DisneySky - COMPLETE

Suchomimus

September 1st, 1938, was meant to be the final day of peace before the beginning of Word War II. The idea was to subtly suggest a neverending peacetime. (It’s the same year when The Rocketeer is set.)
You’re behind a whole year on that, though the date is commonly confused.
6047.jpg

Plus The Rocketeer is set in the middle of October, as seen on a calendar and Peevy’s blueprint.

Suchomimus

So these points are funny, but...

At the end of the day, none of these criticisms matter. DisneySky is the gold standard of armchair imagineering and no amount of nitpicking will bring it down.
100% agree. Everything about it is fantastic.
I don't want to bring something like this down with nitpicks. Not with a friend or their personal project that was developed and finetuned for years. Stuff always happen; interpretations, compromises, oversights, afterthoughts, and eternally malleable designs and implications. But that stuff is not what DisneySky should be known for or be remembered by.

Garfield Builder

enhance

DISNEYSKY

“Welcome one and all to a realm where the sky's the limit. DisneySky imbues all who enter with a spirit of curiosity and excitement. Here scientists, dreamers and adventurers explore the space above our heads. DisneySky is dedicated to Man’s yearning for unknown horizons. May this bold place inspire flights of fantasy throughout the world.”
DisneySky dedication

(displayed on the park’s iconic Dreamers statue)

DisneySky brings an exciting new blue sky to Disney Parks. DisneySky is a realm which fully embraces all the myth and romanticism of flight, of Man’s obsession with the skies. This all-new park is a celebration of Man’s technologies and cultures, of the progress which they create, as told through the history of flight. Many shared concepts appear throughout the park: aviation, space flight, astronomy, meteorology, and related fields.

Starting in the mythic pasts of ancient China and continuing up to the present day (and, hopefully, someday into mankind’s distant future), DisneySky offers up seven beautifully-realized “destinations” for our guests’ enjoyment. All these destinations are gathered around the park’s central icon, Mt. Helios. This towering, snow-capped mountain is an eternal symbol of nature and the heavens above – the unattainable ideals which forever keep Man driving forward. Found in the park’s center, Mt. Helios ties together all of DisneySky’s destinations into a singular thematic whole.

enhance

Visitors begin by entering Runway One, a mid-century Jet Age airfield reflecting a romanticized Golden Age of Civil Aviation. Idealized terminals and hangars draw the eye to Inspiration Observatory at the base of Mt. Helios, where our paths diverge.

From there, guests proceed into the distant pasts of Mythic Realms, a Chinese oasis where legends of storms, sky deities and fantastic flying creatures mix with history’s earliest flying inventions.

The story of flight continues into Discovery Glacier, a Victorian scientific outpost in the Arctic where lighter-than-air dirigibles, balloons and airships – all realized in an adventurous steampunk style – probe the unexplored corners of earth.

Pioneer Fields brings us to the early age of the airplane, represented by a 1920s Andean village where barnstorming, crop dusting, and other newfangled exploits open up a new world for exploration in the skies above.

Aviation technology matures into Diesel Bay, a shimmering “dieselpunk” metropolis which has sprung up from the coastal jungles of Micronesia, fueled by wealth brought by air tankers, jetpacks and zeppelins.

Next we enter the Space Age and shatter the bounds of earth in Cosmic Crater, a land of rocket ships and UFOs based out of a Mojave Desert meteor crater, flavored with a pulpy retro-futuristic spirit.

Lastly, Avengers Airspace presents the Modern Age of aviation as filtered through the heroic lens of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, realized with a Midtown Manhattan overflowing with superheroes, fighter jets and a single, enormous helicarrier.

A fantastic adventure awaits us as we explore DisneySky! Let us begin our final descent now into Disneyland Resort and experience the many great pleasures of this third gate!
I think this could use a bit more polish. Luckily, I am just your Imagineer.

DisneyManOne

enhance

Park Location

DisneySky is located in the “Strawberry Fields” expansion pad south of Katella Ave. and east of Harbor Blvd. Most of the park space is made from the existing Toy Story Parking Lot - additional parking spaces are created elsewhere in the resort to offset this loss. To increase park acreage, some of the bordering commercial structures on Harbor are also razed and developed.

The residential areas east of the Disney-owned parking lot are also a part of DisneySky. It is reasonable to assume that Disney already secretly owns some of this land through shell corporations.
I've been re-reading this project, and there's one question that's been on my mind. If the residential areas were destroyed, it would surely cause a bit of an uproar. And knowing how concerned Disney is with their PR, surely they'd have to do something to quell the flames. Would a new apartment complex be built elsewhere in Anaheim to replace the ones lost to DisneySky?

D Hulk

Original Poster
I've been re-reading this project, and there's one question that's been on my mind. If the residential areas were destroyed, it would surely cause a bit of an uproar. And knowing how concerned Disney is with their PR, surely they'd have to do something to quell the flames. Would a new apartment complex be built elsewhere in Anaheim to replace the ones lost to DisneySky?
Absolutely the residents would receive new, better homes in Anaheim on Disney’s dime! This should have been made explicit in the project, but perhaps I forgot to mention it.

The recent Disneyland Forward expansion proposal shows how tricky this site is to develop. As it stands, without acquiring the nearby land, it’s too small and awkward for a third gate...so Disneyland Forward turns it into a shopping district. I tried to approach the project realistically, which is made difficult by the ever changing politics of Anaheim.

spacemt354

Chili's
TABLE OF CONTENTS
DISNEYSKY GENERAL OVERVIEW
DISNEYLAND RESORT THIRD GATE INFRASTRUCTURE
RANCHO DISNEY ENTERTAINMENT DISTRICT
DISNEY'S VILLA CIELO HOTEL & SPA
PLAZA OF THE FOUR WINDS
RUNWAY ONE
MYTHIC REALMS
DISCOVERY GLACIER
PIONEER FIELDS
DIESEL BAY
COSMIC CRATER
AVENGERS AIRSPACE
SEASONAL EVENTS
EXPANSIONS
PARK SPECTACULARS
*cracks knuckles*

Time to start reading this again!

HomeImagineer

Fixed, hopefully.
Hey D Hulk do you check out my second gate plans, if not then go in the link down below, i had some great ideas just like you.

D Hulk

Original Poster
Hey D Hulk how to you enjoy my park idea so far.
I’m very much enjoying it. So far it would absolutely be a better version of DCA. I appreciate how thoughtful your approach has been so far. Hope to see you continue through New DCA as well as the other planned parks; it’s a ton of work!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom