.

That's when a part-time worker looks for work at a bank, or a law office, or any sort of white-collar industry that works 8to5 on weekdays only. And closed for Thanksgiving weekend, Christmas week, and July 4th! Wheeeee!

I just went to look at Disneyland jobs. There's a bunch of them open, and I looked at a part-time Parking CM gig. Disneyland is very clear that a new part-time CM will be working weekends, holidays and nights. I don't know how much more clear they could be, or why someone looking for a job at Disneyland would be surprised to learn they are open on weekends.

From Disneyland's hiring website, these bullets are found on every hourly CM job opening they have...
  • Must be flexible and able to work a variety of shifts, including days, nights, weekends, holidays and special events
  • This role is Part Time and requires full availability for any shift, a MINIMUM of three (3) days per week, including nights and holidays.

Then there's also this blurb at the bottom of every job role they've got posted, just to remind folks they are applying at Disneyland and not the Teacher's Credit Union branch in an Irvine office park...

Additional Information:​

SCHEDULE AVAILABILTY
Our Theme Parks and Resort Hotels operate 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and some shifts may start as early as 5:00am while some may end as late as 3:00am, 4:00am or 5:00am. Please note that the principles of seniority are used to schedule all roles.
Well, your holiness, as I noted elsewhere the current contract (including parking) allows part tiers to choose either weekend or weekday availability. Just because you’re blowing smoke doesn’t mean you’ve been elected Pope!

Californian Elitist

My first job as a manager (in a restaurant in the early 90s) our GM constantly told our management team our primary job was to keep our employees happy.

Happy employees = happy customers
Happy customers = happy owners (via profits)
Happy owners = happy managers

Such a simple concept but overlooked by many.
Absolutely. Some people in authority get satisfaction from being cruel to others and being unreasonably strict. That’s how you get high turnover rates.

TrojanUSC

After reading the policy again it sounds like they may be closing a loophole, it reads like it was previously possible to take a partial day of sick time and be excused for your whole shift, so if you had 40 hours of sick time and only took an hour of excused sick time each time you missed your shift you could theoretically have 40 excused days, now that it’s hourly those 40 hours of sick time only excuse 40 hours.

Can any CMs verify if that was the old policy?

Another common scheduling issue is one person abusing flexibility can ruin it for everyone.

The previous policy was that you got a half point if you left early due to illness or were tardy. Calling in sick at the start of a shift netted one point. You could call out three consecutive days and still just get the one point. The thought there is why would you triple penalize someone who is genuinely sick. Plus, would you really want someone coming into work while still contagious to avoid another point?

The points system was that if you got three points in 30 days, 6 in 60 or 9 in 90 you got a reprimand. Three reprimands (of which attendance is only one type of reprimand) within 12 months leads to termination.

It was indeed a very lenient policy, but one that incentivized people to stay home when sick and gave them enough flexibility to be tardy when they had child care issues, etc. This isn't a hospital where another specialized doctor is taking over for the on-duty one. It's a theme park where there are supposed to be more than enough cast members as people calling out or being tardy is "baked in" with the staffing needs.

TrojanUSC

I would think that if someone doesn't want to work on weekends, seeking out a job in the Hospitality Industry that is at its most busiest on weekends isn't the right move.

That's when a part-time worker looks for work at a bank, or a law office, or any sort of white-collar industry that works 8to5 on weekdays only. And closed for Thanksgiving weekend, Christmas week, and July 4th! Wheeeee!

I just went to look at Disneyland jobs. There's a bunch of them open, and I looked at a part-time Parking CM gig. Disneyland is very clear that a new part-time CM will be working weekends, holidays and nights. I don't know how much more clear they could be, or why someone looking for a job at Disneyland would be surprised to learn they are open on weekends.

From Disneyland's hiring website, these bullets are found on every hourly CM job opening they have...
  • Must be flexible and able to work a variety of shifts, including days, nights, weekends, holidays and special events
  • This role is Part Time and requires full availability for any shift, a MINIMUM of three (3) days per week, including nights and holidays.

Then there's also this blurb at the bottom of every job role they've got posted, just to remind folks they are applying at Disneyland and not the Teacher's Credit Union branch in an Irvine office park...

Additional Information:​

SCHEDULE AVAILABILTY
Our Theme Parks and Resort Hotels operate 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and some shifts may start as early as 5:00am while some may end as late as 3:00am, 4:00am or 5:00am. Please note that the principles of seniority are used to schedule all roles.

That language is boilerplate but when they are desperate, such things can often be negotiated directly with the area via casting. For example, a high school student who just wants to work on the weekends can let their recruiter know about their availability and the recruiter can contact the areas directly to see if they would be amenable.

Case in point, my first year working at the parks years ago I was restricted to Friday - Sunday only, despite the boilerplate language. Casting was able to verify with the attractions area I was hired into that they'd be okay scheduling me on just these days.

The language still applies, mostly, as they could easily schedule you any time on those days, including holidays.

DrAlice

If Ky'le From Tustin says he can't work his part-time CM job on weekends, why is he there?
At all of my jobs during college, it was COMMON for part-time employees to list the days that they can and cannot work. It was even discussed during the interview process. To assume that all part-time employees are available 7 days a week is just silly. Now, if that is the expectation upon being hired and Ky'le can't do that, then yes there is a problem. On the other hand, if it was clearly understood upon hiring that Ky'le can't work weekends when they need him and they hired him anyway, that's Disney's fault. For goodness sake, Disney has a "we'll pay for your college" program. They've got to expect that their part-timers are going to have days they can't work.

TP2000

Well, your holiness, as I noted elsewhere the current contract (including parking) allows part tiers to choose either weekend or weekday availability.

Well, so long as an employer establishes up front what the scheduling requirements are, I don't see any problem with that. Whether it's "weekdays only" or "weekends only" or "every 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month" makes no difference so long as the communication is made clear by the employer up front.

But for the job postings for entry-level positions I see on Disneyland's website right now, they generally have all the wording about working weekends, nights, and holidays. Because, you know, it's Disneyland.

I'm not sure how much clearer Disneyland could make it than these statements, but at least they are trying...

Just because you’re blowing smoke doesn’t mean you’ve been elected Pope!

I'm actually Protestant. :cool:

TP2000

At all of my jobs during college, it was COMMON for part-time employees to list the days that they can and cannot work. It was even discussed during the interview process. To assume that all part-time employees are available 7 days a week is just silly. Now, if that is the expectation upon being hired and Ky'le can't do that, then yes there is a problem. On the other hand, if it was clearly understood upon hiring that Ky'le can't work weekends when they need him and they hired him anyway, that's Disney's fault. For goodness sake, Disney has a "we'll pay for your college" program. They've got to expect that their part-timers are going to have days they can't work.

Agree with all of that!

But I have to assume that when they hire the 19 year old kids going to Fullerton Junior College (Go Hornets!) to flip burgers and empty trashcans and load Mr. Toad cars they tell those kids that they have to work weekends.

Looking at Disneyland's own job website, that's exactly what they are saying to potential entry-level applicants. That's not to say they don't also have some part-time weekday shifts available, and maybe go after retired ladies to work in gift shops a few days a week and stuff.

But if an employee seeks out a job in the Hospitality Industry, and the employer tells them the place is open nights and weekends and they'll be scheduled lots of those shifts, then that employee needs to show up for their scheduled shift on a Saturday night.

It sounds like there was a lot of abuse by CM's going on with the former attendance policy, and thus it was changed. Although what it was changed into seems completely rational and sane, so I'm not sure what the old system was like. 🤪

TP2000

The previous policy was that you got a half point if you left early due to illness or were tardy. Calling in sick at the start of a shift netted one point. You could call out three consecutive days and still just get the one point. The thought there is why would you triple penalize someone who is genuinely sick. Plus, would you really want someone coming into work while still contagious to avoid another point?

The points system was that if you got three points in 30 days, 6 in 60 or 9 in 90 you got a reprimand. Three reprimands (of which attendance is only one type of reprimand) within 12 months leads to termination.

So... wait... You could miss up to nine (9) days of work per month before you got a reprimand? Or, put another way, you could miss up to six (6) days of work per month and not get any reprimand?

If you're the average 18 to 24 year old CM working a part time job of 4 days per week, that seems insanely lenient. You could be absent from over one third of your 16 scheduled shifts each month with no reprimand and no consequences???

My God. No wonder Disneyland had to change that into the current policy.
It was indeed a very lenient policy, but one that incentivized people to stay home when sick and gave them enough flexibility to be tardy when they had child care issues, etc.

Just how sick are these CM's that they are bedridden at least one week per month, month after month after month? It sounds more like hospice care than college kids working part-time at an amusement park. 🧐

TrojanUSC

So... wait... You could miss up to nine (9) days of work per month before you got a reprimand? Or, put another way, you could miss up to six (6) days of work per month and not get any reprimand?

If you're the average 18 to 24 year old CM working a part time job of 4 days per week, that seems insanely lenient. You could be absent from over one third of your 16 scheduled shifts each month with no reprimand and no consequences???

My God. No wonder Disneyland had to change that into the current policy.

Just how sick are these CM's that they are bedridden at least one week per month, month after month after month? It sounds more like hospice care than college kids working part-time at an amusement park. 🧐

The whole point is that it gave people flexibility in caring for themselves or kids when sick, allowed people to miss shifts here and there for finals/school, tardiness for a late bus, go to Doctor's/personal appointments, etc. You didn't get paid for all that time missed, of course, but Disneyland only provides the state mandated minimum for paid time off and little more.

The policy has existed at Disneyland and Walt Disney World for 40+ years. It went a long way towards helping morale and ensuring there was flexibility when needed, since you can't really tell your supervisor in an hourly role "hey I'm gonna be late tomorrow because I have a doctor's appointment." Now they're going to have people who miss a day of work because they have COVID showing up on the second day because they don't want a reprimand.

asianway

Original Poster
After reading the policy again it sounds like they may be closing a loophole, it reads like it was previously possible to take a partial day of sick time and be excused for your whole shift, so if you had 40 hours of sick time and only took an hour of excused sick time each time you missed your shift you could theoretically have 40 excused days, now that it’s hourly those 40 hours of sick time only excuse 40 hours.

Another common scheduling issue is one person abusing flexibility can ruin it for everyone.
I wonder how many of those CMs were making their way out of their sick bed to MOG anytime there was a pin release

el_super

This is correct. It was a long standing Disneyland policy to allow CMs to use out partial amounts of time to pay themselves out if they missed a shift. There had been, in the long ago times, requirements for FT and PT CMs to meet a certain number of hours to keep their status, so if a FT CM did not work 40 hours in a week, they could pay themselves out a partial amount to meet the minimum requirements (which I think was 32 hours/week over three or four weeks.... it was weird and complicated. Probably still is).

When the California Sick Time law went into effect in 2016, it made it illegal for a company to "retaliate" against a worker for using their paid sick time. Disneyland amended their sick time policy to comply with the law, meaning any use of sick time resulted in no points. They left the loophole open that CMs could use a partial amount of sick time hours to cover their shifts.

So that loophole had been in place for a couple years before COVID hit.

COVID is on the rebound and even after more than a year CMs I know are telling me that many people are still not back in shape.

For what it's worth, COVID is still being treated separately from other long term illnesses. I believe CMs need only proof of a positive test (and Disney is still providing testing for CMs) to have up to ten days worth of shifts excused.

I still think you are right and that this is a miscalculation and will generally lead to more abuse long term and a WHOLE LOT of abuse in Sept. Word on the street is that the current points will all be reset on Oct 2nd so .... Smoke em if you got em.

lazyboy97o

Lenient and flexible policies are great and easier for everybody - if they're not taken advantage of.

My guess is the combination of staffing shortages and the behavior of some bad apples probably ruined it for everybody.
Disney was already inflexible. Becoming more inflexible because of their own distrust and disfunction seems more like.

Social Darwinism and Pullman paternalism still have a strong influence on labor relations. The unstated view is that managers are the social, intellectual and moral betters of those they oversee. It’s a class system where those in hourly and low skill positions need the firm and guiding hand of their betters lest they wallow in their slovenly desires.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom