DisneySky - COMPLETE

Arktic

enhance

This now concludes our extensive tour of Disneyland Resort’s third theme park. We hope you had a pleasant journey.

Thank you for visiting DisneySky!
What a ride. Welp, only one thing left to do now.

Simply Step in Time...

Suchomimus

Exterior bas relief carvings on the upper levels depict mythological birds like the Phoenix or the Roc.
I just need to get this one off my chest. How many reliefs are there in total and what are the birds that are depicted? Or will there be some exceptions with other winged beasts like the Griffin, the Pegasus, the Wyvern, and the Simurgh (seen below.)?
main-qimg-c1b7d793cc7dc1028603a5316534bc6a

D Hulk

Original Poster
I just need to get this one off my chest. How many reliefs are there in total and what are the birds that are depicted? Or will there be some exceptions with other winged beasts like the Griffin, the Pegasus, the Wyvern, and the Simurgh (seen below.)?
main-qimg-c1b7d793cc7dc1028603a5316534bc6a
This is a detail I hadn’t fully thought out beforehand.

But thinking about it now, since this is the Tradewinds Department Store, let’s create four bas reliefs in total, one for each of the four winds. And let’s pick mythological birds from throughout the world. So in addition to the Phoenix (Greek) and Roc (Middle Eastern), let’s add the Fenghuang (East Asian) and Quetzalcoatl (Latin American).

James G.

This is a detail I hadn’t fully thought out beforehand.

But thinking about it now, since this is the Tradewinds Department Store, let’s create four bas reliefs in total, one for each of the four winds. And let’s pick mythological birds from throughout the world. So in addition to the Phoenix (Greek) and Roc (Middle Eastern), let’s add the Fenghuang (East Asian) and Quetzalcoatl (Latin American).
What? No "Filla-Ma-Loo Bird"?! (Fulica stultusregrediens). I supppose I can understand why- it is strictly North American.

Suchomimus

And let’s pick mythological birds from throughout the world. So in addition to the Phoenix (Greek) and Roc (Middle Eastern), let’s add the Fenghuang (East Asian) and Quetzalcoatl (Latin American).
Well does the answer my question as to if there would any outliers here because Quetzalcoatl is a serpent with plumage. But if it's an actual bird you want to represent the South Wind, might I suggest the Chilean Alicanto? It's a nocturnal bird with glowing, metallic feathers that reflects its diet; golden wings if it eats from a gold mine, silvery wing if it eats from a silver mine.
8884c3771b63487c9b4ebdc7316443e6.jpg

As for other mythical birds and winged beasts not represented in Mythic Realms or on the reliefs, I think they could put on mobiles in the checkout area of Tradewinds or perhaps in either Avionics or Cayley's Gallery.

Last edited:

D Hulk

Original Poster
Wait, did you have Quetzalcoatl represent the South Wind, with the Fenghuang representing the East, the Phoenix as the North and the Roc as the West?
Yes.

I’ll cede creative control of this topic to you. Your in-depth thinking on this matter has matched the DisneySky philosophy quite nicely so far.

Suchomimus

Yes.

I’ll cede creative control of this topic to you. Your in-depth thinking on this matter has matched the DisneySky philosophy quite nicely so far.
Even if this is a joke, I'd be happy to share my take on Tradewinds bas reliefs (and its birds). As the building is elongated, the east and west side have more room for complete scenery. Starting with the north side, our attention would be drawn to the Phoenix with its wings spread out as it emerges from fire. Going clockwise to the eastern side, we have the Roc descending down onto a herd of Indian elephants as the sun rises over windswept grasslands. Come south, we come face to face with the Alicanto with wings of silver about to eat a silver ore underneath the stars. And on the western side is the Thunderbird sweeping across the moonlight hoodoos of Utah's Bryce Canyon, leaving a trail of raining lightning clouds.

Last edited:

D Hulk

Original Poster
Even if this is a joke, I'd be happy to share my take on Tradewinds bas reliefs (and its birds). As the building is elongated, the east and west side have more room for complete scenery. Starting with the north side, our attention would be drawn to the Phoenix with its wings spread out as it emerges from fire. Going clockwise to the eastern side, we have the Roc descending down onto a herd of Indian elephants as the sun rises over the Indian grasslands. Come south, we come face to face with the Alicanto with wings of silver about to eat a silver ore underneath the stars. And on the western side is the Thunderbird sweeping across the moonlight hoodoos of Utah's Bryce Canyon, leaving a trail of raining lightning clouds.
I absolutely wasn't joking, and your response proves it. This is a lovingly detailed concept for the bas reliefs. Actually, Tradewinds for some reason was always one of the tougher shops for me to theme. I truly appreciate your passion for this project.

Suchomimus

I absolutely wasn't joking, and your response proves it. This is a lovingly detailed concept for the bas reliefs. Actually, Tradewinds for some reason was always one of the tougher shops for me to theme. I truly appreciate your passion for this project.
I..I..I don't know what to say but thank you. Thank for being one of the heartiest, friendliest, smartest, funniest, most creative and open people to have graced these forums (and Theme Park Insider). Commissioning an artist to draw concept art of your park is definitely on my bucket list.

Last edited:

Suchomimus

L2F-May-19-pic-history-Philippines-Vigan-Calle-Crisologo-iStock-507302174.jpg

Set directly north of DisneySky’s entry gates, Rancho Disney will provide park guests with a great respite. Dining, retail and entertainment amenities will satisfy all tastes. Below is merely a sample of the tenants found at Rancho Disney, with a description of their architectural theming. Note that several of these venues are KEPT from the existing GardenWalk.

Dining

California Pizza Kitchen

KEPT
The existing venue becomes a crumbling old pueblo house inspired by the historic house on Olvera Street, plus the Governor's Mansion in Santa Fe.

Crossroads at House of Blues
KEPT
This eatery for House of Blues Anaheim displays the same mission church theming as her sister establishment (see "Entertainment").

25202a4121327d112c2fc6aecbcfca0a.jpg

FIRE + iCE Grill + Bar
KEPT
The beloved drink spot becomes charro (Mexican horseman) stables, meant to compliment the all-new Disney-run Charro Bar (see below).

Johnny Rockets
KEPT
This becomes a 1920s-era corner diner much in the style of Philippe’s in Los Angeles, evoking the same sense of history.

P.F. Chang’s China Bistro
KEPT
The front facade takes inspiration from L.A.’s historic Chinatown very close to the Olvera Street pueblo. An elaborate backstory is created about when immigrants from other parts of the world started to settle in Rancho Disney, bringing their own cultural heritage with them.

La-Ruina-Park-Bar-in-Sonora-Mexico.jpg

The Cheesecake Factory
RELOCATED
The existing location, set facing Katella outside of what will become the security perimeter, is unusable. That spot becomes a corner market accessible from Katella and Clementine Street, and is officially not a part of Rancho Disney.

The Cheesecake Factory relocates to a prime location near Rancho Disney’s crescent plaza. It is set within an old repurposed tortilla factory, complete with weathered old factory equipment on display in the lobby.

McCormick & Schmick’s
RELOCATED
The existing location is bulldozed outright to create room for the People Mover station and park access routes. The restaurant relocates similarly to The Cheesecake Factory, to a charming tienda adorned with quaint Mexican fishing supplies.

wa_losangel_at_dtolvera3.jpg

Earl of Sandwich
RELOCATED
The present Earl of Sandwich in Downtown Disney is located in a contested spot, endangered by west side hotel development. A new Earl of Sandwich opens in Rancho Disney, set in a historic early 20th-century firehouse. This facade, inspired by a similar station on Olvera Street, tells of when the Rancho started to develop into a more modern city.

Starbucks
To complement the two Starbucks in Downtown Disney, a new Rancho Disney location opens. It is set in a milhouse, whose machinery on display implies coffee bean grinding.

rancho-la-puerta-mexico-conde-nast-traveller-14feb17-pr.jpg

The Charro Bar
This is a UNIQUE new restaurant set in the center of Rancho Disney’s crescent plaza - a new open air space created from confusing GardenWalk terraces. Like Downtown Disney’s Uva Bar, this is an exterior bar which specializes in fine cocktails and tapas snacks. The setting is around an outdoor chiminea fire pit with wicker seating and a tall standing chimney being the sole remnant from a crumbled old adobe pueblo. The space is enlivened with live musicians and a general rancho fiesta vibe.

Tequila-Cellar-by-guadalajara-tour.png

The Agave Cellar
This all-new UNIQUE eatery is located in a vintage tequila distillery complex. The dining room is in a tequila barrel chamber. Many oak barrels are stacked about under arched clinker bricks. The Agave Cellar serves Mexican cuisine and margaritas designed by celebrity chef Rick Bayless.
Going back, these posts really feel as fresh as the day it was published (with the exception of images like for The Agave Cellar not showing up or a couple of videos being unplayable like Diesel Bay's land music). Though I can't be the only one who finds it is rather strange for The Cheesecake Factory here to be located in a tortilla factory. I would've thought an old creamery or flour mill (millhouse is also spelt wrong on Starbucks) would've fit the bill nicely.

Suchomimus

Mystic Realms is silkpunk (aka bamboopunk), a fantastical Bronze Age version of China littered with early kites and mythical creatures.
Just caught this as I was rereading through this.
Next we enter the Space Age and shatter the bounds of earth in Cosmic Crater, a land of rocket ships and UFOs based out of a Mojave Desert meteor crater, flavored with a pulpy retro-futuristic spirit.
Cosmic Crater is an Atom Age oasis in the harsh badlands of New Mexico.
And this.
81362806cb350d63313ab16645611e4a.gif

Last edited:

Suchomimus

TIME: September 1st, 1938
Something that's been bugging me. 500 B.C. is the end of the Bronze Age. 12/31/1899 is the tail end of the Nineteenth Century. April 12th of 1961 was when Man first flew beyond Earth's atmosphere, and Now is...well... now. Is there anything significant about this date and Pioneer Field's irl?

D Hulk

Original Poster
Something that's been bugging me. 500 B.C. is the end of the Bronze Age. 12/31/1899 is the tail end of the Nineteenth Century. April 12th of 1961 was when Man first flew beyond Earth's atmosphere, and Now is...well... now. Is there anything significant about this date and Pioneer Field's irl?
September 1st, 1938, was meant to be the final day of peace before the beginning of Word War II. The idea was to subtly suggest a neverending peacetime. (It’s the same year when The Rocketeer is set.) Looking into those dates now, no particular event stands out to make it important.

Pioneer Fields is set on March 17, 1929, which is when Plane Crazy was released as a sound cartoon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom