DL in Feb or May?

jenbierling

Original Poster
We're thinking about a family trip to S. Cal next spring, and are trying to decide what month is best. We're really open on dates, but are hoping to avoid spring break/Easter crowds, and want to avoid the heat, so we're considering Feb or early May. We've not been to DL before, but are frequent WDW visitors. Feb would be my preference (except Pres. week) in Orlando, but I'm wondering if DL has the same crowd patterns? Also, is it too cold in Feb? We'll have a 4yo and a 10 month old. Any advice?

Nicole220

There's pros and cons to both months.

Feb:
pro- less crowded
con- more rides down for refurb, cold, rainy weather

May:
pro- better weather, more rides open
con- more crowded (but not quite summer crowds)

Just so you know, Indiana Jones is going to be down for refurb the first few months of '08. I'm not sure if it'll be open in May, but it'll for sure be down for Feb.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask! There are a lot of us that are very knowledgeable on the DLR. :wave:

mouselvrmom

There's pros and cons to both months.

Feb:
pro- less crowded
con- more rides down for refurb, cold, rainy weather

May:
pro- better weather, more rides open
con- more crowded (but not quite summer crowds)

Just so you know, Indiana Jones is going to be down for refurb the first few months of '08. I'm not sure if it'll be open in May, but it'll for sure be down for Feb.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask! There are a lot of us that are very knowledgeable on the DLR. :wave:

So do you think Indiana Jones will be down in December of 07? We have never experienced that ride and would like to try it.

Disneyfalcon

I agree with Nicole. February will be a little chilly with a greater possiblity of rain, but no crowds. Early May should be great weather but the crowds are a little higher. They're not horrible, just a little more crowded.

Disneyland crowds are much more subject to the locals then WDW's are. A huge percentage of WDW's crowds are people there on a vacation - not day trippers. Therefore at WDW the weekends aren't tons worse then the weekdays. Disneyland is not like that. There's a ton of daytrippers there. If the locals are out of school - it will be crowded. Weekends year round are crazy.

:)

TTATraveler

Hi mouselvrmom!!

I agree with Nicole. February will be a little chilly with a greater possiblity of rain, but no crowds. Early May should be great weather but the crowds are a little higher. They're not horrible, just a little more crowded.

Disneyland crowds are much more subject to the locals then WDW's are. A huge percentage of WDW's crowds are people there on a vacation - not day trippers. Therefore at WDW the weekends aren't tons worse then the weekdays. Disneyland is not like that. There's a ton of daytrippers there. If the locals are out of school - it will be crowded. Weekends year round are crazy.

:)

I have been to DL in Feb (Presidents Weekend 2003) and May 2005. I would go in May. The weather in Feb was in the 60s and not very sunny. It wasn't really rainy, just overcast to mostly cloudy. The weather in May was great, sunny and 70s. The parks weren't really that busy either, 30 minute wait tops. Weekends will always be busier there and the beginning of May is going to be better then the end of May in terms of crowds.

jenbierling

Original Poster
Thanks all, for the advice. I think I'll start looking into early May! Hopefully if we go before schools get out, the crowds won't be too bad. And maybe Indiana Jones will reopen by then also!

isitingood

I have been to DL in Feb (Presidents Weekend 2003) and May 2005. I would go in May. The weather in Feb was in the 60s and not very sunny. It wasn't really rainy, just overcast to mostly cloudy. The weather in May was great, sunny and 70s. The parks weren't really that busy either, 30 minute wait tops. Weekends will always be busier there and the beginning of May is going to be better then the end of May in terms of crowds.

It doesn't always rain in Feb, it's a hit and miss one year it will and another it won't. I go almost every year in either Jan or Feb and the crowds are small except for weekends.

TP2000

I vote for May. Better weather, fewer rehabs, and crowds are actually less than if you aim for anything within 10 days on either side of Presidents Day.

They always do the "SoCal Salute" ticket sale in winter, and weekends from January through April are crazy. The SoCal Salute ends around Easter, and May is relatively quiet.

Just do a search of any Disneyland message board and you'll find endless threads devoted to the concept of "Why is it so crowded a week before/after Presidents Day?!?"

Just avoid the crapshoot of crowds and rain that February always is, and go in early or mid May. You'll love it.

isitingood

If you like warmer weather then may would be the answer. But I like less crowds that's why I go in late Jan. You can look it up or call one of the hotels and they will tell you that the best time for small crowds is the week after Christmas til presidents day

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom