DLP Spash/WRE Question

jrriddle

Original Poster
First has anyone heard any new rumours on this?
No?
OK
Two, I was doing some searcing around and found this picture at this great site:
http://webcot.free.fr/articles/frontierland/frontierland5.htm
(I'm sure most people have visited this site, if you haven't please do so, you won't be disapointed)
I saw the picture at the very bottom of the page with an early plan for Splash Mountain (or some sort of flume ride).
Can anyone place where this attraction would have been built.
From what I can determine it would be beside the Chaparral Theater, and replace Critter Corral.
But would it be built on top of the Frontierland train station?
Does anyone have more information on this picture or a larger version?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hi Jrriddle! Yep, that`s the location. It`s a pretty old plan since the theatre looks uncovered, and that red line on the railroad may be the station still - as if the ride was going to go over it... or is it the front of the mountain?

It could be the often rumoured Splash Mountain Hybrid coaster...rumours of which are pointing towards a 2012 date. I wish I had any more art, sadly like Geyser Mountain these projects seem under lock and key.

jrriddle

Original Poster
You are da Man Marni! Thanks.
Geyser Mountain is another one I would love to get a look at.
I understand the area where GM was going to be built will now be taken up by Toon Studios. (Yes/No)?

So any one else have information/opinion on this picture?
I know you DLP fans are out there...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I am de man! I am de man! - sorry; a bit of my heavy metal days coming out there...

I`m a bit dubious about the GM plot being taken by Toon Studios. Without knowing the shape of the proposed GM show building I can`t be certain, but take a look at the map below. The yellow area is the GM area - I`ve placed PotC there to scale for an idea of the size. Toon Studios area is in red - this seems to be too big, but I do know the parking lot there is now closed for construction; maybe to be built on, maybe just for site offices and a construction yard. Funnily enough, how I`ve place PotC looks more like how Wester River was meant to fit into WDW.... Hmmm!

And for reference, I`ve marked in blue the area of the SM plan you posted too.

Attachments

• DLP geyser, splash & toon aerial.jpg
    DLP geyser, splash & toon aerial.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 83

jrriddle

Original Poster
You are IRONMAN!
(How that for a Heavy Metal reference?) :lol:
Great job, thanks.
Still gets me down when I think of what this park could have been!

Madison

The red surrounding the railroad track is a tunnel, as found in both American versions of Splash Mountain. It appears as if there is a railroad station in the top-right part of those plans in an area that is now a petting zoo of sorts.

This is certainly Splash Mountain, but with a different flume layout than in both Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom. I don't know enough about how Tokyo's ride is arranged to make a judgement one way or another about its similarity to this proposed Paris version. Note also that the plan shows a split loading station, again unlike either American version of the ride.

It also seems like this proposal for Splash Mountain would really mess with crowd control in the area surrounding the Chaparral Theater, as many of the paths leading to and from the theater would disappear or be rearranged.

In any case, it would be nice to have a larger version of that photo and certainly something showing more of the park. Those plans seem to have been abandoned based on other plans I've seen while scouring the Web which show no Splash Mtn., though the theater has been covered.

jrriddle

Original Poster
Upon closer inspection, the red being a tunnel & moving the train station does make sense. There even seems to be a new path to it.
And you are right about crowd control around the Chaparral Theater. When Marni did that map it was the first thing to come to mind.
I would say knock down the Chaparral and have the flume empty right into the river.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The tunnel does make sense, thanks Madison. I can verify it`s nothing like Tokyo`s layout either. Must do a map of that sometime.... :D

The Chaparral has limited loading through the back of the theatre (lile Indy @ MGM) - perhaps they would make this the main entrance (more holding room, but it`s a bit backstage there at the moment) or use the area next to the flume as a long queue area. By the natture of the theatre though we observed after an initial push at doors open, guests just strolled in to fill the theatre slowly upto show time. Not a big need for a large holding area.

I too have a LOT of plans and proposals from DLP, none show either SM or GM. Big secret! As a side note, I have got concepts of Discovery Mountain (several versions, including the name Space Mountain with it`s tubes to Visionarium- was only supposed to be Discovery Mtn that did this), Little Mermaid & Beauty and the Beast confirmed plots, Jungle Jeep EMV plot and an VERY extended Indy Peril - with Jungle Jeep & Indy side by side. Also a few pieces on Disney-MGM Europe (including the second parking lot with tram service)

Jriddle; I know what you mean about what could have been, but never say never. Every where I look in DLP phase 1 I`m amazed at the quality and detail - it`s so apparent why the park alone cost nearly $2 Billion in 1992. At least a rumour like Splash don`t go away; it`s still on the backburner according to the grapevine.

Madison

Martin, you'd be my favorite person in all of Europe if you were able to share some of that stuff with us. I eat this up.

It's impossible to tell the scale of that Splash Mountain master plan, but I superimposed it over a high-resolution aerial photo of the park.

Splash Mountain Overlay

I don't think I'm privileged enough to insert it directly into the post.

I'm fairly sure the scale is a bit wrong -- I had some trouble getting the theater and the building at the top right to line up with one another and keep the same aspect ratio. The plan photograph wasn't taken perpendicular to its surface, either, so there's some distortion because of that, as well.

jrriddle

Original Poster
marni1971 said:
I too have a LOT of plans and proposals from DLP, none show either SM or GM. Big secret! As a side note, I have got concepts of Discovery Mountain (several versions, including the name Space Mountain with it`s tubes to Visionarium- was only supposed to be Discovery Mtn that did this), Little Mermaid & Beauty and the Beast confirmed plots, Jungle Jeep EMV plot and an VERY extended Indy Peril - with Jungle Jeep & Indy side by side. Also a few pieces on Disney-MGM Europe (including the second parking lot with tram service)

And where would one go to see such concepts? (hint hint :D )
You really have to set up a website with this stuff one day.
Lawsuits be damed!

jrriddle

Original Poster
Madison said:
Martin, you'd be my favorite person in all of Europe if you were able to share some of that stuff with us. I eat this up.

It's impossible to tell the scale of that Splash Mountain master plan, but I superimposed it over a high-resolution aerial photo of the park.

Splash Mountain Overlay

I don't think I'm privileged enough to insert it directly into the post.

I'm fairly sure the scale is a bit wrong -- I had some trouble getting the theater and the building at the top right to line up with one another and keep the same aspect ratio. The plan photograph wasn't taken perpendicular to its surface, either, so there's some distortion because of that, as well.

Nice job Madison. Thanks

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
As jriddle said, nice. It`s uncanny how well it fits - down to the curve around the berm at the rear of the Cookhouse (top building). One day, one day...

I`m supposed to be finishing off my Star Tours editing... Okay, I`ll start collecting some of my DLP things.

penfold12

Guys, im really sorry to sound dumb, but whats Geyser Mountain? Is it a flume ride simillar to Grizzley Rapids @ DCA? If so,and if it was cloned to the same standards, without watering it down as they seem to these days, it would be a good addition to the park! I was at DCA this year, and that was one of the few stand out attractions

penfold12

BTW, Marni, well done on the info! I spend hours on the net and in my books looking for info and updates much to my other halfs moans, and now I know who to ask!!! lol Cheers

jrriddle

Original Poster
penfold12 said:
Guys, im really sorry to sound dumb, but whats Geyser Mountain? Is it a flume ride simillar to Grizzley Rapids @ DCA? If so,and if it was cloned to the same standards, without watering it down as they seem to these days, it would be a good addition to the park! I was at DCA this year, and that was one of the few stand out attractions

It was a very cool sounding ride for Frontierland using ToT technology.

You can read about it here:

http://www.dlp.info/Guide/Fan-Area/F-Files/The-Lost-Rides/index.html

This is a great series and some good reading.
Also Jim Hill did a story on it. I don't have the link but use the search function at his site.

penfold12

Now thats an attraction!! Thanks for the link. Why oh Why can't they build that! All I hope is that ToT at the studios is simillar to the WDW version, not the DCA clone. The one at DCA has none of the lateral "5th Dimension" section. When I asked why I was told it was due to ride problem, but have been told more over it was due to costs

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom